What's new

The Facts of Life Complete Series Jan 13th 2015 (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
That it was-- I remember seeing parts of both.
My mother came in the living room the other day all excited to tell me she had discovered a Dragnet from the 50's without Harry Morgan! Thanks, Mom, but even though that was your era, I guess I know more about the shows of the era than you! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Shout Factory pulled a shady move with their reissue of this. I purchased it a year or so back at my local Walmart and only got around to opening it and starting to watch it this past week.

I've discovered season 4 is missing "The Facts of Life Goes to Paris" and season 8 is similarly missing the Australian tv movie. Despite being called the complete series and the artwork mirroring the original complete series release from 2015, they've slimmed down the disc count and removed these two "extras" (With no words of caution on the back of the case about these cuts).

While I don't care about the latter omission, I'm fond of the Paris tv movie and disappointed to discover that my complete series set is anything but complete.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Shout Factory pulled a shady move with their reissue of this. I purchased it a year or so back at my local Walmart and only got around to opening it and starting to watch it this past week.

I've discovered season 4 is missing "The Facts of Life Goes to Paris" and season 8 is similarly missing the Australian tv movie. Despite being called the complete series and the artwork mirroring the original complete series release from 2015, they've slimmed down the disc count and removed these two "extras" (With no words of caution on the back of the case about these cuts).

While I don't care about the latter omission, I'm fond of the Paris tv movie and disappointed to discover that my complete series set is anything but complete.

Why would the revised/slimmed-down edition of that Facts all-in-one remove those bonuses?

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
Why would the revised/slimmed-down edition of that Facts all-in-one remove those bonuses?
It depends on where it is located on the set. The slimmed down version of shout complete series dvds generally have all the episodes but are missing the bonus disc so anything on that disc is gone. They have done the same for several others including Bob Newhart and All In The Family.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It depends on where it is located on the set. The slimmed down version of shout complete series dvds generally have all the episodes but are missing the bonus disc so anything on that disc is gone. They have done the same for several others including Bob Newhart and All In The Family.
They also did it with Barney Miller.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They did it with Leave it to Beaver when that one was reissued, too.

But in the case of 'The Facts of Life', these two tv movies aren't true bonus material even if labeled as such by Shout Factory. Very different from something like interviews, promos, and your other typical extras.

It appears that they went out of their way to make sure the Paris movie was removed from this reissue. Based off DVDTalk's review of the original 26 disc complete series release, the Paris film is incorporated in its proper location in season 4 while season 8's ' The Facts of Life Down Under' is pushed off to the now omitted bonus disc along with some other actual bonus content.

Yet in this 25 disc reissue the Paris movie is definitely absent just the same, despite not having been on that now removed 26th disc. And they didn't just recycle the original standalone season 4 discs for this reissue, either. Based off Amazon pictures that was a four disc release with the Paris movie paired off with the following three episodes on disc 1, rather than being on a disc of its own.

That means they actually reencoded season 4 for this reissue specifically (evenly dividing the 24 episodes after the season opener across the three discs), just to make sure that the Paris film was removed.

I assume it was done for parity since they killed off the bonus disc with the Australian film, but it makes me even more annoyed now.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That means they actually reencoded season 4 for this reissue specifically (evenly dividing the 24 episodes after the season opener across the three discs), just to make sure that the Paris film was removed.

So they turned the fourth go into a 3-disc affair, when it was originally a 4-disc affair, because they were removing that Paris film? Weird.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
I just checked my complete series set. While the Paris film is on the season 4 set sold individually it is not on the season 4 dvds in the complete set. Instead it is actually paired with the other film on the bonus dvd at the end of the set. So they apparently recoded season 4 either in the set or for the individual release.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While I don't expect any satisfaction and just wanted to let them know what I thought about this situation, I voiced my displeasure via Shout Factory's customer support about these two movies not being included with my set. They responded to ask if I had bought it from their online store (even though I clearly stated I bought it at my local Walmart), since what they're selling includes the two movies.

Only silence since then.
I just checked my complete series set. While the Paris film is on the season 4 set sold individually it is not on the season 4 dvds in the complete set. Instead it is actually paired with the other film on the bonus dvd at the end of the set. So they apparently recoded season 4 either in the set or for the individual release.
Thanks, this situation is slightly less irritating now that I know that. Left quite a sour taste behind when I thought it was the other situation.

I was basing my comments off this review, since I of course don't own the original complete series release and only have the newer reissue of this.

Their complete series DVD review states that the Paris movie is "available as part of the Season Four DVDs". Then when the reviewer starts discussing the bonus disc, they only mention the back door pilot for the series (The Girls School), The Facts of Life Down Under, and the Paley Center panel with the show's cast.

While the reviewer could've been clearer about it, I understand what was intended now. Rather than being paired off with the season 4 episodes that originally followed the Paris movie like I originally interpreted it to mean, they simply meant that it had been available previously in the standalone season 4 release.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks