What's new

The Fifth Element SE (CONSOLIDATED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
Coming Jan 11th, Two DVDs, apparently dual layer...

The question which will hopefully be addressed in a review:

How much of the capacity of the movie DVD is used by by the actual film? The old version was a single layer flipper (WS/FS on alternate sides), so the whole movie was compressed into a single side. This ultimate edition has DTS, but is the transfer any better (average bit rate, DVD fill etc)?

David

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
From the official press release:
  • Digitally Mastered Audio & 16x9 Anamorphic Video
  • Audio: English Dolby 5.1 & DTS
  • Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Mandarin
  • Factoid Track (feature-length subtitled trivia)
  • "The Star Element" featurette and film gallery
  • "The Visual Element" featurette and film gallery
  • "The Alien Element" gallery of featurettes
  • "The Digital Element" featurette
  • "The Fashion Element" featurette
  • "The Diva" featurette
  • Poster Gallery
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Scene Selections

Diggin' those Mandarin subtitles! :)

The original release didn't have DTS or all those language subtitle tracks, but the Superbit didn't have the trivia subtitle track, so this is either the Superbit with the added subtitle track or a new authoring.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't the Region 2 SE have a commentary by the SFX crew? Kind of a bummer...but I'll probably pick it up since I never got the Superbit.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Coming out in a couple weeks, when should we be seeing the first review?

Wondering if I should sell my SB or not.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Pretty soon. Sony sent out request e-mails about a week and a half ago, and it usually takes them about two weeks to get product to reviewers - at least to me - so I expect it'll come this week...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Colin,

I'm looking forward to your review of the Fifth Element SE and hopefully the Leon Deluxe Edition as well. I'd love to get both of these blind, but I definitely need a solid review like yours comparing the previous editions before purchasing either.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If possible I'd love to see a good A/V comparison to the Super-bit DVD...want to know if the picture and sound is as good.

IMO, Columbia should have just released a 2-disc super-bit version with one disc for the film/DTS and the other for the extras...why won't they do this? Instead we get like 5 DVD releases for these titles...remember how many Men In Black versions there were to consider?

-dave

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
On the Sony website, all the Superbits have Superbit listed underneath the title when you view the DVD's page. This new version doesn't say that. This new version is also listed as cheaper than the Superbit. If this new version is in fact Superbit and has all the extras, why would it be cheaper? and why would it not say superbit under the title?

I don't think it's a superbit, but I've been wrong before.

Stew

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
When Mask of Zorro Superbit Deluxe came out, was the bonus disc the exact same disc as the second disc of the "special edition"? I think it was. It didn't match the Superbit disc at all and even said "Full Screen" on it. Don't know if it had a P&S version of the film on it or what. Haven't checked it out yet.

Seems to me Sony likes to economize. These deluxe editions are likely a new version of the "Superbit Deluxes." Seeing as how they disappeared. They changed the name so it wouldn't seem like they were selling the exact same product again. But, chances are, down the road you'll see Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 "Deluxe Editions" that have the superbit discs (possibly with new labels or even menu screens), and the bonus discs from the existing Special Editions. Pretty slick. They did away with Superbit Deluxes so people would buy the superbits and the special editions to get the best quality and the special features...only to bring out these "deluxe editions" later on so people could buy the titles AGAIN in one convenient package.

That's my intuition anyway. I'm glad I'm not too obsessive about special features.

BrentWW

Agent
For anyone interested in the video quality of the new release can look here... it is a video comparison of all the Fifth Element releases. Since the new R1 release looks identical to the R2 SE, I thought this might be relevant.

The edge on the comparison seems to go to the R1 Superbit.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I may be confused but I don't see the new release compared there. The new R1 release may in fact look SIMILAR to the R2 SE, but it couldn't be the same since R1 would be in NTSC and the R2 was in PAL. Right? Or do they use the same transfer and just "tell" it to be NTSC or PAL?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'll be posting a review within the next week. For those who are curious, the cover says SuperBit on the back (but not on the front). The new edition of Leon also says Superbit on the back. I don't know yet whether these are identical to the existing Superbit releases.

BrentWW

Agent
Will, the new release isn't there, but I thought I'd post the link anyway, just to give folks an idea of how the older releases compare to the "newer" R2 release. At least according to that website :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I read another review stating that LEON-SE is Superbit...
so I would guess that TFE would be, also.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Justin, I think most ppl are waiting for a review that is more in-depth in the A/V areas, in particular comparing the UE to the Superbit. There wasn't even a mention if the superbit logo was on the packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks