What's new

The era of TV shows on DVD is coming to an end (2 Viewers)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It's listed in the CBS Syndication Bible as transferred to HD. It is one season. Anything I've seen to-date transferred by CBS to HD has always been complete and in the correct aspect ratio, in this case 4x3. CBS has traditionally used the original film masters to make these transfers to HD.
Maybe they acquired it and did new transfers. Possible. Is it available anywhere?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Maybe they acquired it and did new transfers. Possible. Is it available anywhere?
Not that I know of. I assume being only one season might make it a bit less desirable to some services. I'm hoping STARZ, Paramount+, or FreeVee (rebranded from IMDB TV) will get it. FreeVee currently streams The Virginian, and Perry Mason in HD and they've streamed other one season shows before (e.g., Man with a Camera).

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Speaking of SD shows falling by the wayside in the future, I’m concerned with the TV shows from the mid-‘80s to the early ‘00s that were shot on film but edited on videotape. As anybody who has watched them on DVD or streaming, most of them look very bad and it will only get worse unless studios spend the money to “future proof” these series.

Paramount Global will eventually spring to have their remaining SD Star Trek shows, DS9 and Voyager, transferred to HD (even if physical media is no longer a consideration) because Star Trek is still a cash cow after half a century. I’m less confident about ‘80s shows like the Twilight Zone revival and ‘90s classics like My So-Called Life and Homicide: Life on the Street—will their owners spend money to rescan the original film elements? (Thankfully, no special effects to redo in HD like Trek.)

At least some vintage TV shows are still getting physical releases—Kino will have released all three seasons of Night Gallery on Blu-ray by the end of the year (or 2023) and Universal, a company that eschewed the videotape editing process, has released The Incredible Hulk and A-Team on Blu-ray and have licensed The Six Million Dollar Man to Shout! and Magnum PI to Mill Creek for Blu-ray releases.

I will continue to cherish my classic TV library and will support future disc releases, but the end of TV on disc is definitely nigh.

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
While DVD releases for shows in the US does seem to have come to a trickle [comparatively], DVD releases overseas still seem to come to fruition.

The latest example I have seen is a DVD release for Law & Order: Organized Crime (Season 1, to be fair...) on the Amazon UK site. Still no domestic release here. Probably because the series streams on Peacock, but still...

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Speaking of SD shows falling by the wayside in the future, I’m concerned with the TV shows from the mid-‘80s to the early ‘00s that were shot on film but edited on videotape. As anybody who has watched them on DVD or streaming, most of them look very bad and it will only get worse unless studios spend the money to “future proof” these series.

Paramount Global will eventually spring to have their remaining SD Star Trek shows, DS9 and Voyager, transferred to HD (even if physical media is no longer a consideration) because Star Trek is still a cash cow after half a century. I’m less confident about ‘80s shows like the Twilight Zone revival and ‘90s classics like My So-Called Life and Homicide: Life on the Street—will their owners spend money to rescan the original film elements? (Thankfully, no special effects to redo in HD like Trek.)

At least some vintage TV shows are still getting physical releases—Kino will have released all three seasons of Night Gallery on Blu-ray by the end of the year (or 2023) and Universal, a company that eschewed the videotape editing process, has released The Incredible Hulk and A-Team on Blu-ray and have licensed The Six Million Dollar Man to Shout! and Magnum PI to Mill Creek for Blu-ray releases.

I will continue to cherish my classic TV library and will support future disc releases, but the end of TV on disc is definitely nigh.

For myself, I am not so into dramatic TV from the late 80s through late 00s. In particular, production budgets were really cut to the bone in the late 80s/early 90s, and most of those shows had a cheap look even on original broadcast.

My hope is to get the following on U.S. Blu rays before it is too late. I know most of them are long shots, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Naked City
Route 66
I Spy
Mannix
Adam 12
Hawaii Five-O (original)
Mod Squad
Columbo
The Rookies
Streets of San Francisco
Police Story
Police Woman
Starsky and Hutch
Family
Quincy ME
ChiPS
Eight is Enough
Veg$s
The White Shadow
Dukes of Hazzard
Hart to Hart
Greatest American Hero
The Fall Guy
Simon and Simon
TJ Hooker
Matt Houston
Tales of the Gold Monkey
Voyagers!
Hardcastle and McCormick
Riptide
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Hunter
Spenser for Hire
21 Jump Street
Crime Story

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
For myself, I am not so into dramatic TV from the late 80s through late 00s. In particular, production budgets were really cut to the bone in the late 80s/early 90s, and most of those shows had a cheap look even on original broadcast.

My hope is to get the following on U.S. Blu rays before it is too late. I know most of them are long shots, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Naked City
Route 66
I Spy
Mannix
Adam 12
Hawaii Five-O (original)
Mod Squad
Columbo
The Rookies
Streets of San Francisco
Police Story
Police Woman
Starsky and Hutch
Family
Quincy ME
ChiPS
Eight is Enough
Veg$s
The White Shadow
Dukes of Hazzard
Hart to Hart
Greatest American Hero
The Fall Guy
Simon and Simon
TJ Hooker
Matt Houston
Tales of the Gold Monkey
Voyagers!
Hardcastle and McCormick
Riptide
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Hunter
Spenser for Hire
21 Jump Street
Crime Story
I would buy 28 of those on your list. 😁

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m hoping Mayberry RFD 2 and 3 are released on physical media. Also I would hope Warner releases season 5 of head of the class. Last but not least. I know mgm was purchased by Amazon when which doesn’t help matters. But in the heat of the night on Blu Ray would be nice. Preferably with all episodes cleared. The oop TGG direct licensed seasons are INCOMPLETE

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I’m hoping Mayberry RFD 2 and 3 are released on physical media. Also I would hope Warner releases season 5 of head of the class. Last but not least. I know mgm was purchased by Amazon when which doesn’t help matters. But in the heat of the night on Blu Ray would be nice. Preferably with all episodes cleared. The oop TGG direct licensed seasons are INCOMPLETE
Hope you get what you want.

--jthree

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

Naked City
Route 66
I Spy
Mannix
Adam 12
Hawaii Five-O (original)
Mod Squad
Columbo
The Rookies
Streets of San Francisco
Police Story
Police Woman
Starsky and Hutch
Family
Quincy ME
ChiPS
Eight is Enough
Veg$s
The White Shadow
Dukes of Hazzard
Hart to Hart
Greatest American Hero
The Fall Guy
Simon and Simon
TJ Hooker
Matt Houston
Tales of the Gold Monkey
Voyagers!
Hardcastle and McCormick
Riptide
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Hunter
Spenser for Hire
21 Jump Street
Crime Story
For me, the remaining SD shows I want on DVD or Blu-Ray or streaming would be...
Barefoot in the Park (1970 TV series)
Funny Face (1971)/The Sandy Duncan Show (1972)
Me and the Chimp (1972)
Love Story (TV series) (1973-74)
Paper Moon (TV series) (1974)
Archer (1975 TV series)
Serpico (TV series) (1976-77)
Busting Loose (1977)/The Ted Knight Show (1978 TV series)
Blansky's Beauties (1977)
Szysznyk (1977)
Mulligan's Stew (1977)
Who's Watching the Kids? (1978)
Brothers and Sisters (1979)
Makin' It (1979)
Out of the Blue (US TV series) (1979)
Working Stiffs (1979)
Struck by Lightning (1979)
The Associates (US TV series) (1979-80)
Goodtime Girls (1980)
Foul Play (TV series) (1981)
Making the Grade (1982)
The Renegades (1983 TV series)
Ryan's Four (1983)
Mr. Smith (1983 TV series)
Call to Glory (1984-85)
Gung Ho (TV series) (1986-87)
Duet (1987-89)/Open House (1989-90)

For Hanna-Barbera and Ruby-Spears:
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968)
Cattanooga Cats (1969)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972-73)
These Are the Days (1974-75)
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
Mumbly (1976)
CB Bears (1977)
Skatebirds (1977)/The Three Robonic Stooges (1978)
Yogi's Space Race (1978)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
Fangface (1978-80)
The New Fred and Barney Show (1979)
The New Shmoo (1979)
Mighty Man and Yukk (1979-80)
Rickety Rocket (1979-80)
The Plastic Man/Baby Plas Super Comedy Show (1980)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
Wildfire (1986)
The Addams Family (1992 TV series) (1992-93)

~Ben

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
So I go on youtube and this trailer is recommended to me. Cimmarron Strip has been in HD for at the bare minimum 7 years and hasn't even showed up on streaming?

Quite surprising that this fabulous series has yet to see the light of day anywhere in HD. If it had been on H&I it could only have been remastered standard definition as the service remains in 480i. I certainly do not recall seeing it as it appears in the YouTube upload you posted. The non-remastered Cimarron Strip - Complete Series Sony release has gone OPP and was a major disappointment to begin with. I imagine the rights to the 35mm prints were acquired from Stuart Whitman who passed away in 2020.

The snybible last updated 1/22/15 does state. This series has been transferred into HD and has the following masters: Network 4x3 HD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks