The en-official "how to import an SVS sub to your home country" thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

I'm sick. Sick and tired of wimpy, overpriced bass. Sick of paying upwards of $1,200 for 170 watt, badly designed subwoofers (Definitive Technology comes to mind). The best sub I've managed to get around here is a 12" Velodyne CHT sub, which "sounds nice", but had to pay close to 2x the retail price in order to own.

I want an SVS sub. I want it BADLY. And I want to bring it here LEGALLY.

Problem is, I live in Mexico. So I have less choices.

Here are my options:

1) Import it legally. Costs: I dunno. $100 shipping? Maybe more. 100% in taxes? Close - maybe it's more. Customs fees, etc.? Add some $50. No way.

2) Have it shipped to the States. My sister lives there, she's in the process of becoming an american citizen. Maybe she could bring it back to me, declaring it as an used furniture item, and stating its real value. I could investigate it.

3) Have it shipped to the States, visit my sister with my parents, bring the sub back on the plane. I can bring back $300 worth of merchandise. If my parents decide to come with me, I could bring $900 of stuff - which could be just right for 2 powered subs.

4) There is no number 4. I can think of anything else.

If anyone has ever imported SVS subs to his home country, I'd surely be glad to know about it. I want to do it legally - but sadly, it seems as if I'll have to be looking for "holes" in the current legislation, since more than 100% taxes is simply an idiotic proposition.

Thanks for your help!

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Javier:

I have moved this post in here from Feedback so you might get some better answers for your situation.

Parker

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Javier,

SVS's are fully NAFTA compliant with about 95% of their content created in North America. You pay 100% taxes on US goods imported? That's pretty sad if true, you might want to be certain before ruling out a straight import to Mexico.

Shipping shouldn't be too bad, we can do an exact quote from UPS and Bax Global if you send your address to us (if you haven't already).

Either 2 or 3 above seem like they might work. Not sure what the rules are in those cases. Maybe if your sister holds on to them for some time they can be depreciated or something?

Hope it works out. Given all the great stuff we import (with minimal interference from the US govt.) it'd be a shame if Mexico was keeping us good out with some sort of devious "tax" (just another form of duty in other words). Something just doesn't sound right.

Heck, I found out a car I bought last year was made in Mexico. Turn about is fair play! ;^)

Ron

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

My understanding of NAFTA is that there are no import duties of stuff between Canada, Mexico, and the US as long as it is made in North America. I'm not 100% sure if "North American Content" will work. I know for a fact there are no import duties into the US (from Mexico or Canada) if the item was made in North America (US, Mexico or Canada). I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is the same for Mexico and Canada as well. If it's made in North America you should be good.

Seth

5. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

Seth_L there are still somthings like softwood lumber that have a import tax. The tax for softwood coming from Canada and going to the US is 27%.

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Maybe it's only on finished goods, not raw materials then.

Seth

7. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

I got a svs cs+ to brazil for 299US, including shipping and import taxes. I used a shipping company called champion cargo, that send stuff from miami to anywhere in Brazil.

8. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Javier, my brother lives in Mexico City and what Ron is saying sounds right. He brings things in from the US all the time. Shipping shouldn't be that much. Ahora, la honestidad de la aduana es otra cuestion. [​IMG]