What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Luc Besson’s science fiction classic, The Fifth Element, finally makes its way to 4K UHD Blu-ray, and what a treat it is for the eyes and ears!

The Fifth Element (1997)

Released: 09 May 1997
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 126 min

Director: Luc Besson
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

Cast: Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Ian Holm, Milla Jovovich
Writer(s): Luc Besson (screenplay), Robert Mark Kamen (screenplay), Luc Besson (story by)

Plot: In the colorful future, a cab driver unwittingly becomes the central figure in the search for a legendary cosmic weapon to keep Evil and Mr Zorg at bay.

IMDB rating: 7.7
MetaScore: 52

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with most of what Todd wrote, especially regarding the technical merits of this release. I was fortunate enough to score a steeldisk exclusive cover from Best Buy.

My one difference, and it's largely personal, is the description of Tucker's character. Upon my many revisitings of this movie (probably dozens of times), his performance has grown from mildly annoying (I was focused on Willis and Jovovich on first view) to hilarious. Now I take just as much if not more pleasure in Holm and Tucker's performances as I do the primary performances. I'd include Oldman in there as well, I found his portrayal mildly annoying at first and now consider it brilliant. Again, different strokes for different folks, but this is how the film and the actors have grown on me over the years. I think I own this film in 4 different versions (1 DVD, 2 BD releases over the years, and now in 4K). That's how much I love this film.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I really enjoy this film. It's a lot of fun, with some great performances from some great talent. I have owned too many versions of the movie, and really hope this is the last time I will be buying this... but it's probably not. Still looking forward to watching this in 4K, though.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
gimmethecash.jpg
GIMME THE CASH!!!!!

*** pic not representative of the 4K picture quality...it's an iPhone pic of my TV, reduced even further for uploading to HTF...intended for humorous use only ***

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay not only was she on point, but halfway through she took her in-ear monitor out because of a problem. Remember how that one pop act blamed her bad singing at the Super Bowl because her IEM was malfunctioning so she couldn’t hear herself? Well this singer just had the same problem and absolutely nailed it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
All they needed was, at the end of the performance, for someone to come out with a wall-painted hat and laser gun yelling "GIVE ME THE CASHHHHHHHH!"

I have always been a huge fan of the film. Now, more than ever!

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I agree with most of what Todd wrote, especially regarding the technical merits of this release. I was fortunate enough to score a steeldisk exclusive cover from Best Buy.

My one difference, and it's largely personal, is the description of Tucker's character. Upon my many revisitings of this movie (probably dozens of times), his performance has grown from mildly annoying (I was focused on Willis and Jovovich on first view) to hilarious. Now I take just as much if not more pleasure in Holm and Tucker's performances as I do the primary performances. I'd include Oldman in there as well, I found his portrayal mildly annoying at first and now consider it brilliant. Again, different strokes for different folks, but this is how the film and the actors have grown on me over the years. I think I own this film in 4 different versions (1 DVD, 2 BD releases over the years, and now in 4K). That's how much I love this film.

This to a T.

These actors nailed their roles perfectly. They are all characters with their own idiosyncrasies. If anyone had the laziest jobs of acting, its probably Bruce Willis and his ex-commander who are playing (to a large degree) stereotypical roles for them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I will say this, I'll give Bruce credit for nailing the humorous parts. It's an underrated skill, comedic timing, and he could have very well been lost among the performances of the others (in a comedic sense), but he's right there with them. Yes, his character was relatively unchallenging, but the fact that he doesn't stick out like a sore thumb during the many humorous scenes in the movie is a testament to his proficiency in comedic timing.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It has been a few years since I’ve watched the movie. My recollection was that the Diva sang in such a way as to be not humanly possible. Therefore I’ve always assumed her voice was augmented in some fashion. In the above video the Diva sings in a way that is possible for an immense talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks