What's new

The Eternal Misunderstanding Between the Genders (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Is it a good time to tell you guys to enter "ladder theory" into Google?

Yeah, I thought not. Maybe later.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

I looked at it. Read it. Laughed quite a bit.

I think the core of it - that men have one ladder, and women have two - is absolutely correct. I don't agree with his pie charts in regards to motivations - at least I don't agree with how he says "all" women are like that and "all" men are, in regards to motivation.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I think most guys understand perfectly that there are several valid forms of communication. The mind games begin when the forms of communication are not in agreement. I'm not saying that this is what's happening in the case presented in the original post, just that it's a possibility. We can't say what her eyes are telling him when they look at each other, or if she ever makes any physical contact with him, and what he may or may not read into any of that stuff. If all of her forms of communication are saying the same thing to him, then he's just an idiot. But if he's somehow receiving mixed signals from her, I feel sorry for him.

The "friends" issue is one of the hardest for men to internally resolve, since we've all known women who keep male "friends" around for what they can do for her (plumbing, engine work, HT setup), women who actually create strong and meaningful platonic relationships with men, and even those who frequently f*** their "friends". With such of a variety of definitions of "friendship" for us to see in the society, it's no wonder the term has become quite ambiguous and therefore confusing to many people.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

That's exactly how I feel, too. I like the term "outlaw biker" for the bad-buy types.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Some men seem to resent seeing women gravitate toward the so-called "bad boys" instead of "nice guys". At the same time, they seem to think it stems out of some sense of insecurity or low self-esteem. If that's the case, aren't you glad it's the "bad boys" who have to put up with these "troubled" women?

I personally have had my share of "bad boys". I just can't respect men who are "doormats" and overly solicitous. Many women LOVE it, but I feel smothered. I probably equate emotional havoc with intensity of feeling. Anyone can love a "prince" -- it takes real love to uncover and cherish the good in a "bb".

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

Interesting. I haven't met any women who actually want a doormat - except to wipe their shoes on!

I have seen guys that act chivralous to their mates, but in reality they are subtlely controlling (not in a negative way) - "Hey honey, let's go to that 5 star restaurant right now!" or something similarly "spontaneous" and romantic. These guys are not doormats. A doormat would ask the woman what to do, and then does what she says without question - always deferring to her and not taking the lead. "Is there anything I can do for you now?" - "I will always be here for you, no matter what." Where's the spontanaeity in that? Even a dog will do something surprising once in a while - like chew on your shoes or poop in them or pee all over your rug.

Hmmm...uncovering and cherishing the good in a "bb" - reminds me of guys that cling onto those perpetually angst-ridden "I am SO depressed" women. Who go off and latch onto the next "bb" they see. Ouch, how embarassing to watch those people - I have to bite my tongue when I hear these angsty people talk. :)

Note: Interchange guy with girl or girl with guy above - it's not limited to just one sex or the other!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks