The entire Who catalog will be on SACD!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

This is from Pete himself....in the latest issue on "Home Theater" magazine, there's an interview of Pete Townshend by Steve Guttenberg (not the Police Academy dude) in which Pete said he will put the entire Who catalog on SACD. Check it out at your local newstand.

2. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Excellent!

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I still say, get that Canadian CD of "Who's Next" mastered by Steve Hoffman before it's too late (a hybrid SACD/CD might replace all other versions)... it's real cheap (even imported), and the SACD is gonna have to be extraordinarily special to better it.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ight=whos+next

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice addition to the SACD lineup and it's alot more than the DVD-A camp is doing, but...

it's more "old rock". SACD needs more new releases, even if it isn't day and date with the CD release.

Between The Rolling Stones, Peter Gabriel, The Police, Bob Dylan and The Who - these artists account for a sizable percentage of mainstream rock on SACD. It'd be better for the format if they spread the love a bit more to other artists.

I think Sony's and the labels are admitting that today's young consumers aren't interested in Hi-rez, by their constant targetting the older crowd with classic rock, jazz and classical.

In any case, the DVD-A camp better get moving since SACD is pulling further away and embarrasing them in the battle for the hirez niche market.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Great news Danny. Congrats on the scoop!

Marc,

I think Sony has decided to go after the older music fan who has more disposable income and is often a repeat buyer. They also tend to be early adopters which is really what SACD needs right now. As long as a stable base of customers gets established, the stage will be set for the format to widen out to younger buyers who like different acts.

Having said that, there is certainly a lot that can be done with other artists. [​IMG]

6. Michael St. Clair

Did Pete say the discs won't be duplicated as DVD-A releases, like 'Tommy'?

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Michael,

I read the article (about 3 pages long) while browsing at Tower Records. Pete said he was having so much fun with remixing "Tommy" that he said he will do the entire catalog of The Who. There was no reference to DVD-A that I can remember.

Lee,

As for other artists being on SA-CD, Sony need to get the ball rolling with Sade, Springsteen, etc....

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Speaking of getting other artists in on SACD, I'm very surprised Simon & Garfunkel hasn't found it's way to SACD.

Sony owns the rights and it seems to be the right music for SACDs target audience.

I would imagine S&G in hi-rez would sound pretty sweet, and Sony could advertise the fact that they have all 6 studio recordings on their format.

Hell, at least release a Greatest Hits complilation.

This doesn't address the issue of the lack of newer recordings on the format, but I find it puzzling in any case.

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Sony Music and Sony Electronics are basically 2 differently run businesses that probably should talk to one another more often to get on the same page and put out stuff that will sell. There is a a variety of music sitting around that could be released on SACD and sell of many genres, incl.the Springsteen catalog as are some of Billy Joel's stuff,Dixie Chicks, ELO, Sinatra, Heart, Journey, Kansas, Mountain, Pearl Jam, The Clash, Van Morrison and even stuff like Woodstock '99, just to name some stuff that is on Sony Records or one of its affiliates. Not sure if they own the rights to reissue stuff on artists that have swtiched labels but they could do more.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I am surprised that Dixie Chicks isn't on SACD, given the huge sales of each of their albums.

At least we have J Lo on SACD [​IMG]