What's new

The $ensible Sound - Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Review (1 Viewer)

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Received an email from David of Ascend Acoustics telling of an upcoming review in "The $ensible Sound" on the CBM-170 speaker! When anyone finds out for certain which issue it will be in let us know. Howard Ferstler is supposed to have written the article. I think it's great that an "e-company" like Ascend is finally getting some press from a "print" source. As a future customer of Ascend Acoustics, I look forward to reading more about the speakers I'll be buying!

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
haha...sorta seems like it......but I'm very interested nonetheless. i like the look of the ascend cbm-170. pretty much the anti-diva. All business and no fancy stuff.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I like the looks of the ascends too. Anti-Diva, Anti-Diva, Anti-Diva. Maybe we should start a website audiovomit.com as an anti-diva site? Hey, that name has a ring to it... www.audiovomit.com Hey diva fans.. relax... just a bit of humor...
I got that same email as Ben because I am on the mailing list and am looking forward to that review as well.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
i wonder how much cheaper divas could be if they cut out all the "good looks"...
Actually, it wouldn't be all that significant. Sure the Rosewood is more expensive than your standard PVC or laminate, but the curved cabinet serves a real purpose and just happens to look quite nice. 3/4" MDF, triple bracing in the 6.1 with asymmetric cut outs etc all contribute to the sound quality and cost. I don't want to sales pitch you guys :D so I will bow out quietly....
Regards,
Sean

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Jason,
I have to agree. Lotsa people around here just lookin' for cheap. I generally equate cheap with crap.

JasonFab

Grip
Hi,

We have been told that our forthcoming review of our CBM-170 speakers in the Sensible Sound will either be issue # 92 (next printing) or # 93 (following release).

I hope this answers your questions and please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Jason! I'll be on the lookout for the review. By the way, I should be receiving a pair of CBM-170s from ya'll tomorrow (man it's going to be a long night!!!):D

JasonFab

Grip
Hi Jeff,

Howard Ferstler is reviewing our 22-2000 5 channel system. This consists of 4 CBM-170 speakers (fronts and rears) and a CBM-170 center.

It is my understanding that he will be (or already has) tested the system with a few different HSU subwoofers, including, of course, the VTF-2 and VTF-3. It is also my understanding that he will be reviewing the system for both its music performance and HT performance.

We are all very excited about the upcoming review as Mr. Ferstler's initial comments were VERY positive.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Randy, sorry for the delay posting my first impressions on the CBM-170s but lightning fried a card in my computer along with the cable modem. Anyway, I received the speakers right on schedule Wed. July 3rd. They were double-boxed and arrived in perfect condition. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the 170s. You won't confuse them with a pair of B&Ws, but they do look elegant to me in an understated classic manner.
I first hooked them up to my "regular stereo" system, driving them with an Adcom GFA-555II power amp (200 wpc). I listened to several cds I am extremely familiar with and I was VERY pleased with the "musicality" (is that a word?) of these speakers. Although they don't reach down to the lower octaves, they do have a respectable bass response. I'm sure that when I'm able to get a Hsu VTF-2 sub, I'll have all the bass I need.

BTW, the 170s do seem big when you compare them to your average bookshelf speaker. But their dimensions are exactly as advertised and they are heavy for their size (I equate this with quality). Oh yeah, I didn't know what CBM stood for until I saw it printed on the shipping carton - Compact Bookshelf Monitor, now it seems pretty obvious (duh!).

I've watched several movies using an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver and a Sony DVP-NS500V dvd player and while I don't have surround capability yet these speakers allowed me to enjoy the movies immensely. I particularly enjoyed the new Yes Symphonic Live concert dvd. These speakers have a very smooth response from the soft dome tweeters and cross over seamlessly to the woofer (much like the old ADS speakers).

In closing, I am very pleased with the Ascends and can't wait until I can complete a 5.1 system. If you have any questions post them, and by all means take advantage of the sale they have going on now. And please post your thoughts on the Ascends when you get them.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ben for posting your impressions!

The CBMs are definitely the speakers for me. I decided that a while back. Ive been sittin' on the fence regarding what subwoofer to get. Ascend gave me a great package price with the VTF-3 and I am 95% sure I will get this sub as opposed to the VTF-2. I Need to feel the bass!

Have you had a chance to compare your Ascends with any other speakers you considered?

tanx again!

Randy

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Ben,

maybe you should start a new thread with your review of the Ascend speakers? This thread was tainted with Diva crap (as most threads at least used to be, until Diva went bye bye!)

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Randy, the only speakers I've directly compared the Ascends with are my JBL L-150 towers. Of course, the bass response of the JBLs is far and away more extended, but the 170s gave a good account of themselves. I can't wait until I'm able to get a Hsu VTF-2 and hear the difference it will make. I envy you getting a VTF-3, I bet it will sound awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks