What's new

The Exorcist III (1 Viewer)

Brad E

Second Unit
Just finished watching this for the first time in over 10 years. Didn't remember a thing about it.
Actually I just finished watching all 3 Exorcist movies. I was very surprised, in that I found the third movie to be by far the best. It is scarier than the first even though it relies more on the 'boo' factor to achieve it.

Obviously I have been desensitized, because the first movie just didn't have the effect that it had on me when I first watched it about 15 years ago. I remember being thoroughly creeped out. Still a great movie though.

The good thing about the Heretic is that it could be 'forgotten' because it has no impact on the other two movies. I wouldn't rate it as a horrible movie, but the mind meld thing nearly ruined the whole movie for me. What the hell happened here?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
RE: part 2, I believe the studio forced the director to make a film he didn't want to. Apparently the director was going for one thing while the studio was going for something else.

As for part 3, I agree it's the best film in the series. The first movie is VERY VERY good but to me, it's simply a "shock" film that isn't shocking anymore. What we're seeing was fresh and shocking when released but today many people laugh at it. However, there are those who are still terrified by it. I watched the original part 1 in a theater back in '97 and half the crowd would leave whenever something "scary" started to happen. They'd wait outside the doors and then come back in when the scary bit was over. However, the half that stayed in the theater were mostly laughing.

I wasn't laughing at it but I don't think it's scary. That one jump scene in part 3 is among the best of any film. Gets me each time even when I know it's coming. :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
THE EXORCIST doesn't scare me, BUT it does leave me feeling uneasy. I have researched a ton of supernatural stuff over the years for my various writings and Blatty obviously did his homework. EXORCIST III is a very well done movie (with bits of dialog from the original novel THE EXORCIST that didn't make it into the original movie) and I'm glad that it's finally getting recognition, as I thought it was good when I saw it in the theater during it's initial release. It's sad that people laugh during THE EXORCIST, because although the FX may look dated, it also is a reflection of how we have become as a society. And this is another reason I stay safely within my home theater, to avoid the type who find something like THE EXORCIST funny ...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I don't think the FX has anything to do with it considering they still hold up very well.

Fuck me Jesus!
might have been a good shock value back in the day but today people laugh at that line.

Fans should certainly seek out the 1922 film HAXAN, which had an influence on E1.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, I thought the head spinning model looked phony, even back in '73 when I first saw The Exorcist, and I was only 12 then! On a side note, I'm glad I kept both versions of the DVD, because I really can't stand the newer ending; to me, the shot of Father Dyer turning away from the steps and then going straight into the credits, with that strong music, ended it perfectly.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I think the original film is fantastic -- not as a horror film, but as a movie. Terrific screenplay, wonderful dialogue, memorable characters, exceptional acting, great editing and truly great sound engineering.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
THE EXORCIST is a great film, and it still holds up every time I see it, which is many times now. Just brilliantly directed by William Friedkin, with lots of tension and edge of your seat entertainment. Michael, the line you quoted is actually Let Jesus F**K You!
and I think it's still effective coming from a poor innocent child with no knowledge or control over what's happening to her.

I love EXORCIST III, too. A very good film and the second best.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
No matter the exact quote, I think that's a key scene that people are laughing at. I'm not sure what else people would fine funny with the effects are anything else. The head spinning never worked for me but it's still a very good effect IMO.

The director and I found a third person!!!! :D

If I was judging this as a "horror" film then I'd probably be a little harder on it. The greatness I find in the film are its characters and especially the story of the mother dealing with a sick child. Friedkin, Donner and Polanski drew some heat by saying THE EXORCIST, THE OMEN and ROSEMARY'S BABY aren't horror films but I agree in all three cases, although THE OMEN is a lot closer to horror. I see the other two as dramas with horror elements but both deal with religious things so should religion automatically mean "horror"?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Are we talking about the scene with the crucifix (as I was assuming you meant)? If so, I'm afraid the humor escapes me. Of course, anyone may find funny whatever they like. But to me, I just don't understand how the concept of an innocent and virginal little girl, forced to do and say unspeakable things she never knew existed at her age, by some supernatural demon, even bloodying herself in the process in front of her horrified mother, is at all comedic.

And yep, it's a horror film, even if Friedkin doesn't think he made one. ;)

Brad E

Second Unit

I agree Michael. Position of the camera and lack of cuts are key to this scene. Brilliant directing.
The entrance to my theater room is behind me. Had to take a few glances back just to make sure all was clear.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I love the origianl film but havent seen Pt3 iun years. I dont even remember it at all. I wont even touch the 2nd film. Ive heard it was one of the worst films ever made and the trailer makes it look so.

How is "The Beginning?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I really don't think part 2 is all THAT bad. THE SWARM, made around the same time, is what really killed Warner back then. There are some interesting ideas but there was way too much tampering by the studio. If you're a fan of the series then you should at least see it once. There's a small cult following coming strong on the film but why is beyond me. I'd give it :star:1/2 but it's certainly far from the worst.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I said it before and I'll say it again: "The good locust?" There are very small nuggets to mine in that deep hole of a movie, but Richard Burton was just riding on fumes it appears.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I still think EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC is an abysmal film on every level - acting, story, direction, you name it. The worst sequel to a great film ever made. I give it a sincere BOMB rating, of four. However it HAS to be seen once to be believed. They actually thought they could get away with this!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
For those of us who read the books, "Exorcist III" IS the sequal to "The Exorcist" since it is based on Blatty's book "Legion" which was written as the original sequal. I agree that it is a great film and every bit as good as the first film. As for "The Heretic" I have never been able to sit through a second viewing and only sat through the theatrical presentation because as a rule, I NEVER walk out on a movie. I felt really sorry for Richard Burton after that abomination of a film. Incidently, I picked up the "Exorcist III" DVD in the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin and have really enjoyed the purchase.

In truth, while "The Beginning" had its moments, I rate it only slightly above "The Heretic." I actually thought it was going to be really good. I left the theater rather ambivalent about the whole thing. I would give it 2 stars out of 5.

Will K

Screenwriter
I've always thought Exorcist III was terrific. I love Blatty's dialogue and I think the movie is great at slowly creeping under your skin and effectively instilling a sense of dread. Brad Dourif gives one of the all-time great psycho performaces(seated and shackled the entire time, no less) and I really don't think he's gotten his due for it. It's too bad most of the major cast are now deceased, show they ever get around to doing a SE.

As for the original Exorcist, I love it more now for its craft than as a horror film. The performances by the entire cast are truly something to be savored. It's one of the few films I've ever seen where I forget I'm watching actors. To me, movies just don't get much more perfect(the revised version nothwithstanding).

As for Exorcist II, well...I have to agree that it must be seen to be believed. It's just nucking futs. You can only hear Richard Burton utter "Pazuzu" so many times and not chuckle.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Don't you guys think E2 at least delivers on the laugh factor? True, it's BAD but it's at least bad enough to where you can laugh at it.

EXORCIST ripoffs were actually a lot worse than E2. The Italian flick BEYOND THE DOOR is pretty bad as is THE HOUSE OF EXORCISM, which is a re-edited version of Mario Bava's LISA AND THE DEVIL. Then there's ABBY, which is pretty darn funny as well.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
It would be absolutely worth the laughs, especially when Richard Burton is wandering around the "African" village muttering "Koo koo moo" to everyone, if it also wasn't so sad at the same time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks