The Exorcist 25th Anniversary out of print?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Romero, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Is the 25th Anniversary edition of Exorcist out of print? Also, which version is best? 25th or The Version You've Never Seen? I did a search and couldn't come up with answers.

2. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

3. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

4. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

5. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

If you love the 1973 film titled The Exorcist, as I do, then the 25th Anniversary edition is excellent. The mutilated piece of work released recently under a similar title is something else again, and I prefer to pretend it never happened.
    Yes, a strong reaction perhaps, but it's just MHO [​IMG]

6. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree with Steven. Be sure to track down the original version.

7. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Was the subtle morph effect that was changed for the 25th Anniversary edition live up to its name or is it drastically different from the original version??? I only have the 25th anniversary edition to look at.

8. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

If you own the 25th Anniveresary edition then you can see the difference for yourself. The new morph is in the film, and the original jump-cut is in the BBC documetary on the flipside of the disc.

-Lyle J.P.

9. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Well I guess I've got a collectable OOP DVD for keepsake.
    Have never doubt Warner Bros' keen insight in producing
    such good collectibles DVDs[​IMG]

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Or you could get the original release, which doesn't have the morph, or any extras. It also sports an excellent 5.1 mix, but unfortunately only on the P&S side. So what you really need are 2 copies of the original release, playing the widescreen side through your TV and the P&S side through your receiver for the sound. Just be careful in synching them up. [​IMG]

11. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

I can never resist a good Exorcist thread ....
    I've been a huge fan of the Exorcist since day 1. My first viewing was at age 14 and I laid awake in bed, terrified for at least the next 3 nights.
    I'm not a zealot for either version, but I do have a few comments, IMHO, of course. There have actually been 3 DVD releases:
    The Exorcist, (original DVD release)
    as noted above, this was movie only with both P&S & OAR (1.85:1). Strangely enough, the P&S side got a fairly good enhanced DD5.1 soundtrack, while the OAR side had the old (weaker) mix.
    The Exorcist, 25th Anniversary Ed.
    any true collector always want the original theatrical version.
    the commentaries and extras can't be beat
    the BBC Special is one of the best ever for Exorcist trivia, production notes, etc. It also shows a clip of the infamous spidewalk scene, but not the final one from TVYNS.
    ON the downside ... IIRC, the audio was rather poor on the OAR version, sounding more like a DD2.0, with few surround effects and not much LFE. Most fans were hugely disappointed to find out that the 25th Anniv ed. did NOT use the new DD5.1 mix that was created for the theatrical re-release.
    The Exorcist, The Version You've Never Seen
    Finally, we get the newest DD5.1 sound mix everyone always wanted on DVD --- tremendous improvement!
    The CGI-modified spider walk scene truly gve me chills and added to the tension. However some people may argue that it was not in the original theatrical version for good reason and detracts a bit from suspension of disbelief.
    The most signif change was an added sequence (approx 10 min.) in the office of the psychiatrist, providing more back story re Regan's early treatments and diagnosis. it's essentially all dialog, but I thought it improved the narrative.
    There is also a brief added sequence with Father Merrin during the final exorcism scene ... he explains more about the devils motives ... this is the scene that Blatty fought for 25 years with Friedkin to have restored (it was in the 1973 test audience cut).
    The occasional CGI demon flashes were inconsequential (& a little silly)
    ... of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    FYI - you can apparently still order the 25th Anniv Ed here from DVD Empire.
    Also ... it would seem TVYNS is going on sale next week at BestBuy for something like $13.
    You can guess my conclusion ... you've gotta have both.

12. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    While contemplating the sale of my 25th Anniversary Edition about 3mths ago, (I had to guys, times are hard) I wanted to make sure I would be able to purchase the title again (i.e. not out of print) so I compared the versions available. I saw the "Version you never saw" version, the 25th anniversary edition with the banner, and to my surprise, a version simply labeled "Special Edition". There was no 25th anniversary banner, however, I made sure to verify that it contained all the SE content on the 25th version, which it did. Has no one seen this version? This may have been substituted for the discontinued 25th anniversary version....

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I actually prefer the new cut of the film, mainly because of the improved sound mix. I do think the added scenes add a few good scares to the film, but the original version is still awsome. To each his own, I guess. I own both versions, and most of my friends who are fans of the film do as well. I think I saw a few of these down at my local retailers, I might have to go pick a few up. If anybody is interested in purchasng one, let me know, and I'll get extras.

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Does the Version You've Never Seen have a better video transfer?

15. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

That's it, next time I see The Exorcist at Best Buy, I'm buying it.

16. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

After the 25th anniversary was over, the special edition was renamed to simply "special edition" with all the same features.

17. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    "Does the Version You've Never Seen have a better video transfer? "

I think it is improved.

18. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Count me in as a strong proponent of having the original thaetrical cut of any movie. Adding stuff later is like revising history. If a director insists on having his/her modified version available, the original theatrical cut should always also be available. Thus, I hope the original version of The Exorcist always remains available...

My motto is "Greedo Never Shot First!"

19. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
  20. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The things that absolutely ruin the new cut of the film for me are the cheesy cgi demon shots and the ending. The VYNS ending is superfluous and downright badly written. The ending on the original is soooooo much better. I also love the documentary and wish it had been included on the new disc if the old was going out of print. Now I have to hunt one down. [​IMG]