The End of the World has begun

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertR, Jan 13, 2003.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I liked the bit about the black paint.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

So... our time is half up on Earth. Just another reason why NASA needs to get their ass in gear and find a way to get us off of this godforsaken planet.
    Really, if a meteor (ALA 'Armageddon') were to hit right now... mankind would be screwed because we were too damn spendthrift with NASA. Don't we realize that we risk our very existance everyday that we don't find a way to explore space? [​IMG] sigh.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Hey, I live here. If you dont like my place, you can leave.[​IMG]

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Think of the progress we've made since the Enlightenment. Then think of the progress made since October 4, 1957 (in all areas of endeavor). Now try to comprehend billions of years of human evolution (assuming we do not destroy ourselves before further evolutionary patterns develop). Who knows what we might be doing?

In the 1970s, The Club of Rome issued a gloom-and-doom edict about humanity's near future as an industrialized species. Though many of their concerns are valid to this day, events have since proven some of the organization's contentions wrong. We are still a civilization (of sorts).

The authors of the report are being accurate, it seems. But they are also being unimaginative.

Proxima Centauri has never looked so pretty.

We'll reach the far stars.

8. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Jack is quite right. Human progress in the areas of science and technology (the two areas of human knowledge which most directly contribute to our physical well-being) are evolving at an exponential rate. Barring any unforeseen events that would throw the developed world into chaos, humans will have colonies on semi-inhabitable planets and moons within the next 1000 years. Imagine how far we will reach within the next 100,000 years.

I'm only sad our human lifespans won't allow us to see the wonders of the galaxy in person.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

According to the astrobiologists, we still have about 500,000,000 years to go before we must leave Earth. About 182,500,000,000 days, about 4,380,000,000,000 hours, about 262,800,000,000,000 minutes, about 15,768,000,000,000,000 seconds. That's a helluva lot of time. Think about what we've accomplished in the past 100 years. Those astrobiologists are extremely pessimistic, as far as I'm concerned. If we can't build something massive like the USS Enterprise by the year 3000 (that's an extremely safe estimate, I would say 2200 at the earliest), then something must've gone horribly wrong with the space program, and the astrobiologists could be right. Seriously, what's keeping us from building something even more massive like the Death Star in the next few hundred years? I'm not saying we build a huge weapon to fend off the improbable super-human intelligence alien, I'm talking about a massive alternative habitat. Yes, I know it's taking a "long time" to build the International Space Station, but I'm predicting/hoping that the space program will take off again, it's just a matter of time.

10. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"The End of the World has begun"

GOOD!!! The sooner the better I say.

12. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

13. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

How to rejuvenate the space program:

Nobody listens to scientists. They aren't sexy. They don't drape themselves with the droppings of status. They don't have the big SUV, private jet, entourage of paparazzi, supermodels hanging off the arm, and thousands of screaming teenaged girls greeting them at every airport and lecture hall.

Scientists had their day in 1950's B-movie SF films...revered and feared at the same time. The quentissential mad scientist with the gorgeous big-breasted-bimbo assistant. It was just cool to be a scientist back then. They were respected.

This is why NASA is so underfunded. Humans are attracted to status and adoration. If scientists are just like everybody else, then who would give a damn about them? Look at the celebrities and sports stars...they're treated like royalty. Good looks and conspicuous displays of wealth bestow status upon them by an uncritical public (not because they are stupid, but because it is instinct...3 out of 4 anthropologists agree!).

This is why science always gets shafted in the light of public exposure. NASA needs to confront this aspect of human nature head-on.

NASA needs a makeover. It needs sex appeal. It needs THOUSANDS OF SCREAMING TEENAGED GIRLS. Only then will it be given the respect (and the funding) it deserves.

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

So Max, are you saying that Mars Needs Women? [​IMG]

16. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

OK, if someone is willing to supply the "gorgeous big-breasted-bimbo assistant" I'm willing to be the mad scientist. But I want earplugs to help block the sound of the THOUSANDS OF SCREAMING TEENAGED GIRLS... and not the cheap foam earplugs either. I want the good ones that hang around your neck.
    Oh yeah, and I want a colosal fortress/secret HQ/laboratory hidden inside of a mountain on a tropical island. And all the toys (Gulfstream V, speed boat, exotic sports cars, death ray, etc.) that come with it.
    Just IM me when everything is ready [​IMG]

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

18. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

In theory, the end of the world started when earth was born, so I'd say they're correct. As for finding another planet, I'm sure there are plenty of M-class planets out there. At warp 9, I'm sure we could reach one in less than 24 hours.

... Or maybe I shouldn't have watched all of TNG season 7 in less than 3 days...

--Anders

19. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

20. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Amazon Women from the Moon is a parady of B-Movies. I thought it was hilarious when I watched it 20 yrs ago, but I may have been under some mind-altering substances.... The HDTV demo-loops would have probably been funny at the time.