What's new

The fat lady may sing, but she needs to lose weight (or how can I see 4x3 on my Sony 40S5100?) (1 Viewer)

I don't regret the money spent on my Sony 40S5100 but I watch older movies and even some (HD) cable t.v where everyone seems short and fat. I really didn't like "letterbox" view on my old 30"crt, it seemed a tragic waste of real estate . But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind black bars on the sides if I could force 4x3 when necessary.

Zooming cuts off too much on the top.

Suggestions?

Len

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It sounds like your TV doesn't allow any type of aspec ratio changes when viewing an HD signal. Then don't view the signal in HD. Set the output of your source device to 480p and see if you can pillar box the screen on 4x3 content.

Hmm. My DVD player is an old Zenith combo DVD/VHS player with component output (no hdmi) going into a Sony HT-CT500 and then via HDMI to the TV. I doubt that I can change the output of the DVD player other than zooming.

Len

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is the CT500 upconverting to an HD resolution? You did not mention that in your first post.
From page 18 of your owner's manual concering different aspect ratios and how they will appear on your screen. Normal should be used for 4x3 sources.

Normal is available with 480i or 480p sources only as they are standard-definition and not from

high-definition source such as component video input, HDMI input and digital TV.

Hmmm. I believe the CT500 does up-convert. That would suggest I should connect a second output from the DVD player directly to the TV and when the source is 4x3 I should select that input and bypass the CT500 if I don't want fat people. Right?

Well, there was one more set of outputs on the back of the DVD/VCR player for yellow, red and white RCA plugs. (There is also an S-Video output). I connected those directly to the TV, so when I the fat lady syndrome is too annoying I can switch to 4x3 output. But then I lose the advantage of the HTCT external speakers.

I wonder, if I use only the yellow, composite video connection, is there a way I canl use the optical digital audio already connected from the DVD to the external HTCT system for sound?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have no idea why you can't use the speakers on the CT-500. How is the DVD player connected to the CT-500 now?

I thought I posted a response Thursday, but I don't see it. The DVD player is connected to the CT-500 with component (RGB)(video) cables and and optical digital audio cable.

The DVD player is also connected directly to the TV with Yellow, red and and white audio/visual cables.

When I watch the direct setup I see 4x3 video in the correct aspect without up conversion by selecting the correct video output for the television on the television's setup menu. The sound also comes through the TV. But there is no option I can find that would allow me to send the sound through CT-500 when the video is going first through the TV.

I wonder if I sent the TV's output to the CT-500 and then exported it again to the tv, if that would work... or would the CT-500 upconvert the signal again and put me back where I started?

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Connect component video out from the DVD player to the TV (I assume your TV has component inputs, so you can use those, if not then just use the yellow composite video connection). Connect optical digital audio out from the DVD player to the CT-500. Make the CT-500 and TV are set to the correct inputs. You'll have video going to the TV and audio going to the CT-500.

Later on down the road, invest in a blu-ray player or DVD player with HDMI.

Thanks.. I had tried that with the composite video cable and the optical digital, as you suggested. Substituting component cable was going to be my next step, but first I took the CT-500 manual to bed with me and studied it more closely. The instructions were there in black and white. "Converting the resolution of analog video input." I still didn't understand it but I looked more closely at the "GUI Menu" on the CT-500. I tried various menus and then saw a downward carrot at the bottom of the screen which led to several options I hadn't seen before which led me to a video settings menu that allowed me to select 480/576p instead of "auto" which had been the default setting.

Voila! or rather D'uh!

RTFM AND try everything.

When I switched back to CATV input the unit automatically switched back to its automatic setting, showing the wide screen view. I was interested to see what the menu would show for those options. Since the CATV input was HD, it did not show the options but simply said "not in use." When I switched back to the DVD the 480/576 setting had been retained. I don't know what will happen when I try a different DVD, but at least now I know where to go to change it.

Thanks both Robert and Matt for your patience and help.

By the way, the test DVD was of a live theater performance of Hamlet with Richard Burton. Watching it in proper aspect was with the CT-500's speakers was wonderful. I had seen the performance live when I hitch-hiked to New York for the World's Fair in 1964. A short fat Burton would not have been the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks