What's new

The End of Raymond (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

Really...lets see...I would submit to you that any or all of the following shows were highly regarded in their time and could be considered "overated:"

Alf, Ally McBeal, Ellen, The Larry Sanders Show, Malcolm in the Middle, Married with Children, Murphy Brown, Soap, That '70s Show, Three's Company, Will & Grace...etc.

It all goes back to how you define "overrated." Over the years, Raymond has won 12 Emmys and a SAG award. It is consistently in the Nielsen top 10 even after nine years, and the finale show will pull in $1.3 million per 30 second spot. Is Raymond highly rated? Yes. Is it the most overrated show ever? I don't think so.

So my conclusion is that there has never been a more ridiculous statement than the one you just made. See how goofy that sounds. ;)

Peace,

DM

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld and Mad About You were also overrated, IMO.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
if being overrated means the ratings are much higher than the actual quality (quality being subjective, ratings being not) i'd say Seinfeld was underrated at its beginning, and totally overrated by the end.

of course, overrated could also be the hype/quality differential as opposed to ratings/quality differential. is Arrested Development overrated when nobody watches it? if you like the show it's underrated, but if you don't like that show is it "aptly-rated"? :)

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator

You're right and actually I never was into any of those. Your point is well taken that this show has won awards. It may not be for everyone but to say it's overated is subjective I suppose. I will miss it!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Hey watch it bub! ;)

Wait! Larry Sanders overated?? No way!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The appeal of this show is completely lost on me.

I honestly don't get it. I hasn't one shred of originality, or subtletly. The jokes are extremmely obvious and heavy handed, half of the time you can see them a mile away. The laugh track sounds shriller and louder than other sitcoms to my ears, and (for me this is the ultimate sin) goes on for waaayy too long! I always felt they were trying too hard to force it out of me. The only thing I find remotely funny are Peter Boyle's quips.

I am very much aware that this is a minority opinion, after all this thing is the #1 sitcom on TV.

I would love to hear why people love this show so much, seriously. THo it will never be for me, I may at least appreciate it.

My ex was a huge fan, so I have had to sit thru it quite often, but I definitely understand why she loves it so: She was hispanic, very big on "family". So I suspect the show does a reasonable job of exploring conflict within that unit - the wifey / mother-in-law dynamic being an obvious one.

That would be why I can't stand it I guess, I am not much of a family man and this sort of difference of values is why the afforementioned relationship was doomed.

Ray himself seems like a pretty funny guy, his strange voice and features probably make him a riot during his stand up routines.

--
H

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
That's the first time I saw Ray, during his stand up routine (we got free tickets). It was pretty funny stuff, so I started watching the show in it's second season and have been enjoying it ever since.

BTW, Holadem, what's that symbol in yer sig mean?

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks