What's new

The Exorcist: The Complete Anthology (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
That's what I'm figuring, Travis. I thought it was obvious. But do we actually know, or is it just an educated guess?

I was able to get this set for 14.44 at wal-mart. How? The stock people put a bunch of these in the slot where the old single disc "version you've never seen" should've been. I didnt even have to ask the the very polite sales guy to override the 29.99 price.

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

The Logo is Warner Bros 75 years entertaining the world ....not red. Picked it up at Walmart today for $29.99 and no breaks for me Robert you lucky bastard. :)

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I'm going to pass on this set. Like Joe, I think that parts 1 and 3 are the only good films in the Exorcist series, and both of them are truly outstanding. I don't like part 2 at all. I saw it once several years ago and it was such a bore; absolutely no scares at all. And I don't have any desire to see either version of part 4. Both of them look really bad.

I've got the "25th Anniversary Special Edition" and "The Version You've Never Seen" of the original as well as "The Exorcist III" and am quite satisfied. Of course, if Warner Bros. ever releases that SE of part 3 that was rumored a couple of years ago, I'll be all over that.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I was just hoping they would give the 73 version a nice new cleaned up transfer, along the lines of what TVYNS received, and a better 5.1 mix (as well as the original mono)....now that I would jump on in a heartbeat. TVYNS is ok for what it is but I don't like the majority of the new scenes and the new 5.1 soundtrack deviated quite significantly from the original enough for me not to like it....the subtle new "eerie" music cues they added into/underneath many scenes in the whole of the film, seemingly to "pump it up" for todays audiences, is not needed IMO and just gets on my nerves in comparison to the oscar winning original mix.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
While its unfortunate the original 1973 cut of the film did not receive a new transfer, its nice to have the chance to own it again --- I believe its been out of print for a few years now...?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Perhaps it was just back stock but I have spotted the "special edition" (re:25th anniversary edition) in stores every year since 1999 when it first came out including last Halloween.

You can't seem to buy it at any online sites so maybe it has gone out of print......twice the shame as this would have been the perfect time to revisit it with a new two disc SE as Warner's is apt to do with many older titles these days.....but don't get me wrong, if some people out there don't have this yet then it is INDEED a very good thing to have it back in print. :emoji_thumbsup:

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

Kevin, you can still order the 25th SE from .......

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....cid=60488&fp=F

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=3229

and I agree with you about the 2- Disc-er. Possibly the Anthology is a way for Warner to test the waters. If the Antholgy sells well, then I wouldn't be suprised if they put out a 2 or 3 Disc Ultimate Edition with both cuts of The Exorcist plus additional extras. Anyway, I'm glad to own this set for now. I sacrificed my copy of the 25th Anniversary Editiion in a Lot sale on Ebay when I needed some parts for the PC I was building 2 years ago.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
I find it funny that the sticker in those pics says "Includes 4 fantastic films", when it includes 5 movies. Of course it would have been more truthful to say it includes 2 fantastic films and 3 stinkers.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

:)
I had a friend over last year before I moved west and he had never seen it. This is a guy who doesn't usually get shocked by anything and I knew that scene was coming up and just watched him out of the corner of my eye and cranked the sound a bit just before. He literally (swear!) jumped up onto the back of the couch!!!!!
Was priceless.

;)

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

The copy I picked up at Walmart had a green sticker on the outer box which said includes 6 Films. They left out the fantastic part for obvious reasons.

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
I read a review somewhere that said all of the films in the new set had 5.1 mixes.
Can someone confirm for me that EXORCIST II THE HERETIC has a 5.1 mix?
That would be new as its always been mono everywhere before.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
I picked up the Complete Anthology today at SAMS for $24.88, which is the lowest I've seen it anywhere. I love the first film (especially the original version) and I like Exorcist III and Dominion, so four good films out of six is pretty good. I'd rather the original version of The Exorcist be remastered, but what are you gonna do. For that price, it evens out. :)

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator
I have been thinking about picking this up, and I probably will pounce when I get paid.

But as to the quality of the films....

I think that I actually liked "Exorcist: The Beginning"; I mean it has its share of flaws but overall it works great. People just tend to forget that the studio forced this one with a shrunken budget.

Well, that is what I like to believe.

-Eric, still trying to remove horrible looking CGI hyena pouncing image from head.

-Eric2, sorry for reminding others (and myself) of said image.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
No, Exorcist II is mono.

I just watched the film yesterday. The picture and sound were pretty good for a film that's 30 years old. But I forgot just how bad this film really is. Probably one of the worst I've ever seen and that's really saying something. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks