What's new

The era of TV shows on DVD is coming to an end (7 Viewers)

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee

8 episodes out of 26 is roughly one-third of the series, maybe there's hope that the others exist also. But the question is: What are the realistic chances of this series being released on DVD? The ClassicFlix studio seems to specialize in rare/obscure shows as they've released It's About Time and the 1957 Blondie sitcom.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I bought Hank. Never had heard of it till i bought it and was pleasantly surprised.
I had the same experience with HANK. Recently I've been watching the MONROES , a 1966 show I never heard of before which was released by Timeless when they were still active . I was also pleasantly surprised by this show . It's fun sometimes to take a chance on a show your not familiar with !

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I just wanted to give a big "Thank You" to all those above who have recommended the Warner Archive release of HANK. I've watched all of Disc 1 today and have enjoyed every episode. Dick Kallman is great as Hank and I love seeing some old favorites like Lloyd Corrigan and Dabbs Greer as regulars. I had no idea that Vic Mizzy provided the music score which is a plus for me as well.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I watched an entire episode of THAT’S LIFE at the Museum Of TV & Radio (now Paley Center) in Beverly Hills in the 1990’s, so at least one episode still exists. Is that enough “proof” for you?

I'm fully aware of the Paley Center holdings on the series. ABC may have the full run but there's no way of knowing and given their propensity for purging their 2-inch videotapes, I would doubt it. My guess is that Paley acquired those episodes around 1976 when they first opened and ABC may have tossed the tapes of the series some time after.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bonanza season 9 vol. one, and two released yesterday. $31.70 per volume.

When tax is figured in that is nearly $70 for the complete season.
Sorry, but that is Blu-Ray territory, not archaic DVD.
What happened to the $20 volume releases on the week of release?

Sadly at this price, for a series I care far less for than Gunsmoke I'm going to pass. And also, I think this is the last Bonanza season we see released. I can't abide that price point, and release schedule. If CBS sells 500 units per volume, they can count themselves lucky.

This is why TV on DVD is dying.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What is it about volume releases of anything priced as high as the full season's worth?!

At $20 per volume I can justify it, going high above that price point, CBS is painting themselves into a corner.
I just spent $50 for 4 burned discs from CBS (Here's Boomer) and the only reason I bought it was because it is a grail series for me. CBS is just going full Bazooka with their pricing. I honestly don't know what they are thinking. This is 2019, not 1999.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It's interesting that people seem to think that TV on DVD is all the regular 60s and 70s shows they grew up with. TV on DVD isn't coming to an end. You're reaching the limits of your frame of reference. For the past couple of years, I've been buying DVD sets of TV shows from the UK. There are tons of great series over there that never made it stateside. And for some genres, there's a lot more there than here. For instance we have Twilight Zone, Outer Limits , Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Night Gallery, but in the UK there are hundreds of TV movies and series in a wide range of similar genres... ghost stories, hardcore science fiction, horror, mysteries and suspense... Comedy and crime dramas are a particularly rich field to explore there too. People just need to get out of the box they were put in when they were growing up and open their minds to other things. "There's more to heaven and earth than is dreamed of in your philosophy."

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
It's interesting that people seem to think that TV on DVD is all the regular 60s and 70s shows they grew up with. TV on DVD isn't coming to an end. You're reaching the limits of your frame of reference. For the past couple of years, I've been buying DVD sets of TV shows from the UK. There are tons of great series over there that never made it stateside. And for some genres, there's a lot more there than here. For instance we have Twilight Zone, Outer Limits , Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Night Gallery, but in the UK there are hundreds of TV movies and series in a wide range of similar genres... ghost stories, hardcore science fiction, horror, mysteries and suspense... Comedy and crime dramas are a particularly rich field to explore there too. People just need to get out of the box they were put in when they were growing up and open their minds to other things. "There's more to heaven and earth than is dreamed of in your philosophy."
That's a good philosophy, and it's one I don't necessarily take issue with. The thing being is that we all have that one "grail" show we want to see before the industry completely falls flat. I can find enough classics on Hulu to keep me busy for a long time, and I do binge watch, but that doesn't mean I won't do handstands when CBS HE finally gets around to S9 of The Beverly Hillbillies.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
That's a good philosophy, and it's one I don't necessarily take issue with. The thing being is that we all have that one "grail" show we want to see before the industry completely falls flat. I can find enough classics on Hulu to keep me busy for a long time, and I do binge watch, but that doesn't mean I won't do handstands when CBS HE finally gets around to S9 of The Beverly Hillbillies.
Or at least season 7

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I'm fully aware of the Paley Center holdings on the series. ABC may have the full run but there's no way of knowing and given their propensity for purging their 2-inch videotapes, I would doubt it. My guess is that Paley acquired those episodes around 1976 when they first opened and ABC may have tossed the tapes of the series some time after.

You belittled a poster here by stating that a three minute clip of the series THAT’S LIFE was no proof that the series existed at all, which is true, but to me it seemed as though you went out of your way to avoid saying that there are indeed existing episodes somewhere. All in the name of humiliating the previous poster.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent, but there is a long and exhausting pattern of such negative and condescending posts from you, it’s an easy inference to make. I can’t even imagine how or why someone would enjoy cultivating such an image by persistently adhering to it, but it’s been blatantly evident from enduring your contributions here for many years that you must revel in it. Why?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
This kind of news will not do us Hanna-Barbera cartoon fans, or Bill and Joe themselves for that matter, any favors! Just think of the vast catalog yet to be out on DVD... while some of these might be available for streaming, I miss the feeling of watching all of these on my own TV set!

Ruff and Reddy
The Huckleberry Hound Show (seasons 2-4)
The Quick Draw McGraw Show
Wally Gator
Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har-Har
Touche Turtle and Dum-Dum
Magilla Gorilla (season 2, 1965)
The Fantastic Four (1967)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
Cattanooga Cats
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972)
Cyrano (special)
These are the Days
The (New) Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show
The Mumbly Cartoon Show
Davy Crockett on the Mississippi (special)
Laff-A-Lympics (the 1978 episodes)
C.B. Bears
Skatebirds
Yogi's Space Race
Jana of the Jungle
The New Fred and Barney Show
Casper and the Angels
The Thing
The New Shmoo
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (volumes 2-3)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980)
Trollkins
The Gary Coleman Show
Yogi's Treasure Hunt
Wildfire
The New Yogi Bear Show (1988)

~Ben

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
You belittled a poster here by stating that a three minute clip of the series THAT’S LIFE was no proof that the series existed at all, which is true, but to me it seemed as though you went out of your way to avoid saying that there are indeed existing episodes somewhere. All in the name of humiliating the previous poster.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent, but there is a long and exhausting pattern of such negative and condescending posts from you, it’s an easy inference to make. I can’t even imagine how or why someone would enjoy cultivating such an image by persistently adhering to it, but it’s been blatantly evident from enduring your contributions here for many years that you must revel in it. Why?

(At the risk of adding more fuel to the fire, in an offtopic tangent).

The few people I've known in person offline who behave in a similar manner face-to-face, were almost always individuals who have not met their comeuppance (yet). In particular in intellectual/academic niches where the belitted victims have no recourse or avenues to address grievances. (For example, such as tenured full professors at ivy league universities who can't be fired at all).

One famous example was J. Robert Oppenheimer who was the director of the Manhattan Project which built the first nuclear bombs. Basically Oppenheimer had an extreme reputation for intellectually destroying people by argument, where the latter in academia had no recourse at all for addressing the harsh treatment suffered.

Apparently Oppenheimer met his comeuppance when he had to deal with polticians after world war 2, where he made the mistake of thinking he could intellectually destroy congressmen with no repercussions. It turns out congressmen had a lot more power and a lot of avenues of recourse in taking down Oppenheimer. (Eventually Oppenheimer lost his security clearance during the McCarthy witch hunts).

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/help/terms
10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

If you have problems with another poster's behavior, report it to the Moderators. I've deleted several posts that directly insult another member. Continuing to do so will result in loss of posting privileges.

A good internet guideline is: Don't feed the trolls.
Don't get yourself thread-banned because you let yourself get provoked.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Just wondering , with Shout Factory finishing High Chapperal, does anyone want to venture a guess if they will release any further vintage classic shows on DVD? If so which ones look possible ?

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
How many threads predicting the "death" of TV shows being released on physical media have we seen lately? At what point does a prediction become a self-fulfilling prophesy? DVD may be standing still, but Blu-ray apparently isn't if it can support a release of the original Jetsons or even a taped show like Fraggle Rock. And if Life with Lucy can warrant a release on DVD*, virtually anything is possible**.

15 years ago, studios were throwing out shows on DVD left and right. Shows that were either ratings hits, critical darlings, or both failed on DVD while shows that were expected to crash and burn got finished. The market got crowded because the studios expected high short-term profits on everything, forcing people to prioritize which shows they wanted most. Heaven help you if your first season was your worst. But a lot of the releases put out were shoddy: edited episodes, outdated transfers. No wonder some shows didn't sell. At least for what is coming out, quality control seems better now than it is then.

What we are seeing is a stabilization of the marketplace. Stuff is still coming out but at a more reasonable rate. I still haven't bought some of the shows that I want to own because there were others I wanted more, so I bought them first. But look at it this way: they still make vinyl records even though they were basically declared dead the day CDs came out.

*Hopefully Joel Higgins will get a royalty check for co-writing the theme song while the rest of the show he's most famous for remains unreleased.
**With the possible exception of Amos 'n' Andy.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
How many threads predicting the "death" of TV shows being released on physical media have we seen lately? At what point does a prediction become a self-fulfilling prophesy?

This is what happens with information online, where anybody can post whatever they want.

Only the accounting/financial insiders in the home entertainment departments of studios (or boutique third party dvd/bluray companies) will know for sure how much of this decline is affecting their operations.

So unless somebody is a bean counter who has accurate insider information, then most of these "sky is falling" articles/posts are not much different than "op-ed" pieces and/or "letters to the editor" in newspapers of the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchellmdm8
Recent bookmarks