What's new

The Exorcist..will there be a 2-disc SE? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I really hope there will be. AMC has been showing the original version lately...and when I say original, I mean ORIGINAL. The vintage WB logo appears, and the jump cut of Jason Miller towards the end is there, not computer enhanced. It actually looks pretty good too. It made me want a Special Edition of this title all the more.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not sure about any original, original version, but a pretty good SE of the non TVYNS has been made. It's pretty much the equivalent of a 2-Disc SE although technically, it's a double sided disc. It has an introduction and commentary by Friedkin and a commentary by Blatty with sound effects test. It also has a feature length documentary. Yes, sadly, it does not have the original WB Logo. I'm not sure that it's available on it's own anymore, but I believe it is available in the boxed set.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Next year is the 35th Anniversary...maybe then? The existing disc if you can find it is pretty good. The Chan 4 doc is excellent (as always).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The first DVD release (from either 1997 or '98) of The Exorcist had the original WB logo on it and no morph.

My personal vote would be for the original version's awesome SE since it's a great disc.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah I think the 25th anniverary edition on its own is out of print. But they boxed set of all the films (and I believe all the extras from the 25th ann. edition are in there) is available for around $25. Not a bad deal for 6 films (Counting the two cuts of the original) even if you feel all the other films are worthless. But $25 for the theatrical cut of the original with all the extras isn't a complete travesty

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator
why do you guys need a SE when there's already a collection with ALL the movies PLUS the orginal documentry.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a used copy of the 25th anniversary SE on eBay last year for around $6 bucks shipped. It was like new. It might be worth a look.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Better compression.

Even with WB's mangling of some of their new releases (compression-wise), their catalog releases have consistently been stellar.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I am happy with the SE but I would double (triple actually as I still have the first barebones release) dip for a visual and audio upgrade along the lines of what TVYNS received....with the condition that the audio upgrade didn't include all of the fiddling with the soundscape that the re-imagining did, I.E. none of the subtle incidental music inserted under the action. Offer the original Mono and a good 5.1 remix next time WB.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Between the 25th anniversary DVD and the "Version you never saw" DVD along with all the extras included on each, I already feel like I have a 2-disc special edition I'm quite satisfied with. I doubt I'd buy a newer release if they put one out next year. Those documentaries and commentary on each existing DVD are pretty comprehensive.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
The new box set would be great if only the origina cut transfer wasn't from 1997 or 1998 or whatever it is. Thats really damn old for a DVD transfer. Sure, it looks okay, it manages to be watchable but its really a shame that the video is merely adequete when it could be so much bettter. The extras are fantastic but the fact that its a repressing of a ten year old disk is pretty much the definitive proof in favor of a new edition. Even one that just recycled the previous extras but included new AV would be fantastic--and would be even better to include the Version Youve Never Seen as a branching option (even though the ending nearly ruins the whole cut its a really great alternate edit that would easily be fit together with the original cut on a single disk via modern dvd technology). The box set is still a pretty decent deal but i would much rather pay the same price for a really nice transfer of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yakitori
Recent bookmarks