The End of The Big East Conference?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Merryfield, May 14, 2003.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The Atlantic Coast Conference has voted to expand from nine to twelve teams, and it appears that the conference has its sights set on schools from the Big East to fill those spots. Miami is the primary school being recruited, with Syracuse, Boston College and Virginia Tech being the other possibilities.

Supposedly, Miami wants Syracuse to come along, and Virginia agreed to the expansion only if Virginia Tech was part of the plan. However, the rest of the ACC wants Boston College and its large TV market. Syracuse does not seem too thrilled at the idea of riding into the ACC on Miami's coat tails.

The Big Ten has also been looking into adding a 12th team, and Syracuse's name has come up as a possibility. If Miami relents on the Orangemen coming along, it's entirely possible that Miami, BC and VT could end up in the ACC and Syracuse could then jump to the Big Ten.

This would remove virtually all the football powers from the Big East. Could the conference survive as a basketball-only conference, or would it fall apart like the Southwestern Conference did after its football powers left for the Big 12 and SEC?

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

I would think that if those teams mentioned moved to the ACC, then Pittsburgh, which is getting its football act together with coaching and facilities, would be forced to make noise about moving to the Big Ten.

3. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I think the Big East is in a lot of trouble. They might try to cherry pick some Atlantic 10, Conference USA or even MAC schools. The teams with big issues would be the 5 remaining football schools and Notre Dame.

The big domino is the Big 10 (11). The commissioner has said that they are very happy with 11 teams and are not thinking about expansion. Joe Paterno has made some comments about adding Pitt. I do think the Big 10 is still holding out for Notre Dame.

It will be interesting summer for college sports fans.

Todd

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Big East will turn into the Big Least if this happens.

5. Scott Merryfield

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

This does not look good for the Big East or the BCS. Its a shame because it looked like the Big East was moving forward with teams like Pitt and even UConn jumped into the mix. I honestly think this move will devastate Big East football for a long, long time.

As far as the BCS, I don't think they could give an automatic bid to a conference that would be on par or inferior to Conference USA, or almost the Mtn West (if SU,Miami, And VT go). I read reports that the Big East would go after Louisville, but personally I think the CUSA looks pretty good right now. Give them about 10 more years to grow and you never know, they could be a powerhouse conference if they make the right moves. They have a great basketball conference and thats a cheap way of getting name recognition in order to expand and attract football (like the ACC).

I never thought I would say the ACC is a major football conference but with teams like Virginia, GT, Clemson, Maryland, Syracuse, Florida St., Miami and either VT or BC it is going to be pretty tough. Even NC and WF can surprise you with a decent season.

I think the Big East got what was coming to them, unfortunately. They never put enough emphasis on football, and although I prefer college basketball I realize football is the reason we have these mega conferences, because its football that brings home the real money. I always thought it was kinda ridiculous to allow the Big East a BCS spot when a handful of their members did not even field teams. That, to me, does not epitomize what a football conference deserving of an automatic BSC spot is. Without Miami or Syracuse, I can't say that it has weakened my opinion.

I am sure the Big East will survive and I think they should go after Louisville, UMass, and possibly RI, but that is not going to replace what they are about to lose. Its a real tough situation for Big East fans and as a Big 8 fan we saw it happen to the South West Conference when we took their 3 best teams + Baylor. Its not fair to the fans left behind, but in the end its all about the all mighty dollar.

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

My guess is that all large conferences that aren't yet at 12 teams--Big 10, Pac 10, ACC--will be there within the next few years. Conferences like the Big East and Atlantic 10 will have to reorganize.

Of course, the Big Ten is already at 11, so when it goes to 12 it can call itself the Big Twelve, or the New Big Twelve, or the Really Big Twelve, and the Big Twelve can be the Big Fourteen, or the Conference Formerly Known as the Big Twelve.

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

9. Scott Merryfield

10. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Well, as for football, the ACC and the Big East were pretty weak so consolidating them would be a good thing. Is there any wonder why FSU and Miami are there every year? [​IMG]

Bring Pitt into the Big 10...then I can break out my old "Shitt on Pitt" shirt again. [​IMG]

11. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

12. Scott Merryfield

ESPN is reporting that the ACC will not be recruiting Virginia Tech as a member. Instead, they will offer memberships to Miami, Syracuse and Boston College.

13. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Talk about being left out in the cold. You think Frank Beamer is now second guessing his decision to not allow Alabama to pursue him? I wonder what will happen to VT. All the other schools "left behind" in the Big East have regional conferences around them to join, but VT is stuck down in SEC and ACC country and both those conferences look pretty full.