1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Farewell (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    [​IMG]
    Title: The Farewell

Tagline: Based on an actual lie.

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: Lulu Wang

Cast: Awkwafina, Tzi Ma, Diana Lin, Zhao Shuzhen, Lu Hong, Jiang Yongbo, Gil Perez-Abraham, Ines Laimins, Jim Liu, X Mayo, Aoi Mizuhara, Han Chen

Release Date:

Runtime: 98

Plot: A headstrong Chinese-American woman returns to China when her beloved grandmother is given a terminal diagnosis. Billi struggles with her family's decision to keep grandma in the dark about her own illness as they all stage an impromptu wedding to see grandma one last time.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I'm really surprised there hasn't already been a thread made for The Farewell, which has been making a lot of noise in limited release. Last weekend it became the first movie of the year to cross the $10 million gross mark while playing on under 1,000 screens. My screening a couple weekends ago was jammed full at my arthouse, where they were showing it on two screens despite only having three screens. And the movie is having all this crazy success because it's really good.

The whole cast is really good, but this is Awkafina's movie. I already knew she could be funny, but I didn't know that she had it in her to carry a serious dramatic picture with emotional weight. This is the kind of revelatory performance which changes the trajectory of one's career, because it demonstrates a range that was henceforth untapped by her previous roles, and it will change the perception of what she is able to deliver.

As indicated in the trailer, the basic plot is that Awkwafina's grandmother is dying and, per Chinese custom, the family has decided not to tell the grandmother about her disease or imminent passing. That's pretty much the plot of the whole movie, but it's not really about the plot and more about the characters and their interactions and how this lie affects them and their relationships. It's really outstanding and extremely emotional. I think Awkwafina will receive a Best Actress Oscar nomination for it, and she might well win, depending on what else is coming down the pike later in the year. It's really amazing work by her, and by Lulu Wang (the writer-director who based this on her own experiences) and everyone involved.

If it's playing near you, you should go see it. If it isn't, it probably will be soon, as its success is prompting further expansion.

Has anyone else seen this yet?

steve jaros and benbess like this.
  3. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Like it! My rating: "B+"

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I didn't like it as much as I hoped I'd like it. But it was okay.

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The movie expanded again today and is now in 861 theaters according to Box Office Mojo's records. If it hasn't played near you yet, it's worth checking to see if it's there now. I highly recommend it if it is.

6. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    Saw this last night thanks to a Fandango rewards "freebie", and was glad I did.

Heartwarming, well acted family movie about impending loss. Maybe not as good as the 99% RT score indicates, but a very good film nonetheless.