What's new

The era of TV shows on DVD is coming to an end (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
When it comes to stage (or screen) actors, the younger relatives think actors/actresses are the ultimate "theater nerds". They don't have any notion of a "movie star".

This is all in spite of being raised watching a lot of superhero movies. It is as if the "character" is everything, while the underlying actor/actress is mostly inconsequential.
That's because just about *anyone* can play the "suit" in a superhero movie as long as they act mostly like the audience is expecting. Basically - a script that's "true to form" for the guy in the suit. Most of those movies require very little in the form of "acting." As long as you can say your lines and don't sound like you're reading them you should be OK.

There have not been true "actors" in movies for several decades...

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
The era of TV shows on DVD is coming to end when you can get better HD video quality of shows on streaming than you can get on DVD, shows like Wagon Train, Laramie, The Virginian, etc :(

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The era of TV shows on DVD is coming to end when you can get better HD video quality of shows on streaming than you can get on DVD, shows like Wagon Train, Laramie, The Virginian, etc :(
So true, even a physical media diehard has to re-evaluate when the quality angle goes the direction of streaming.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It probably won't be long before the older TV shows on streaming come to an end, too, because of the cost associated with remastering the TV shows for streaming. I hope this will not be the case, especially for Warner Archive.

~Ben

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It probably won't be long before the older TV shows on streaming come to an end, too, because of the cost associated with remastering the TV shows for streaming. I hope this will not be the case, especially for Warner Archive.

~Ben
Not necessarily. Studios like CBS/Paramount have been transferring shows into HD from the beginning of the DVD era. They used them for the DVD releases, which is why so many of them look so good on DVD. It is just now that they are starting to become available, a few as Blu-ray releases, but the majority more than likely through streaming. I don't know how many other studios (e.g., WB) planned ahead in the same way. I also believe it has been stated that the cost to transfer has gone down over the years. Likely, the bigger of the classic shows that made it to DVD will come out in HD via streaming, they are still viable products, some of the lessor titles may or may not, and most of those that never got a DVD release will likely still have difficulty moving forward. Just a hunch on my part based on what we are starting to see.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

~Ben
They will likely begin to disappear from streaming when their core fanbase has completely transitioned to nursing homes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They will likely begin to disappear from streaming when their core fanbase has completely transitioned to nursing homes.
Not if my grandkids have anything to say about it... they love classic 60s TV - many, many series. Some are in their top 10 favorites of all time. Things like I Love Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, Batman, Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and more.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I don't know. Streaming is likely the least costly method of syndication that the studios have ever had, as well as for streaming sites that want to add them to their current list of options. Studios most likely just store the content to the cloud and streaming sites just license to have access to specific content within that cloud space. How easy is that. If not the big streaming sites, there likely will always be smaller up-in-comers wanting to provide access to what isn't available anywhere else. I think that's a model that can sustain what is likely already a smaller fanbase but that has always managed to cultivate new enough membership over time to keep it viable.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't know. Streaming is likely the least costly method of syndication that the studios have ever had, as well as for streaming sites that want to add them to their current list of options. Studios most likely just store the content to the cloud and streaming sites just license to have access to specific content within that cloud space. How easy is that. If not the big streaming sites, there likely will always be smaller up-in-comers wanting to provide access to what isn't available anywhere else. I think that's a model that can sustain what is likely already a smaller fanbase but that has always managed to cultivate new enough membership over time to keep it viable.

You would think that is so (and I wish it was), but if you take a look around today the selection of pre-2000 TV shows available for streaming is already a bit limited.

To provide some anecdotal evidence, in the last few months I had to turn to Youtube or (shudder) Daily Motion to watch the following series (all of them fairly popular in their time), as I couldn't find them on any subscription services (feel free to tell me if I missed them):
Highway Patrol
The Mod Squad
The Rookies
Police Woman
Vega$
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Jake and the Fatman

Prime has a lot of shows but most are ad-supported now, I suppose because they weren't really a big draw for subscribers. Netflix and Hulu have almost nothing. Disney+ has animated shows but I don't think much live action. Not sure about Peacock or Paramount as I haven't dived into them yet, but they haven't turned up yet in my many searches for online availability of various older shows.

There are some free sites like Tubi, Pluto and Crackle that have some cool older shows here and there. Hopefully they will expand their offerings.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
You would think that is so (and I wish it was), but if you take a look around today the selection of pre-2000 TV shows available for streaming is already a bit limited.
I think Mod Squad has a good chance of showing up streaming someday, as well as:

These are just CBS/Paramount titles (some are already available for streaming)
Andy Griffith Show
Bonanza
Cimarron Strip
The Fugitive
Gomer Pyle
Gunsmoke
Have Gun, Will Travel
Hawaii Five-O
High Chaparral
Hogan's Heroes
Honeymooners
I Love Lucy
The Lucy Show
Mannix
Mission Impossible
The Odd Couple
Perry Mason
Petticoat Junction
Beverly Hillbillies
Rawhide
Streets of San Francisco
Trackdown
Twilight Zone
Untouchables
Wild Wild West

Others that I have already seen streaming are:
The Virginian
Wagon Train
Tales of Wells Fargo
Laramie
Death Valley Days
Danny Thomas Show
The Waltons
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Rockford Files
Lost in Space

Everything listed above has either partial or full HD masters available. It makes no sense to have created HD masters if they aren't going to be used, and the likelihood would be streaming over physical media releases. I did not include any WB titles since I do not know their status for HD masters, but one would hope they've planned for the future as much as CBS/Paramount.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Practically all shows which for the most part have been put on DVD. If not, then they had tape transfers done for sales years ago. Shows which have never been put to tape are unlikely to ever be seen again. To the best of my knowledge, Worldvision and MGM put their libraries on one-inch in the 80s but there are lots of shows sitting in the CBS/Paramount, Sony, Universal and Warner warehouses that only exist on 35mm film. Forget about Fox. They don't even know their older shows exist and the stuff they inherited from Metromedia? Forget it.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Practically all shows which for the most part have been put on DVD. If not, then they had tape transfers done for sales years ago. Shows which have never been put to tape are unlikely to ever be seen again. To the best of my knowledge, Worldvision and MGM put their libraries on one-inch in the 80s but there are lots of shows sitting in the CBS/Paramount, Sony, Universal and Warner warehouses that only exist on 35mm film. Forget about Fox. They don't even know their older shows exist and the stuff they inherited from Metromedia? Forget it.
I'm thinking there could be a plot for the next Mission Impossible movie here. "Your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to get the complete St. Elsewhere out on Blu ray."

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I don't think we have to worry so much about classic TV disappearing from streaming sites. However, there may be a concern for any shows that don't make the transition from SD to HD. I can see where at some point SD content is no longer desirable to stream.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I don't think we have to worry so much about classic TV disappearing from streaming sites. However, there may be a concern for any shows that don't make the transition from SD to HD. I can see where at some point SD content is no longer desirable to stream.
If the phasing out of SD programming were to be a thing, it would be a big loss for all us cartoon fans, since the classic 1930-69 Looney Tunes and the Hanna-Barbera library, among others, started out in plain SD when shown on TV since right now most of these old cartoons aren't yet available in HD.

~Ben

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
If the phasing out of SD programming were to be a thing, it would be a big loss for all us cartoon fans, since the classic 1930-69 Looney Tunes and the Hanna-Barbera library, among others, started out in plain SD when shown on TV since right now most of these old cartoons aren't yet available in HD.

~Ben
It will be interesting to see what makes the transition to HD. I was a bit surprised to see that CBS had transferred Cimarron Strip and Trackdown to HD considering some of the other titles they passed over. I don't see SD going away anytime soon, and I can imagine sites springing up to support lost SD titles if there is still an interest. It's the primary streaming services that will likely make the transition first, so that's what will be interesting to watch for.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Maybe, but for now all the retro cable channels are happy to air old shows with horrendous sub-SD picture quality.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting to see what makes the transition to HD. I was a bit surprised to see that CBS had transferred Cimarron Strip and Trackdown to HD considering some of the other titles they passed over. I don't see SD going away anytime soon, and I can imagine sites springing up to support lost SD titles if there is still an interest. It's the primary streaming services that will likely make the transition first, so that's what will be interesting to watch for.
CBS doesn't own Cimarron Strip, its owned by Stuart Whitman's estate, unless they sold it. Also, if it was transferred to HD, first, is it complete? Because the SD masters were cut by around 5-6 minutes. Second question is, are they in the proper 4x3 aspect ratio?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

~Ben
Every format switch, be it in television or music, leaves many things behind. When stations used to run shows off a 16mm film chain, practically every filmed series was available. When it went exclusively to tape, many shows were only transferred if a network wanted to buy it and foot the bill for the transfers. Encore Westerns did this with many shows, like Tales of Wells Fargo for instance. But there are a great many shows that have never been mastered to tape and aren't available unless the buyer is willing to pay for it. An example of this is Farmer's Daughter. Antenna wanted the show but Sony had never put it to tape as the last time it ran, in the mid-80s, they were still sending out film prints. Other long running shows which fall into the same category are Whirlybirds, San Francisco Beat (aka The Lineup), Love That Bob, black and white Dragnet of course, and many others. If everything goes to only HD, there will be many more shows that their owners don't feel are worth the transfer costs.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
CBS doesn't own Cimarron Strip, its owned by Stuart Whitman's estate, unless they sold it. Also, if it was transferred to HD, first, is it complete? Because the SD masters were cut by around 5-6 minutes. Second question is, are they in the proper 4x3 aspect ratio?
It's listed in the CBS Syndication Bible as transferred to HD. It is one season. Anything I've seen to-date transferred by CBS to HD has always been complete and in the correct aspect ratio, in this case 4x3. CBS has traditionally used the original film masters to make these transfers to HD.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Every format switch, be it in television or music, leaves many things behind...If everything goes to only HD, there will be many more shows that their owners don't feel are worth the transfer costs.
This very true. On the one hand, less content will make the transition. On the other hand, what makes the transition will be incredible quality to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks