What's new

The Fifth Element: Blue Ray Review (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

It's not about that film in particular, it's about advocating that the studios start cropping films to fit his screen. That is the complete opposite of what this forum stands for. We don't care what he watches or how he watches it, but when he comes onto an enthusiast site and starts professing the superiority of his way of viewing and even tries to get the studios to release them that way, what the hell do you expect us to do, pat him on the back? :eek:

Oh and shingdaz? Before you start to think that everyone is picking on you and that you are the lone voice of reason in a forum full of nuts, do a search on "Mission Statement" and see how many other silly arguments have been made for cropping films (and how many were about as successful as yours in convincing us the error of our ways). In other words, drop it . . .

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
So silly. It makes no sense to me to watch a zoomed in, 480p presentation. Why spend the money on very expensive Blu Ray equipment and an HDTV to NOT watch it in high-def? This is highly illogical.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

No worries...I doubt HD-DVD or Blu will ever really reach the masses anyway...an occassional commoner may jump on board, but it'll be rare.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Most of it was no different than any other "screen filler" thread. But I must admit this is the first screen filler that (a) Bought an HD player (b) Set the HD player to output SD 480p just so he could fill the screen (c) Used that downres, zoomed and cropped setup to review an HD disk and (c) Feels that people should lobby the studios to start putting out cropped HD disks. That right there is the superfecta of screen filling. :)

shingdaz

Grip
Real Name
Peter

Before you guys think I actually talk to birds also...let me clarify my position some more...since I can't zoom the image @720p or 1080i...I will be buying myself a scaler to allow me to adjust the screen output at 1080i HD resolution...so don't worry about me losing out on all that resolution.

Oh not to mention, being a valued consumer of the HD dvd business, my opinion counts more in the $$$ end $$$ since I help pay their bills...I can definatly present my case to those funny guys down there...I'm not a Video Engineer!!!!...and I'm sure none of you are here either..."Im a simple consumer that wants things now!!! and wants them to perfectly satisfy me now> capiche?...making me a burger with low fat and no flavor simply because it's technically proper won't work!...engineers and all those smart guys know their stuff when making movies...for themselves...but if they want to impress us with HD then cut the technical Jargon 1:35:1 1:25:1 and give consumers the real deal....pretty simple stuff...or are you guys saying that in order to use HD eqpuipment you need a bachelors in video and sound science?

For the sake of further arguing...I agree this forum is for Home_Theatre enthusiasts...and will not impose my non technical beleifs on how to watch HD content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks