What's new

The era of TV shows on DVD is coming to an end (1 Viewer)

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I found it shocking that only 180 sets of Hank sold! The number probably has not risen much from that figure reported as of a few years ago. With all of the classic tv fans and numerous websites discussing it and so on, I thought that the number sold would be in the thousands and not the hundreds. I imagine not enough people know it even exists that may indeed be interested, but they must not actively pay close attention to be aware of these sorts of releases. I bought Hank! I was hoping for Room For One More to be released, as I am missing a handful of episodes, but I guess I really should give up hope at this point. A good point that others have said: Be more thankful for what we have and try not to focus as much on what want to see released. I am going to remember this more going forward.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I found it shocking that only 180 sets of Hank sold! The number probably has not risen much from that figure reported as of a few years ago. With all of the classic tv fans and numerous websites discussing it and so on, I thought that the number sold would be in the thousands and not the hundreds.

(Without getting into anything like politics).

It is easy to think this way when one is in an "echo chamber" online.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'm also thankful for the TV shows that have been released on DVD up till now, I've been able to collect many of my favorite shows, but there are still some "holy grail" releases that I'd like to have.

One of them is "That's Life", 1968-69 musical/comedy series with Robert Morse and EJ Peaker. I don't know if there might be elements issues with some of the episodes, but the bigger problem is likely being able to clear all the music because each episode has several songs performed. I'd really like to have this show released on DVD but at this time it seems unlikely.

Another one I'd like to have is "Forever Fernwood", the follow up series to Mary Hartman. As far as I know, Shout Factory could easily release this series but it seems they're disinterested to do it. Maybe they think it wouldn't sell enough units, I don't know.

This one isn't exactly a holy grail release, but I would also like to have the 3rd season of The Flying Nun released on DVD to be able to complete the series. Also the 3rd and final season of The White Shadow has yet to be released. I'd like to have that one too.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I found it shocking that only 180 sets of Hank sold! The number probably has not risen much from that figure reported as of a few years ago. With all of the classic tv fans and numerous websites discussing it and so on, I thought that the number sold would be in the thousands and not the hundreds. I imagine not enough people know it even exists that may indeed be interested, but they must not actively pay close attention to be aware of these sorts of releases. I bought Hank! I was hoping for Room For One More to be released, as I am missing a handful of episodes, but I guess I really should give up hope at this point. A good point that others have said: Be more thankful for what we have and try not to focus as much on what want to see released. I am going to remember this more going forward.
I was hoping for ROOM FOR ONE MORE too. But I guess if we haven't seen it by now we probably never will. Regarding HANK , as I mentioned in an earlier post , it really was an obscure show. I try to keep up with the releases of older shows , but I couldn't recall the show . I did buy it and enjoyed it. I just recently started watching another show from the same season (1966) called the MONROES, and I'm enjoying that one too. The MONROES got a general release on Timeless/Shout Factory . I never heard of that one either , and I'm wondering how many that sold.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have all 20 Seasons of Law&Order on DVD. On the original Season 1 set, there is an Extra with Dick Wolf where he talks about Shooting in 16 Millimeter at the beginning. Does that mean a Blu Ray Release is completely out of the question?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
16 millimeter can still look nice.

While I'm no expert, I'd bet that with good quality film stock, good cameras, and proper processing and care in the years since production, would provide for an effective resolution greater than at least 720p when transferred today.

I believe I've read around here that even 4k doesn't fully do justice to 35 mm film in optimal conditions, which reflects just how high the picture quality of film truly can be.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
16mm is usually scanned at 2K, if it's from the original negative. It's still fairly widely used in film production, with some more recent examples being:

The Hurt Locker
Mother!
Black Swan
Moonrise Kingdom
Fruitvale Station

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Contrary to popular belief, I am alive, although I don't know about the well part! As long as Jed and kin are completed, I'll be a happy camper. If we only get through S7, I won't complain. I have a smattering of unedited episodes from the last 2 seasons that would keep me satisfied.
Yeah I agree although I'm a completest and would buy all 9 seasons I would be satisfied if we at least get season 7. Season 6 is actually one of my favorite seasons. The show remained at its peak through season 7 and then went down in the final 2 seasons but still worthwhile for fans.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd never seen Hank and don't remember hearing of it before it was released on disc. I had to look it up to see why (back then I memorized the TV schedule - even for shows I didn't watch). I give you 4 words: The Wild Wild West in its premier season. Hank had the misfortune of airing opposite the last half of that hit coming on after Camp Runamuck. Both were also hurt by the last season of The Flintstones followed by another one season show, Tammy over on ABC in that time slot. It looks interesting... I should purchase a copy.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I'd never seen Hank and don't remember hearing of it before it was released on disc. I had to look it up to see why (back then I memorized the TV schedule - even for shows I didn't watch). I give you 4 words: The Wild Wild West in its premier season. Hank had the misfortune of airing opposite the last half of that hit coming on after Camp Runamuck. Both were also hurt by the last season of The Flintstones followed by another one season show, Tammy over on ABC in that time slot. It looks interesting... I should purchase a copy.
I was the same with the TV Guides and never heard of this show. I just went and read some about it. Sounds charming. Tragic what happened to the star years later. I might have to pick this up.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Try it , you might like it !

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Try it , you might like it !
I'll know soon. As luck would have it, that title's on sale for $19.35 at deepdiscount and they have an additional 10% off with purchase of 3 or more select titles (Hank is part of that sale too). So... Hank, The Cyclops (BR), and The Sea Hawk (BR) are on their way...

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

I also noticed Hank on sale at Deep Discount and ordered it...after I checked at Amazon first where they only have it from third party sellers at very high prices. I do recall watching both Camp Runamuck and Hank when very young and frankly don't recall much about either of them. We didn't have a color TV at the time and I was surprised to see that it was filmed in color. Thanks for talking about it here. I had thought of getting it awhile back, but since it was mentioned so few had been sold, now was the time to do it!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^^^

I also noticed Hank on sale at Deep Discount and ordered it...after I checked at Amazon first where they only have it from third party sellers at very high prices. I do recall watching both Camp Runamuck and Hank when very young and frankly don't recall much about either of them. We didn't have a color TV at the time and I was surprised to see that it was filmed in color. Thanks for talking about it here. I had thought of getting it awhile back, but since it was mentioned so few had been sold, now was the time to do it!
I'd initially checked Amazon and when seeing nothing but inflated MP vendor offers remembered that Amazon and Warner's are currently "at odds" with few, if any, of the Warner Archive titles being offered for sale directly (Amazon offers them only via their "CreateSpace" program and not directly from Warner's - the feud is affecting all "digital" offerings from WB). I looked at the Warner store to find it's still "in print" but at MSRP. That's when it occurred that DD might have it on sale as they have most of the WA titles marked down right now - and they did. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... my "date" with Hank is delayed. Between my ordering and the order shipping, Hank went to Backordered status. Bummer. I have a 50% fill rate with DD and that process.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
At this point, streaming is far more likely because the streamer has to pay licencing fees upfront, rather than the distributor spending money to prep a disc release and hoping at sells. At the same time, obscure, mostly forgotten titles are unlikely to arouse much interest from any streaming company.
So, still not much hope for any of the low-rated shows... therefore, going by what you say, those will likely stay in the vault for years to come - hope I am wrong!

~Ben

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
One of them is "That's Life", 1968-69 musical/comedy series with Robert Morse and EJ Peaker. I don't know if there might be elements issues with some of the episodes, but the bigger problem is likely being able to clear all the music because each episode has several songs performed. I'd really like to have this show released on DVD but at this time it seems unlikely.

The music, which was all written specifically for the show, would be the least of the issues IMO. FIrstly, its a show which never re-aired and hasn't been seen in 50 years. So, seeing how Hank sold, the sales would likely be in the same range, although DVD sold better when Hank came out a few years ago, so it probably wouldn't even reach that number. Secondly, it was a videotaped ABC show. I would highly doubt that a run of the show even exists anymore. ABC purged their 2-inch tape library several times, so I would doubt they kept all of the episodes, if any at all.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Neil,

Do you have any insight into further releases of Paradise (Guns Of Paradise). Season 1 was released via WAC almost two years ago. I’ve attempted to contact WAC on FB, but no response.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I've got pretty much everything I ever wanted, and just keep up with a few current shows. But there are few classics that I'll probably never see. One is a complete St. Elsewhere (though it has, I think, a chance). Another with a chance of finishing is Police Story. Then there are the two "slim and none -- and Slim just caught the bus" titles: Slattery's People and The Great Adventure. Their only shot is if they've been transferred to digital (not likely) and VEI is interested. (Both are CBS.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks