What's new

The Exorcist 25th Anniversary out of print? (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Exorcist II The Heretic last night. God, what a train wreck of a movie. Inane script, incoherent continuity and a double for Blair that looks precious little like her, with Burton wildly overacting, topped off with a ridiculous tap dancing sequence. I was prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt, but was unprepared for just how awful it is. I'm certainly glad Warner released it though, to see for myself. A very nice transfer, btw, so at least it's good to look at while being hard to watch. A notorious stinker that fully deserves its reputation. Boorman does manage to produce a couple moments of unease, but it's nothing like the original. Perhaps if he had a script that wasn't utterly goofy from word one he might have had a chance.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Just watched Exorcist II The Heretic last night. God, what a train wreck of a movie.
I must say, the utterly strange trailer for this film that's included with the supplements on the 25th Anniversary DVD of The Exorcist is more disturbing than anything in either film.

Oh, and I'd agree with those who prefer the original cut to "the Blatty cut." The Version Blatty Wanted to See (like Apocalypse Now Redux) is a textbook example of more turning out to be less. Not a ruined film, but somewhat adulterated.

--Jefferson Morris

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
We all fight to get the original theatrical version of a movie. But when it comes to Lord of the Rings, everyone wants the Extended Version.

Sorry to be off topic. Btw, i have heard the VYNS will also be OOP.

nousername

Supporting Actor
We all fight to get the original theatrical version of a movie. But when it comes to Lord of the Rings, everyone wants the Extended Version.
Not me!
Actually, I don't want any version of Lord of the Rings, but that's a whole other story...:)

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I'll never forget seeing it on opening weekend in 1977, with the whole audience roaring with laughter. There was an article in Variety that week about how John Boorman was recutting the film due to audience "laffs" (as they put it). I'm glad the DVD version is back to its full length, in all its hilarious glory.

--Bill

BarryS

Second Unit
Warner should keep both the 25th Anniversary DVD and the Version You've Never Seen in print so we can choose. It's not right to force the viewer to watch the new version. The older one has a better DVD too with a great Friedkin commentary and the excellent Fear of God documentary. Plus, it has the same extra scenes as outtakes. I prefer the original 1973 version and I picked up the 25th Anniversary DVD last year as I feared its discontinuation. I'm very glad I did.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks to this thread, I ordered the 25th Anniversary Edition. A few online places still have it in stock. I got it from Deep Discount DVD. Can anyone confirm that TVYNS is actually going OOP? I don't know the original enough to know if the added dialog scene with the doctor makes much of an improvement. I agree that the CGI demons seemed just gimmicky. The only exception for me was the scene when we are looking at the mother through the bedroom door on the right side of the screen and see the demon in the darkness on the left. The spider walk is just awful. It disrupts and diminishes the entire film.

Allen Mack, that is a funny sig!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I see both versions at Best Buy all the time. They just got more stock of the 25th Anniversary version.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
After the 25th anniversary was over, the special edition was renamed to simply "special edition" with all the same features.
Robert & Anthony: I thought ALL copies of this item had a gold "Special Edition" banner across the top, with the WB logo in the center of it, and it says in small gold lettering at the bottom "25th Anniversary". That's how mine is...it was the first DVD I ever bought. Looking through Warner's press materials, that's how they show it, too...right now, this very second! Anthony, I wonder if it could be a Canadian version of the box or something. But perhaps they just never updated their materials with the new box design. :shrug:
There IS a version of the 25th Ann. Edition in print, though. In the Creative Design Art "Collector's Edition" box, with the CD, Lobby Cards, Book, Senitype, etc.
And, looking through Warner's materials, I see nothing about TVYNS being taken out of print THIS month (August). Next month and beyond are fair game, though. :)
Let's see, there's:
The Exorcist (movie-only edition; OOP)
The Exorcist - 25th Anniversary Special Edition (OOP)
The Exorcist - Limited Edition Collector's Set (in print)
The Exorcist - The Version You've Never Seen (in print, at least through Aug. 31st!)
Exorcist II: The Heretic
The Exorcist III: Legion

Michael*K

Screenwriter
The "25th Anniversary Edition" is a far better choice than the nonsensical "Version You've Never Seen."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought ALL copies of this item had a gold "Special Edition" banner across the top, with the WB logo in the center of it, and it says in small gold lettering at the bottom "25th Anniversary".
Nope. My copy, and those currently in the local Best Buy, only have the "25th Anniversary" text across the bottom, but no WB/SE banner at the top.

I guess the next question would be, is there any difference between the 25th SE and the 25th without the SE banner? I'm guessing no.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
To clarify somewhat my earlier post.. let me advise that the version I saw said nothing whatsoever about it being a "25th Anniversary Edition", it was simply labeled "Special Edition". I will therefore not refer to it as "the 25th anniversary" edition, even though it contained the same special features. Therefore, it is fine by me if Warners decides to stop producing the 25th anniversary edition, as long as they dont stop production on the "Specical Edition" version. I am of the opinion that any OOP announcements refer specifically to the 25th anniversary edition, and not to the Special Edition. Confusing enough?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well, this forum has led me to rewatch both the original, "The Fear of God", and the VYNS. I have to say, as a huge fan of the book, I really prefer the VYNS. After watching "The Fear of God" again, I do, however, prefer the spider-walk scene shown in the documentary as opposed to the one they showed in the movie. The blood out of the mouth was just too corny. Although, every other added scene added to the movie, IMO.

While I never viewed the original as such a "downer" (as Blatty referred to it), the VYNS gave a pleasant feeling that somehow the memory
of Father Karras and his relationship, however brief, with Det. Kindermann will live on. As well as when Chris gives Father Dyer the medallion and he tells her to keep it as opposed to his keeping it.

The greatest addition was certainly the dialogue during the exorcism break between the two priests. You know, the whole part about considering the fact that we are "animal and ugly" and to consider the possibly that God does not love us. GREAT STUFF.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just to add to this thread i just found a copy at FYE that has "25th anniversary" on the bottom and no gold bar at the top period.
but it does have the doc,and Audio Commentary by William Friedkin and William Peter Blatty,and Special Intro by William Friedkin. so i think there was 2 versions of 25th, 1 origional release and now 1 VYNSB.

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
I have the version with no gold banner, and it does contain all the excellent special features. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks