What's new

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sam Posten said:
Although, it would be amazing to be able to track down somebody's family and apologize for offing their father/brother/son. "It was unavoidable, he attacked me first...here's where his grave is...I'm so sorry.. he was carrying this sword, etc... " hahaaha!

Oh I'd love that! Track down the family, kill them too, burn down their house...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Radioman970 said:
You need yourself a serial killer simulator!
Ha ha, it's funny though, when I actually play it I'll end up being overly moral. Even in the GTA games I don't go totally batpoop crazy. Well sometimes :P

Anyone have a plan going into the game yet? I'm thinking of doing as much thieves guild and dark brotherhood quests as I can from the start. That way when I get into the main quest doing bad things wont effect it. I left those quests until the end of oblivion, which meant I couldn't keep the sweet knights of the nine armor since you had to be "pure of heart" or whatever. I probably could of kept the armor if I was more stealthy, but I'm more of an action bash them down type of guy

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Review embargo is up, a bunch of perfect scores and nothing less than a 4.5 outta 5 and 9.5s outta ten so far...
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/11/skyrim-review/
http://t.co/Ccq0mGvV
http://t.co/BBQKioKq
http://t.co/h4nyxPuc
http://t.co/0WDjUwse

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Venture Beat lays out some big criticisms and then steps back...
http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/10/review-skyrim-is-far-greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts/

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Sam Posten said:
Awesome awesome. Thanks for posting this. Just what I needed so I can let everyone else go forward with this...while I stand back and continue playing Terreria. :P
"n Skyrim, some characters won’t even acknowledge that you’re standing there hacking away at them with an axe. The man who guides you through the opening scene can have six arrows sticking out of his head without so much as interrupting his exposition to ask that you kindly stop doing that" LOL

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, found out yesterday I've been selected for Star Wars: TOR beta-duty, during this very same Skyrim launch-weekend -- my official BioWare e-vite for our guild is sitting right there in my inbox, cruelly tormenting me.
WHY???
790cabe1_so_so_sad.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
LMAO x2. Sorry guys!
Buuuuut, guess who just agreed to do a family vacation to Maine all weekend. Me. Wraaaaaa! So no Skyrim for me either!!!!!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Dude, Maine's fucking awesome. Am actually seriously considering moving there, down the road (depending upon various career-related things). But we'll be here, playing Skyrim (and SW:TOR). This weekend is Gaming Xmas. :D
I checked the Metacritic score this morning, and it was at a whopping 95, with 31 critic reviews.
Then, I just checked one minute ago (since I'm obsessed), and there were 55 critic reviews. The score went up to 96.
I think we are looking at the Game of the Year.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm at Wal-Mart right now, 53 minutes before release-embargo lifts (picking up some booze for tomorrow's "festivities"). Absolutely no one here in the Electronics Department, and they have the game waiting behind the counter in boxes.
This has gotta be way easy to be real.
I'm almost positive that, 30 seconds before midnight, a clan of meth-heads is gonna come running from the Sporting Goods department and cut everyone.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm at home not buyng it because the asshole store I pre-ordered it from decided to be the only one in town NOT doing a midnight launch.

Not that I'm bitter or anything....

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
With any luck I'll pick it up in the morning. Trying to decide what type of character I want to be for my first play through in terms of gameplay - stealth, magic, or general purpose warrior.
- Walter

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
My Xbox 360 LCE shipped around 3:20 PM this past afternoon -- for some reason, out of Amazon's Indy hub, rather than the Chicago region, but I've had stuff overnighted from there arriving early the very next morning, so it's all good.
I plan on plying the UPS driver with spirits, sweetmeets, and/or shémale Asian hookers tomorrow morning in gratitude.
There shall be a wide buffet set out.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Have been watching some of the live-streaming feeds. First off: god, it's great to see a nice little village with no walls. Second: mill-grinding, Conan-style.
Third: great character interactions -- you can just sit and watch multiple characters talking to start a quest, not just two people talking, like in Oblivion ("Hey, have you heard about Penisbarrow Cave?" "YOU NOW HAVE A QUEST").

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't sleep, so I decided to take a spin by a nearby Best Buy shortly before midnight to see if they were open and ended up purchasing the basic version of Skyrim (Xbox).
Installed the sucker, started up a Redguard and have completed a fairly large dungeon crawl, with some bandits and a bunch of undead Nordic warriors (Draugr.) I would agree (with one review I read earlier today from a link in this thread) that the opening animation that serves as the introduction is a little weak, but once you actually start interacting with the environment the game comes alive.
The game now features a variety of cut scenes representing your character's kills when you subdue a foe that are pretty neatly realized. Kind of torn on the new menu system. It is a little easier to navigate but I haven't found a way to sort items by different indexes in my inventory list. (In Oblivion you could sort items by weight, value, armor value, damage, etc. which was pretty handy when selling off loot.) So far I haven't found an analogue to this in Skyrim, but perhaps I haven't dug deep enough into the menu system.
The forge, table and grinding wheel are kind of neat metaphors for improving your items. Some of the graphics of the dungeons are very striking. And (shudder) there is at least one giant spider in this game (shades of Shelob.)
Time for some sleep, and then back at it in the morning (took Friday off from work.) Liking it so far.
- Walter.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Things that have happened:
  • I caught a butterfly and ate its wings.
  • I forged many but useless (but valuable) pieces of armor and weapons.
  • I met a nice lady who then proceeded to make me her bitch at said forgery.
  • I shot a chicken with an arrow, but it seemed like it was royalty or something in Riverwood...the whole town tried to kill me.
  • I met two black guys, and they were complaining about feeling "unwelcome."
  • I have a companion who -- at the moment -- exists solely to carry all of my loot in her bottomless pockets.
  • I set fire to a mammoth, who took away 99% of my health in retaliation.
  • I set fire to the mammoth again, but this time a giant intervened and beat the living shit out of me.
  • I ignored the mammoth the third time, and went straight for the giant, who had a friend with him this time. Long story short, I ran crying like a little girl-bitch back to the nearest town, thinking people would help me. They didn't -- they ran, too, from the giants, who were still on my ass (apart from a dog, which got destroyed).
  • I stumbled across a cave which, no joke, had literally 15 giant spiders waiting for me in one single room. Bricks were shat.
  • I shot an eagle out of the sky with an arrow -- it was miles away, and it was amazing.
I genuinely considered pulling an all-nighter last night just to keep playing -- this game has blown my mind. My body was not ready.
Also, I have the hardest time getting just one person to talk to me at a time. Dude, I'm talking to the Jarl, here. Cool your fucking jets.
I actually wandered into an encampment at Level 2, where I ended up getting my ass handed to me, so I went back today in all my hairy, dog-smell badassery just to tear their shit up and prove a point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks