The ERRONEOUS belief that big releases must be staggered!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Oct 22, 2001.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think the title says it all. I do not believe that major releases need to be staggered. There are a lot of DVD titles still to be released and I will admit that it can take a great deal of time to make a decent DVD but...It can't take that much time. New releases arrive pretty promptly with a monster load of extras.
    So why do the studios make us wait? Take Disney and their 1 a year platinum collection. ONE A YEAR! I'm tempted to say that again in case it didn't sink in. [​IMG] I'm inspired to ask this by the Indy thread in 'software' where someone has just pointed out that Paramount seem to feel they have enough classic titles still to come out so that Indy doesn't have priority.
    There are people out there who have averaged more than one DVD a day by their own admission and they're not that unusual.
    Yet the studios seem to persist in making us wait for releases - take Buffy. The wait between S1 and 2 was about 8 months. S2 to S3 has been closer to 5. Five months! People will buy it when they have the money. Why should those of us who want titles have to be put on hold because a new big release has to be able to top the charts.
    Does anyone else feel this way?
    I place this topic here in the hope that someone connected to the production of DVDs might give a answer backed up with some evidence.
    Cheers
    Theo
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Paramount has almost no control over when Indy comes out, that's up to Lucas and Spielburg
    Often times with new movies, the DVD is worked on as the movie is made, I think David Prior said he finished Planet of the Apes about a week after it hit theaters.
    Again, the wait on Buffy is because of syndication deals made by the television division of the studio. If Mr. Staddon had his way we'd be knee-deep in Buffytastic(TM) DVDs right now
    Jeff Kleist

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I hate what Disney does. I am looking to get The Lion King but it will arrive 2003 I think.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, I think they are all nuts!
    The only reason I could justify staggered releases would be if we all had a limited amount of money. Ok, they say, one big one a year, but that doesn't work because they know that there are other studios cranking them out as well.
    If every studio had one big release for December, and we had limited funds, then we'd choose anyway, and some would have to wait a month or two, but that still doesn't work.
    Maybe they are going the stockholder route to even out their revenues?
    Glenn

5. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Jeff, syndication does not affect Buffy in the UK. Moreover, the outrageous staggering of Buffy began with the VHS where, despite the BBC already being into S3 they still made us wait a long time between each of the two S2 sets.
    I'm waiting for Disney to release Aladdin. God knows when that might be out. I'm still interested in what evidence there might be for this sort of staggering.
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sorry, I didn't notice you were in the UK
    I think the main reason is that these sets take time to produce, and they only have so many people to work on these things. TV sets take time, and if we want them done right, it takes some extra time and care
    Jeff Kleist

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Actually, Neil, The Lion King isn't set to be released until 2004. [​IMG]