What's new

The Fifth Element SE (CONSOLIDATED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Both Deluxe Editions, Leon and 5th Element, have the Superbit logo on the back but not on the front. I haven't looked at 5th Element yet, but the new Leon does NOT have the screwed-up audio of the earlier Superbit release. It sounds fine!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

Ditto that!

I never did get the Superbit (what's the point, the original release was already excellent, the Superbit would only provide nominal improvement in pq).

Now that they are releasing an edition with supplements, and since I am a big fan of the film and Luc Besson, I will be picking this one up.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Thanks Aaron. I'm looking forward to your full review, but I'll be getting both of these regardless.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The surround channel levels on the initial pressing of Leon were very low or nonexistent. I can confirm this for the regular release as I once owned it and have only heard the Superbit has the same issue.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator

Weak bass and surrounds. The non-superbit version was corrected, and the case says "Newly Created 5.1" or something similar on the back. The superbit was never corrected.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hugh. I've watched the SB version several times (DTS) and never left the experience feeling that the bass was weak or that the surrounds were less active than they should have been.

If Columbia is so quick to "correct" a problem like this...ironic that we continue to suffer with the CLEARLY deficient 2.0 DD audio on our OAR Annie DVDs :angry:

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
Not having the original to compare to, I'm sure you wouldn't notice it. I haven't had the chance to do so yet, but I can tell that my corrected version has very prominent bass which would be easy to notice in a comparison.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Why not? Didn't everyone notice it in the first place?

Did the DTS and DD tracks both have the problem? The new DTS track has plenty of LFE and surround activity, but I haven't really checked the DD track yet.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator

I should have said you may not notice it rather than you would not. I would imagine people noticed the superbit was inferior by comparing it to the original, corrected 5.1, not to mention we already knew that a defective track had been issued in the past. I don't know if both the DD and DTS were affected on the superbit, and that's great news that the new release has it fixed(though I haven't seen a comparison to the original corrected 5.1).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think it's been assumed (at least on my part) the DTS tracks had the same flaws as the DD, but I haven't heard anyone compare the two and confirm whether it is just the DD track. On the standard release I noticed the increase of surround activity immediately after getting the corrected version.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
So the DTS on the new collectors set sounds *better* than the DTS on the SB version? That's important to me...would love to hear some confirmation. and a PQ comparision naturally...

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks