What's new

The Fifth Element...(Of Addiction) (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
HBO shows this movie about 3 times a week. Even though I have the DVD and have seen it about 15 times on TV, I find myself not being able to change the channel when I stumble across it. Even though there are some good action scenes, I don't have any particular love for this movie, as a matter of fact, I find that it has a very high level of cheesy-ness. But there is something about it that keeps me glued to the TV set every time it's on. Is this movie becoming one of those cult favorites? Is that why HBO plays it so much? Does anyone else here find it addictively entertaining in an odd type of way?...I sure do.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I think that when HBO buys the rights to show a movie, the license is good for a certain period of time. During that time, HBO can show it as many times as they want to without paying extra. That is why they'll be weeks where you see the same movie played dozens of times. The last time I lived in a house that had HBO, I remember they showing Clear and Present Danger constantly, and I would watch it almost every time I found it on. :)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've been thinking about this film for a while: why is it so... attractive?

When you get down to it, the story is pretty weak.

The characters are portrayed in such a way that card-board cut-outs have more depth than anyone onscreen.

A lot of people are annoyed by Ruby Rod, too - although I think that role and its portrayal is as important to the film as any other role in the film.

What makes it work, I think, and may have indirectly enhanced its popularity, is that the characters, while inhuman, have interesting interactions. They tell the story in an interesting way.

This is a case of, it isn't the story - which is cheesy drek - but of how the story is told.

Of course I may not have a clue about what I am speaking...

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

david stark

Second Unit
I love the film and I think it is genuinely good as well. Why? I'm not too sure, because as mentioned above it isn't about a complex story or the characters.

I love the look of the film, the sets, the costumes. It all looks so unreal, sort of comic book. Also sometimes (as in this case) a very simple story is all you need, it's just good vs evil. It is very well told, you are never lost thinking "what is going on" you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Although I love the film for other reasons as well, I still the think the number one draw for me is that it presents a fully realized world for you to visit for a few hours.

Car chases and gunfights aside, I find myself getting the most excited during the segment showing working class guys prepping the shuttle launch. The movie isn't only concerned with convincing you that the main characters are real, but that every single character/extra in it is real as well!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Also, I think very little in terms of "suspension of disbelief" is required to draw you into the world that "The Fifth Element" takes place. The world that Besson creates (along with all the rest of the crew that worked on the film) really does seem to exist, and all they did was show up with a camera and started filming.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
One of the things I like is the editing. Conversations are cut together from characters in two or three different locations.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
A good fun movie, with a not so subtle message 'love conquers all'.
I love the colorful effects, set design, the quirky characters especially
Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat played by the gorgeous
Milla Jovovich.:) :emoji_thumbsup:

"Moolti-pass"

Cagri

Second Unit
Kevin, I hear you. Your post perfectly tells my feelings about this film too... The funny thing is, I get bored in certain scenes but can't change the channel. I get stuck in front of the TV waiting for the next scene. Same thing happens to me with other Luc Besson films as well, except Taxi. Is the guy putting some spell into these movies or what? :)

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
The Fifth Element is like crack... I'm not really sure what makes it so addictive, but I keep upgrading my copies of the film. First VHS, then DVD, then Superbit...

I'm sure I'll upgrade to the SE if they ever release on in R1. It's such a visually amazing film, and all the characters (including Ruby, IMO) are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks