The Fast Runner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve jaros, Jan 22, 2003.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I've yet to meet anyone who has actually seen this film who doesn't think it's the best of the year.

Yet it doesn't appear on any of the "oscar predictions" lists i've seen. I wonder if many critics missed it as well?

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Critics gave mostly positive reviews to Atanarjuat, the Fast Runner--witness the 80 "fresh" reviews out of 89 on Rotten Tomatoes--and it did appear on its share of top ten lists. I suspect the reason you haven't heard much other talk about it is that a three hour Inuit film shot on digital probably isn't going to pop up in the multiplexes.

In regards to the Oscars, I believe its eligibilty was last year, which is why it has no buzz this year.

3. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Mark: Thanks for info on Fast Runner being eligible for the Oscars last year - i didn't know that.

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I, too, thought it was a great film. I saw it in 2001, when it screened at the Montreal FCMM festival, and I attended the Q&A session with the director, Zacharias Kunuk.

In regards to its eligibility, Canada had submitted the film as its Oscar entry in the foreign-film category last year.

5. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

6. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

As a great fan of Atanarjuat, I am very disapointed that the upcomeing American release is esentialy barebones. I guess that is more of a software topic.

Terry hit it on the head, the movie is amazingly anti Hollywood and it is about such ordinary 'looking' people there was no chance of an Oscar nomination.

I also think it did not recieve consideration for foriegn language film is because:

1. The acedemy considers Canada, just America Light.

2. The Inuit language is not a classicaly taught language in highschools.

Now if I could only get my hands on a Canadian disk [​IMG]