What's new

The Explorers DVD - Full Details (1 Viewer)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
We have details of October's release of The Explorers. Thankfully it won't be a standard bare-bones budget release:

Click here for the full article, including the cover art.

Edited to change widescreen ratio.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I think I watched this movie at least once a week when I was younger. How wonderful to see it in widescreen for the first time.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Wow, I'm really surprised Paramount bothered to do anything with the disc. I look forward to the deleted scenes.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I may be mis-remembering, but I don't think Explorers (not THE Explorers) was in scope, I believe it was 1:85 - I saw it two or three times on its initial release and I don't think my memory is failing me on this point.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Yes, "Explorers" is 1.85 (1.66 hard matte, Dante's preference before shooting scope with "Small Soldiers")

There are 2 versions of the film: the theatrical cut and the "Special Home Video Version". HDNet actually ran the theatrical cut, which has an entire sequence deleted(the bully & Wolfgang) and the tilt-a-whirl getting away from the kids when they push it home.

The Video version went straight from the dream to Ethan getting punched in the face at the fight. It also added the shot of the Thunder Road in the classroom for the final dream sequence. HDNet of course ran it 16:9 with a rather impressive 5.1 track (it had a 70MM 4.1 6-track discrete mix).

A TRUE deleted scene would be Lori's birthday party, filmed and cut out before release. Nothing special, but you do get to see the kids interacting more.

James L White

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: can't wait, great movie

but no River Phoenix commentary?? :wink: Ok, that was a cold, cruel (and lame) joke, sorry :p)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Peter,

are you 100% sure on this ? As both www.eofftv.com and www.imdb.com state that it is 2.35:1. Obviously, they both could be wrong, but it's hardly ever the case.

If you could point me towardsa trustworthy source I'll change the post / article accordingly.

Thanks

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
This is a DVD I'll buy for the first 2/3 of the movie. I never want to see that dreadful last act again. :D

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Chris:

Definately 1.85, saw it theatrically way back in July of 1985.

I also remember reading an article with Dante in the late 80's-early 90's about his frame preference, and it was (at the time) 1.66. Gremlins, Innerspace, Explorers, the 'Burbs (etc) were all hard-matted at 1.66. "Small Soldiers" was his first 2.35 film.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
The imdb is one of the least trustworthy sources for aspect ratios - they are wrong as often as they are right, which isn't a good thing. I'm glad I wasn't mis-remembering because I pretty much knew Dante hadn't shot in scope back then.

John*P

Second Unit

Huh?! I thought The Explorers was supposed to get the 2-disc Special Edition treatment??? (I'm not being sarcastic, btw.) I've read about that on a few sites...I guess it was either just a rumor, plans for it were scrapped, or it was info exclusive to a Region 2 release. I remember people being excited about the 2-disc release, as they were hoping that all versions of the movie would be included. (there are 2 or 3 versions, I think) Oh well, at least its coming to DVD...

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiousity: Why do people keep calling it "The" Explorers. Over and over again? The film's title is Explorers. It's always been Explorers, and yet seeming fans of the film just keep on calling it The Explorers.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Go figure people. I often catch my self calling Devil's Advocate "The Devil's Advocate," even though, like with Explorers, there is no "The" in the title.

CDE,

CS

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
So it has two deleted scenes but not the trailer....bizarre.

Oh well, coming from The Mount at least it will in all likelihood have a good transfer....would love to have heard Dante's musings on a commentary though, as I recall this one was close to his heart.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Excellent! I will definitely pick this up in my Rolls Canhardly! :) I would be pleased with any 16x9 transfer, so whatever they include after that is just icing! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks