What's new

The Facts of Life Complete Series Jan 13th 2015 (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I believe it was Shout Factory at that point.

Assuming that you're right, at least they didn't make it worse. Wouldn't shock me in the least to find that an episode that was complete in an earlier release from them, had issues in a subsequent version.

If it were most anyone else publishing this, I wouldn't of even inquired. But their attention to little details sometimes seems non-existent.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Sony originally released up to Season 3, so I'm guessing that Shout only had access to the Sony master from that earlier release.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
classicmovieguy said:
Sony originally released up to Season 3, so I'm guessing that Shout only had access to the Sony master from that earlier release.

Well, yes and no.

As I said before, on the Sony sets, Overachieving was missing about 45 seconds, which was restored for the Shout sets. Also, the season 2 two-parters had the "previously on" intros restored for the Shout release, while they were missing on the Sony sets.

I'm guessing the restored bits were things Shout knew about and got the full versions of the episodes, while the missing minute of Jo's Cousin they didn't know about. I know that people had complained in the past about Overachieving missing footage, but had never heard about the missing bit from Jo's Cousin.

...of course, it was one of those damnable spin-off episodes, so maybe no one was paying attention.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Good news for those who weren't thrilled at the prospect of buying the entire series just to get Seasons 6-9....

Shout! Factory has announced an individual release for Season 6.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20826

TheFactsOfLife_S6.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
rmw650 said:
That's a smart move on Shout's part to be doing this so we don't have to double-dip for the seasons we already bought just for the mere fact of getting the final few seasons of this or any show. Good thought process here.
This isn't the only one they've done this for: they also did it for Barney Miller, Mr. Ed, The Bob Newhart Show, and Hill Street Blues.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm personally very happy - I wasn't looking forward to shelling out more than I needed to in order to get the rest of the series. Hopefully "Facts of Life Down Under" will be included on the appropriate set, like the "Goes to Paris" special at the start of Season 4.

I've happily removed the Complete Box from my Amazon wish-list. Now all I need is for Mill Creek to reissue Season 3. The final disc in my current Sony set is a bit glitchy.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They also are doing this for Welcome Back Kotter too. Which is good for me since I already had Season 1 and I'm not sure if I want Season 4/final season yet so the complete set was way too pricey for me even on sale.

bmasters9 said:
This isn't the only one they've done this for: they also did it for Barney Miller, Mr. Ed, The Bob Newhart Show, and Hill Street Blues.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Does anyone know why this has been pulled from amazon, I mean the complete series? I get this warning on amazon now for it:

Note: This item is only available from third-party sellers

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

2 new from $143.66

Anyways, if you got it from amazon, you might want to check in to why this has happened. Deepdiscount i out of stock but has it on back order and only for 102 bucks. Shout Factory is having a 20% off sale right now and I was about to buy it but then saw it cheaper at deepdiscount and went ahead and ordered it there. Also deepdiscount is not honouring the free shipping on it because ti weights 2.5 pounds.....

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
That happens a lot - normally just lasts a few days. A couple of customers have complained about something - it's something I've seen before.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, it could be anything from a couple people getting sets with screwed up cases to the idiot who posts everywhere about Columbia 1988 Torch Lady Logo not included complaining about it.

But, as someone who ordered and watched the set, there were no disc problems, and maybe three edited episodes, one of which we were warned about ahead of time.

So either wait for Amazon to resolve their issue, or pick it up somewhere else, because the set is good.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My copy arrived yesterday. I'd ordered it from Amazon just prior to them placing the set "Under Review".

Mine included 2 copies of the Bonus Features disc while missing Season 9-Disc 2. I didn't complain to Amazon, though, since there's not yet an individual Season 9 release available and I didn't want to replace the whole set and risk dealing with another issue. So I just contacted Shout Factory customer service and today they've mailed a copy of the missing disc to me, which I should have in about a week (they said maybe a little longer due to the upcoming holiday).

Maybe others had a similar issue and did complain to Amazon.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And it would be something that affected later stock sent to Amazon, not the early Shout Factory sets.

So, bummer you got a screwed up set, but at least it's easily fixable. And, it was season 9, so odds are you won't even be ready to watch that season before the disc comes.

BlairWarner

Auditioning
Real Name
Blair Warner
Yes, that does sound like a reason Amazon would temporarily halt sales. It would only take a few for them to do it.

I preordered from Shout! so I've had my set for about six months now, and I just got around to ripping the whole thing to my local media server last weekend (yes, I love Facts so much I must have every episode on demand LOL). When doing this, I noticed that one of the discs (I want to say Season 7?) had the wrong label in the disc name file - I want to say both disc one and disc two said disc one when they were read by the computer. It was really confusing at first but I double checked and the discs themselves were fine and had the correct episodes, it was just the disc title that most folks would never notice. Just to be sure I'm going to go back and triple check because I'm parnoid after the talk about the wrong discs, LOL.

Tory

Real Name
Tory
Thanks for the information. I reckon this could be why deepdiscount is out of stock. The message about this needs to get out though as some people who purchased this set may not realize a disc from season 9 is not right until they get to it while viewing it. Maybe the guys at tvshowsondvd and a few other such newssites could alert consumers t check their discs? I hope amazon notifies customers who recently purchased these discs about this issue. This happened to me in the third season of hunter and I purchased all three together plus some other things. By the time I got to it I believe the company lost the licence and a year had past so I never got it replaced. I am thinking of getting a harddrive to back discs up to a server and I would do this with Facts of Life. I have experimented before but the picture wound up much darker than the actual dvd.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
The Obsolete Man said:
And, it was season 9, so odds are you won't even be ready to watch that season before the disc comes.

You're right. If there has to be a problem, at least it's with a disc from the final season. So I wasn't going to get to that disc right away.

classicmovieguy said:
This is why I'll always collect a series on a season-by-season basis.
That makes sense, but I still prefer getting complete series sets whenever I have the option. I just don't have enough optimism or confidence in companies sticking with a show to the very last season. (With the limited customer base for some shows, I can understand from a business perspective why they wouldn't.) Plus, I just enjoy being able to get every episode of a series all at once. After all those years of getting 4 random VHS episodes of a series per month back in the Columbia House days, I still get a kick out of making a single purchase and getting it all.

Tory

Real Name
Tory
Deepdiscount shipped it already. I half expected the backorder to take a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks