What's new

The Exorcist on Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

I want the original, unaltered film with the original WB logo and no CGI morphing anywhere. They show this version on tv (albeit edited) even today.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Gordon McMurphy

"The Version You Don't Want" to See is comical. The spiderwalk scene is a lead balloon within the context of the film and what makes it worse is that Friedkin added CGI blood spewing from Regan's mouth when he put that clunker back in. The faux-subliminal images are inept and cheezy like something out of a straight-to-video horror film from 1996.
The problem with that scene is that it probably never would've worked. They show some stuff of it in the documentary and the stuntperson on wires was just unconvincing. Plus, Reagan chasing her mother with a snake like tongue sticking out? But speeding up the whole thing, the added blood and the sudden fade away is also very distracting. So, it's basically a bad scene and shouldn't be in any version of the movie.

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
according to rumors its coming late this year or early 2010 but as "the version you never seen edition" not the original cut :(

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
According to Blu-ray.com, we'll be getting BOTH cuts late 2010, "in time for Halloween."
Plus restoration overseen by Friedkin AND Owen Roizman:

"The transfers were completed in July, under the supervision of Friedkin and director of photography Owen Roizman, who had had opposing views early this year over Friedkin's new color-timing of 'The French Connection' for its Blu-ray release."

Good news - for this, I can wait...

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm sorry, but why the hell does it have to be tied to Halloween? If the transfers are done, put it out. Why wait an additonal year?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I think what we will find out as the year progresses is that the film companies are trying to push off any DVD releases that they can until third and fourth quarter on 2010. Paramount has pushed the release of their new film SHELTER ISLAND from October 2009 to February 2010 and the reason given was the economic conditions such as the present low DVD sales and they do not see any pickup until the summer of 2010 (They did give three other reasons). Evidently, Warners has decided to sit on the Blu-ray Exorcist until the economics are better.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by ahollis

I think what we will find out as the year progresses is that the film companies are trying to push off any DVD releases that they can until third and fourth quarter on 2010. Paramount has pushed the release of their new film SHELTER ISLAND from October 2009 to February 2010 and the reason given was the economic conditions such as the present low DVD sales and they do not see any pickup until the summer of 2010 (They did give three other reasons). Evidently, Warners has decided to sit on the Blu-ray Exorcist until the economics are better.
Shutter Island ;)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind waiting a year to get both cuts. Excluding the Original version would've been a no sale to me.

Now if only Warner would do the same and delay LOTR to include both versions, all would be right in the world.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by JohnMor /forum/thread/270868/the-exorcist-on-blu-ray/60#post_3599026
It's almost as if they expect to garner additional sales by capitalizing on a similarly-themed holiday around the time of the disc's release!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yeah, I get that, but most people who want this classic are going to buy it no matter what time of year it comes out. Those who would only buy it because it's near Halloween would still buy it at Halloween time, even if it came out six months before or longer. It's hardly a "passing" horror movie that needs a holiday tie-in to sell.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
All that really matters to me is that we'll be able to have the ORIGINAL CUT. However, if both are indeed ready, it does seem like a long wait until October 2010!

Oh well. I just watched it recently, so I guess I can hold out another year or more.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by JohnMor

Yeah, I get that, but most people who want this classic are going to buy it no matter what time of year it comes out. Those who would only buy it because it's near Halloween would still buy it at Halloween time, even if it came out six months before or longer. It's hardly a "passing" horror movie that needs a holiday tie-in to sell.
Apparently older movies on Blu aren't doing that great. So even titles like The Exorcist could use all the help it can get.
I'm just glad the original cut will be included, I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
And is there any chance every extra from the previous versions are included, even the 'Fear of God' documentary?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JohnMor

But the cost of marketing the disc would be doubled, since you'd have a marketing campaign when the disc came out, and another one at Halloween.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks