The end of TV as we know it....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jul 21, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

At least if this articles story comes true... Here's the article link, and my reply to the original newsgroup poster..
    > http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/bus...5popupads.html
    >
    Sadly, this is already haappening. Ever watch that Redneck excuse for a Channel by the name of TNN? That annoying black bar at the bottom.
    >>None of this might be happening if traditional 30-second commercials got more respect. Many consumers treat them as an excuse to change channels. Advertisers worry they are losing their punch. And network executives fear commercial-skipping TV devices will make them obsolete.>>
    Here's a suggestion. If the commercial breaks come less frequently, and last no more than a minute or so, I'm less likley to change the channel, ala if I'm watching CBS. If they last two minutes, who cares? Just tape the show and FF through them. When the commercials become more important than the show, people tune out of both.
    This has to be frustrating to show producers as well. Their getting less time to produce a quality product, and what time they do have is now being interupted.
    All the more reason to watch TV on DVD now adays. Screw the commercials.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your last sentence sums it all up quite neatly. Here's to TV programming on DVD.

3. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Yeah, I find that black bar annoying too. If the video was originally done in letterbox, then fine. Put a few ads on the black bars. I find one benifit of commercials. It gives you plenty of time to get something from the fridge, maybe take a quit shit, or something. If we all get TIVO systems and we hadda use the JOHN, we can just hit the pause button. Hell with the commercials.

4. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

The TV programs on DVD will be the popular one, of course. The mediocre and unpopular ones will be quickly forgotten.

I could not longer watch news stations like "CNN Headline News" because of information shown on the screen. Also, the format of "Headline News" now resembles the local news.

5. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, I almost never watch traditional cable anyways so it looks like I'll just keep it that way. [​IMG]

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

damn, my TiVo is going to become obsolete [​IMG]

7. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

If they start adding commercials to DVDs, I'm gonna be totally pissed. Here's an idea for people who like commercials. There are some funny ones. Make a DVD with about 1,000 commercials or so. Compressed at a Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo with a VCD Quality Video bitrate. That should hold TONS of commercials. That'd be great for people who love those commercials that are just so damn funny.

8. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

They pretty much already have added commercials to DVD's, almost any movie you watch has that quick ad here & there.
    You know the ones I mean someone lights up a cig & they seem to zoom in on that pack of Marlboros,or Coke or Pepsi those are a couple of big ones. A movie is perfect advertizement for a product,(well at least to someone trying to sell something)...

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

The end of T.V. as we know it? Good riddance!

10. Thik Nongyow

We can go further and say that films like "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," "Scooby Doo," "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider," "Powerpuff Girls the Movie," etc. are long-running commercials for their respective products.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Well, you could go even further and say every tv show and movie is a long running commercial, with the millions spent on product placement.

12. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I saw one of those pop-up ads and changed the channel.

Personally, I'm far more annoyed with the loss of screen real estate on a televised football game.

With the score in the upper left, other scores in the upper right, the networks logo in the lower right and sports update bars along the bottom or left side every 20 minutes or whatever, there just isn't much screen left to view the game.

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, they are truly nuts. I use the commercial advance on my VCR, and it makes watching TV so much easier. I do wonder what is going to happen if the advertisers stop advertising on TV, though. The show/network could just collape. PBS anyone? [​IMG]
    As for CNN, I quit watching it when they split the screen up. Fox's screen isn't quite so messy, but if I ever saw a pop-up commerical, I'd quit watching the show and let them know why.
    It's almost ironic that the commercial time has increased, which in turn brought the network more money, but now we aren't paying attention to them. I guess they're never heard of the phrase - too much of a good thing, or the word 'overkill'.
    TNN may think they're doing ok, but no one has asked me. I've put it on my 'don't even think about watching' list, along with CNN.
    Glenn

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

15. Thik Nongyow

If the TV networks could not survive because of a lack of advertising revenue, I could imagine they will try to ask the federal government for help just like the major airlines did after September 11th.

Just think about it, we want services and things free whether it is in the Internet or off-line, but look at the price for getting it free: commercials and ads. Free TV channels, ads; free radio stations, ads; free home pages, ads; free e-mail account, ads; free news sites, ads; free message boards, ads; Home Theater Forum, ads; and so on.

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

PBS USED to just show a blue screen with the sponsoring company's name in white letters, with a voice saying "This program has been made possible by a grant from this company." That was IT!
    Having a bug on PBS is even WORSE than on commercial TV, since there's no commercial breaks for it to be turned off during!

17. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

18. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I have never understood the idea behind the network logo bugs. If I turn to TNN and I'm constantly seeing their logo bug in the corner of my screen, what do the expect me to do? Go out and buy TNN stock? I swear, I just don't get it.
    To go one step further, I've never bought into the whole concept behind television advertising in general. One or many of my conceptions must be wrong. The majority of the people don't like commercials. The majority of the people don't watch commercials and here's the big one, the majority of the people do not change their spending habits because of commercials. If a commercial doesn't increase or help maintain sells, where's the return on investment? What's the point? I guarantee you, no matter how many Coke commercials I see, my purchases of Coke will not be influenced by those commercials.
    I see advertisement being effective in one category. New product introduction. That's about it.
    As far the the multi-split screens, for football, I must admit I'm probably one of the very few that like it. Sure makes it easy to keep track of those 12 team parlays. [​IMG]

19. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

20. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>have never understood the idea behind the network logo bugs. If I turn to TNN and I'm constantly seeing their logo bug in the corner of my screen, what do the expect me to do? Go out and buy TNN stock? I swear, I just don't get it. >>
    Well, the one and only theory that I have heard on this one, is that it's effective for people on vacation to easilly and quickly find their favorite stations in their local hotel room. Although, this isn't neccesary at all, since all they have to do is buy a cheap local TV Guide, or do what I do. Ask my Floridian Relatives what channel is what [​IMG].
    >>To go one step further, I've never bought into the whole concept behind television advertising in general. One or many of my conceptions must be wrong. The majority of the people don't like commercials. The majority of the people don't watch commercials and here's the big one, the majority of the people do not change their spending habits because of commercials. If a commercial doesn't increase or help maintain sells, where's the return on investment? What's the point? I guarantee you, no matter how many Coke commercials I see, my purchases of Coke will not be influenced by those commercials. >>
    This is something I've always wondered as well. It migth be a bit different with things like Burger King, or McDonalds. Driving down a road near lunch time, ghear a commercial for it, decide it's a good idea and go get it.
    But a car commercial? "Cool, that car flipped over like KITT from Knight Rider! Lets go get one now!" Doubt it's going to happen.