What's new

The Evil Dead (1981) in theatres? (1 Viewer)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Has anybody heard about "The Evil Dead" being released in theatres soon? IMDB has it listed with all the new movies that are scheduled for theatrical release soon under its "coming soon" section.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
They're probably referring to the remake. I see that the link directs you to the page for the 1981 original but I think it's probably a mistake. I'd be all for a theatrical re-release of the original "Evil Dead", though. I was born on October 15, 1981, the very day that the film premiered as "Book of the Dead" at the Redford Theater in Detroit. It's pretty cool to know that one of your favorite films was unleashed upon the world the very same day you were, and the fact that the film and I are nearing 24 years makes me think of how cool it would be to see the film on the big screen for a change. Anyways, the best Evil Dead-related site on the web is deadites.net and they have nothing about a theatrical re-release.

EDIT: someone on the film's IMDB board pointed out that the film is showing on July 29 at the Chicago Flashback Weekend Horror Convention. This is undoubtedly what the "coming soon" mention is all about.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

The Evil Dead was released on January 1, 1983.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

imdb.com lists October 15, 1981 as the film's premiere. You can see that for yourself here.

There is no mention of any significant aspect of the film's release being January 1, 1983. In any case, January 1, 1983 was a Saturday. It's one thing to hold a "sneak preview" or "premiere" of a film on a Thursday (which October 15, 1981 was) but there's no way the film was actually released on a Saturday. The film's distribution pattern was erratic at best. Given the various aspects of the film's release, it is likely that somewhere along the line somebody could only pinpoint the film's release down to 1983 and they simply used January 1 (which would obviously be selected because it's the first day of the year) as an abitrary number. The simple fact of the matter is this: the first time "The Evil Dead" was shown to an audience was on October 15, 1981.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
as an additional release date, presumably the first general release of the film in the USA.

Anyway, Evil Dead is one of the best horror films ever made and was probably the last film I saw in a theater that truly scared the shit out of me!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Original Evil Dead to return to theaters in October as a Fathom event to celebrate its 40th Anniversary (or 42nd, per Bruce Campbell).

Link here with info and an interview with Bruce Campbell that also touches on the upcoming new film, Evil Dead Rise, and his possible appearance in Doctor Strange 2, directed by Sam Raimi.

https://ew.com/movies/bruce-campbell-evil-dead-doctor-strange/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks