What's new

The Excorcism of Emily Rose (1 Viewer)

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I'm kind of a sucker for good horror films (emphasis on good), so its probably no surprise that i'm totally excited about this new movie, the exorcism of emily rose. looks really, really creepy.

the trailer came out today. has anyone else seen it?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I watched it yesterday and it raised my expectation level up a notch or two. Very cool trailer.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Thanks for posting the link to the trailer. This looks more than a little creepy...to say the least.

I hear that its totally based off of a true story.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Did I miss something? Where was the link to the trailer at the official site? I did like the design of that site, with the press clippings and all.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It is actually on the front page. Don't enter the site, and the trailer will play.

Jason

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
It happened in the mid-1960s or 70s in Germany. Emily Rose's real name was Anneliese Michel (which was the original title of the movie as well).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't agree Todd,
this looks to be more of a trial movie with the details of the case slowly revealed as the trial moves forward....at least that is what it looks like it will be to me.

BTW, HERE IS THE OPENING PAGE containing the trailer.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I'm glad we got all this trailer bs sorted out.

Latino Review posted a set visit today. sorta longish, but a decent read nonetheless:

Latino Review's Set Visit

Seems like half the movie's going to be the trail and the other half about the exorcism. I'm definately looking forward to this.

I'd be interested to hear more about Anneliese Michel
::goes immediately to google her::

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Knowing nothing more about this than my general experience with human foolishness and superstition, I read the whole "based on a true story" stuff with more than a little aversion. I suspect if this story is true (as opposed to a sly "Blair Witch" marketing campaign), then the reality is an unfortunate family, likely of the highly religious/superstitious sort, who commit an act of negligent, church-assisted homicide against their daughter. I suspect the Hollywood version will be inordinately credulous on the matter, assuming as they reflexively do the stupidity of their audience.

You know, doc, I think I got demons. :rolleyes

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm hoping all of the "demons" you see in the trailer are going to be portrayed in the film from her perspective to leave the film with an open meaning, make up your own mind sort of thing such as with Agnes of God.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Rich's opinion on such matters is similar to most. The truth is, that "dissociated states of consciousness" is just a way of labeling a condition in terms we can feel comfortaable with.

People do not like to feel they do not have control of a situation or have an explanation for mysterious events.

If it makes people feel better, or allows them to get a grip on the world, then they will do their best to add a human, secular explanation for it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There's certainly that aspect, Henry, but I want to be clear that when I spoke of my "aversion" it certainly had nothing to do with the victims in all this. I was thinking of the filmmakers. And I should probably repeat that I don't know anymore about this film or its creators' intent in making it than what I've read in this thread.

But it seems that if this is a "true story" (that is, not just a "blair witch" type marketing campaign), then somewhere there's a young girl's corpse in the ground and a grieving family. This family is either suffering under an avalanche of the deepest sort of regret and pain, or are perhaps remain sadly deluded. Either way, this is a grotesque and horrible event. Perhaps the gravity of such a crime is enough to to inure a sense of responsibility to the deceased in the filmmakers, and their motives are in fact pure and righteous and hopeful that what they create will shed light and bring understanding.

But I suspect this is more of a situation where the filmmakers either exploit the basest fears and superstitions of their audience, or remain amorally agnostic on the matter, and either way they're doing nothing more than exploiting what I presume to be a real tragedy for nothing more than thrills and chills.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
If it makes people feel better, or allows them to get a grip on the world, then they will do their best to add a human, secular explanation for it.

I think it's a primal thing when one judges a shooting star as the sky falling or say a woman with mental problems is posessed by demons. It's not a way of myself hoping there aren't demons it's because that woman has mental problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks