What's new

The End Of My Era... (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Here at my home at least. My house has been lost to foreclosure and as of this time, I have to vacate by June 10th. Only my attorney can extend that to a more workable date.

Why am I posting this here?

HTF has been a significant thing in my life. The “ScooterPalooza” events, the comradery, the info, and the input that helped build The ScootPlex 2000! I have made friends here, and via this website, old and lost friends have found me once again using google and HTF. The opportunities to review way cool gear (new review coming soon with LED tech) as well as being at The 6 Million Dollar Home Theater.

Not sure where I will wind up. I have wanted to leave New Jersey for quite sometime now. Wyoming is appealing to me. Anyone from there wanna give me some guidance?

So much has happened to me in the last 20 years. Especially since Feb. 16th of this year. I was hospitalized with a cardiac event...flood in the bar area of The ScootPlex 2000...the collapse of a significant relationship of 13 years. That was AFTER winning the lottery for about 2,700 bucks.
God wants me out of this house. And so do I. I just needed a nudge.

So..if you see me on the road in my yet to be purchased R.V. , give me a wave. I’ll still be here lurking and posting. I will have a review of a new really neat and exciting product from BenQ that I’ll be posting shortly.

Boy, am I gonna have a helluva yard sale!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Scooter, you said you wanted out of the house, but I'm sure you'd prefer it be under other circumstances. I hope the turbulence of life smooths out for you soon.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Scooter, what exactly attracts you to Wyoming? My brother lives there so I have some insight.

WY is the least populous state in the Union (approximately 400,000). There has to be a reason.

The far west third has all the scenery: Yellowstone, the Tetons, et al. The other two-thirds looks like the Dakotas. Go rent "Fargo" and that's what much of WY will look like in winter.

The only jobs are in ranching, mining, and oil. Do your skills lie there? However, people in WY have tax breaks like people in Alaska because of all the oil/nat. gas revenues.

If you are older and have severe medical problems, be advised that health care is very limited in WY. My brother in Riverton WY has to go to Colorado for simple oral surgery. If he has a heart attack.....he will die. It's that simple.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Scooter, so sorry to hear of your troubles. Though we've never met, I've certainly seen and enjoyed your many posts over the years. Good luck with your next steps.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I lost a house in New Jersey 15 years ago and ended up in Kentucky. I have been back to NJ only once for a few hours so I guess I don't miss the place. I love this lifestyle here in KY. If you are looking for a rural lifestyle, Barron county was voted the #1 best rural place to live in 2007. Of course with the economy, jobs are not as plentiful as they used to be. The cost of living is far less than NJ. We could not even consider buying the house we live in back in NJ.
Hope things start going your way!

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thanks for the good thought, Dave.

As for wanting to check out Wyoming...it just seems like a good idea. And there are a few occupations I am experienced in, so I figure I can get work at some point.

And yeah...I do want out of this house. I am ready for a change. Frankly, I have wanted to do this since the mid 80's.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Scooter, I'm sorry for your troubles, and I wish you success in your journey ahead, both in health, and in finding a new home. I know nobody will miss the ScootPlex quite as much as you will, but I'd bet some of us will come close.

Please keep us posted, and watch out for the tumbleweeds.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Scoot, though I've never met you personally, I have been a member on the board for quite some time and remember hearing about the numerous Scooter events. I am really sorry to hear about the troubles that have befallen you as of late.

I am in a transitional phase in my life as well though under far different circumstances (I just graduated college) and I am unsure where my life is heading as well.

I wish you the best of luck, please keep us all posted on whatever it is that you do.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dammit! I came thisclose to signing up for a Scooterpalooza a few years ago and somehow knew it was an opportunity that I probably wouldn't see again once I let it go by.

Scooter: We've also never met but it seems that you are taking your situation with much courage and aplomb. I wish you all the best as you set out on your life's newest adventure. Good luck.

I hear Idaho's nice (from Dennis and his kitties).
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Scooter,

Oddly enough, I am almost envious of you. That heady mix of freedom, uncertainty and change is one of the things that reminds us that we are alive. Sometimes the routine of live unchallenged feels smothering in its familiarity...going through the motions...

In any event, I wish you luck and hope that you continue to post here.

Best regards,
Chris

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Chris, you are spot on. As much as this creates anxiety, I have a deeper sense of calm. And I look forward to where this will lead.

With my cell phone and internet access, I can stay in touch with everyone and every place that matters. Like I said above, I have wanted to do this since the mid 80's.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Yeah, it's the end of a lot of our 'era's. :frowning: I had the privilege of attending the '02 and '03 ScooterPaloozas, and remember fondly the hot dogs hot from the cart, the soft pretzels, and the great outdoor shows.

Hey, Scooter, maybe consider Virginia. It's not really the south - more like South Lite, and there are a lot of northern transplants. Northern Va. is just like NJ (in more ways than one) but the cost of living decreases dramatically the further south and west within the state that you go.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Scooter, you might want to consider Pittsburgh. Good healthcare abounds, and the lows of the national economy have not hit here as badly as a lot of other cities. Also housing is ridiculously affordable, and people are friendly and generally welcoming to outsiders.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Didn't Ronbo consider bailing from NJ a while ago? Maybe he'll chip in some commentary.

Scooter, how much of the country have you seen? I personally bailed out of an over-urbanized area back in 2006. I had the advantage of having traveled and worked in 40-odd states previously, which allowed me to cross off my list many place where I knew I didn't want to go.

According to many reports, those 5th wheel trailers are more practical than the conventional RV. Plus there should be lots of bargains on pickup trucks these days.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
A 5th Wheel certainly has a LOT more room than a Class A. However, I prefer the linear, one piece design. That's why trailors are low on the list.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Scoot, sorry to hear about your troubles, man. It sounds like someone hit the reset button on your life. I hope you keep your chin up and try to stay positive with the fresh start. There's been plenty of times I've had to surpress the urge to run out of my cubicle and just hop in my car and drive off into the horizon and start over far away.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted on your "Scoot-ventures"... for those of us who secretly want to live vicariously.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Scooter, I hear ya about the cost of living in NJ. I am living in a tiny shack that could easily be the Crown Palace in a place like Wyoming.. Ok, maybe not Jackson Hole, but you know what I mean.

I am in NJ, although I do enjoy the 4 seasons and proximity to New England and the eastern mountains, I always dream of winning the lottery and moving to Alaska and living in an igloo.

If there is anything you need to perhaps to store while you are away and it will fit in my place here in NJ, let me know. my place is small but perhaps something that you don't want to travel with you or don't have room...

Let me know..

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks