What's new

The Elephant Man-Worth Getting? (1 Viewer)

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
See reviews at;
www.dvdfile.com
www.digitallyobsessed.com
The movie is a must buy for me.
I had the UK R2 PAL version
with a special 40 page booklet.
Sold the disc used and keep the booklet.
The UK R2 DVD does not have the US extra about the makeup,
the UK disc also had several chapter stops vs. the US
one chapter stop for the whole movie.
The UK disc also has an average picture quality.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I love this film so much that I probably would have been buying it regardless of negative reviews. Your positive remarks have made my day. Thanks, Mark!!!

MatS

Screenwriter
one of my most wanted dvds. Pre-ordered mine online since I don't think there will be a great chance of easily finding this at brick and mortar.

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
I had no trouble getting mine at a Best Buy. It was $22.99 and on the shelf two days before street. Circuit City lists it for $24.99

It's a wonderful transfer, which looks more like 2 years old than 20. The soundtrack has good fidelity to boot.

The features are nice. The 30 min. featurette is a bunch of talking heads for the most part, but their comments are very interesting. The other short supplements are informative, and include a shot of a plaster cast of the original Elephant Man's skull. Very creepy and fascinating.

If you like this movie, I think you will certainly like the DVD.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I want The Elephant Man!

speaking of elephants, has anyone ever seen the pictures of the guy with elephantitus of the testicals? Talk about carrying around your own chair!. Sorry.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
David,
Amusingly enough, it DOES come with an insert--it just doesn't have any chapter listings on it! It does have a nice repro of the "Terrible Elephant Man" graphic from the freak show, though. :)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
David Lynch's The Straight Story also has no chapter stops. He explains why in the DVD's insert:

I know that most DVDs have chapter stops. It is my opinion that a film is not like a book--it should not be broken up. It is a continuum and should be seen as such. Thank you for your understanding. -David Lynch

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just got the disc today. Skipped through a few scenes to judge the quality - looks extremely good!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks