What's new

The Elephant Man: Excellent transfer! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just got my copy of The Elephant Man...
Since the only TV/Video transfer made before the DVD's is P&S, I decided to NOT see the movie until I saw it in OAR.
Paramount really did a fantastic job on the disc. The image is flawless, with just a few instances of lines...but they add character to the picture. The audio is actually impressive with usually perfect clarity and mixing. The extras are nice (although, I would have liked a music-only track) and don't overpower the film such as these "overload informational" featurettes.
I also love the movie now. It's really amazing how David Lynch was able to make such a sensitive movie out of subject matter like the life of John Merrick.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Anyone else impressed as much as I am?

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Yes, I'm very pleased with it too--it finally recaptures the way I experienced it when the film was first released.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
It's definitely a gorgeous anamorphic transfer.

That single tear that falls down Anthony Hopkins's face as he first views John Merrick. Gets me every time. Amazing.

Luc D

Second Unit
It absolutely is a wonderful transfer for one of the most beautifully photographed films of the 80s, IMO. I love this film and so I was thrilled to see how good a job they did with it.

Can you believe Ordinary People won Best Picture over this AND Raging Bull. Sacrilege!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I bought this dvd sight unseen. I had always wanted to see it, but wanted to see it in its' OAR. I was not disappointed. Beautiful transfer. Man, Anthony Hopkins can act!

Peace,

DM

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
To quote John Hurt - Anyone who was not moved by The Elephant Man is someone who I do not wish to know.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Yes, I was impressed too. I cry everytime I watch it (particularly when John has tea with Dr. Treves and his wife).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug2000
Recent bookmarks