What's new

The Eternal Buffytastic™ Thread Part IV (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So... Apparently, a Dark Horse book coming out in October, sort of an anthology of their pretty-well-received horror line, will contain a preview of a new series called "Tales Of The Vampire", set in the Buffy/Angel universe and allegedly written by people including Joss Whedon (though Brent Matthews writes the preview). Also, that big Fray collection comes out then (in both hardcover and softcover), presuming issue #8 really comes out next month.

Aside from that, not much happening.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Glad to hear that "Fray" is coming out as a collected one volume set. I've gotten all the issues so far, but my comic shop closed recently, so I thought that I'd be SOL for ish 8. Now, I can just wait for the softcover. :)
Rafael

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
How can this be a Buffytastic thread without the blessing of the high priest Jeff?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I just finished Season 2 of Buffy (borrowed from a co-worker) and am very much enjoying the series so far. I like how major characters get killed off (sometimes twice -- figuratively speaking). The mix of tragic irony and humor is very well done, and reminds me of the Baldur's Gate computer RPG game, with the subplots mixed with the main storyline (whatever that may be...hard to tell with buffy!).

When does the mayor make his bid for taking over the world? Season 4?

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
ANybody know if FX will be showing Season 7 when it runs through all the episodes again? I'm caught up all the way through S 6 finally. I thought they would go on to S 7 but then they just started with S 1 again. I'm dying not being able to see S 7. As for Season 6 it was pretty crazy but I liked it. Dawn really did get on my nerves. Whine Whine Whine. It got really annoying.

I really need to get back into my Season 3 set. I was watching it, then summer school got in the way. Bah

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Dawn kept getting abandoned by parent after parent. By season 6, she'd more or less lost three and Buffy wouldn't pay attention to her, either. So her whininess was understandable.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Buffy gets one Emmy nomination for Outstanding Special Visual Effects for Chosen. Firefly got nominated for Serenity in the same category.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They probably can't show Season 7 till September, that's typically the start time for a new season of syndication.

Once again Team Whedon is denied on any and all acting/story related Emmys. 7 Consecutive years of getting dissed!

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Once again Team Whedon is denied on any and all acting/story related Emmys. 7 Consecutive years of getting dissed!
Technically it's not 7 straight years of getting shut out. Joss did get a writing nod for "Hush". Which is ironic when you consider the subject matter of that episode.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I, for one, would not have been happy if the show was nominated for writing or series this year (yeah, right). The writers have already done enough to convince themselves that they were still making a show that didn't consistently suck outright, and they don't need any more encouragement.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
No cinematography nomination for Angel? That strikes me as weird. Also, Alias got lots of nominations, so it's not like they're just shutting out action shows.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
...And onto more pressing concerns. ;)
I've so far watched the first four seasons on DVD, along with the first season of Angel, and noticed something about Willow's footwear.
All of the other female regulars in the cast frequently wear sandals... Buffy, Cordelia, Anya. But we never see Willow wearing sandals of any kind, even after she becomes a hippie chick in the fourth season.
In fact, I've noticed that she sleeps in socks and we never really see her feet at all. Leads to me to wonder if Aly has ugly feet (though I can't imagine that, as everything about Aly is just as cute as can be), or if it's just a stylistic choice to make her appear guarded and defensive. But by the fourth season, Will was really out of her shell, as it were.
At risk of anyone thinking I'm weird, I only started noticing footwear choices after seeing a publicity shot of Sarah in some kind of high-heeled sandals holding a stake and wondered how it was possible for Buffy -- superhero or not -- to fight vampires in those shoes.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I saw the Emmy noms. Eh. How predictable.

After having finally watched Buffy Seasons Two and Three (on DVD), I find it unthinkable that those two seasons were overlooked by the Emmys. I think it's probably one of the best television series ever made, and I do not exaggerate. There's such a strong humanity to all of it, and such a strong emotional undercurrent, that I've never seen anything like it before.

I mean NYPD Blue and ER may be good, but at the end of the day they're just shows about cops and doctors. Been there, done that. But this series about a girl named Buffy who kills vampires has no right to be as good as it is. But it is anyway.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Stuff from Whedon's Comic Convention panel:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=2573
Apparently, both a second "Fray" series along with a "Faith" comic series are planned. No word on who's doing the art, since Karl Moline is a CrossGen employee (or even whether Whedon is writing either). I'll be waiting for the collection on both, since the "Fray" situation got ridiculous. Not quite "Ministry Of Space" ridiculous, but geeeeez...
I like "Tales Of The Vampires" being sort of a companion to "Tales Of The Slayers", especially since it could be the last collaboration of the Buffy writers, since everyone is moving on to new things.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I mean NYPD Blue and ER may be good, but at the end of the day they're just shows about cops and doctors. Been there, done that.
Well, the awards aren't for the most original idea; it's about execution. Sure, they're tried-and-true ideas, but in terms of delivering quality television last year, Buffy had nothing on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, for example.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I was at San Diego this weekend, and though I missed most of Joss' panel, I did make it to his signing:
http://www.minerwerks.com/cc-joss.jpg
And there was a surprise appearance by one of my Buffy favorites:
http://www.minerwerks.com/cc-amber.jpg
Eliza Dushku previewed her Fox show TRU CALLING (sorry, it sucked) and agreed to an autograph signing, but I really didn't want to stand in that line.
Marti Noxon also made a brief appearance to introduce a preview of the show she's exec-producing, STILL LIFE.
I didn't catch much else at the Con, unless you'd like to hear about the crew at the Movie Poop Shoot section of the View Askew booth...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks