What's new

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have a sneaky feeling Dawnguard on the PS3 isn't happening. Colour me disappointed if that ends up being the case. :(

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New Skyrim DLC announced:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/28/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-hearthfire-announced
[video]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXwNVpDmfo[/video]
Bethesda has revealed the next major downloadable content for Skyrim, called Hearthfire. Unlike the vampire-hunting focus of the last add-on, Dawnguard, Hearthfire doesn't seem to do much to enhance combat. Instead, with Hearthfire, you'll be able to purchase a piece of land in Skyrim and build your own house.
Within the custom living space, you'll be able build kitchens, greenhouses, libraries, alchemy labs, and trophy rooms to show off your accomplishments. Outside, it sounds like you'll be able to set up gardens, fish hatcheries, and beehives to make resource collection a little more convenient. You can also hire a steward to help out with household tasks.
Hearthfire will also allow you to adopt children and take care of them while they live at your home. Bethesda has set the price of Hearthfire at 400 Microsoft Points, and plans to release it on September 4 on Xbox Live.
No Skeleton Butler = No Buy.
I kid, of course. Seriously, this is kinda cool, especially for those of us playing on consoles. While it isn't a groundbreaking DLC, I think the pricing is completely fair. As a consolation, maybe PC owners could receive the Dawnguard papyrus script-code files?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
And, Christ, as if I didn't feel enough like this with Skyrim as it was...
8bf3448d_1806748752LL.jpeg

Apparently, according to Bethesda, you can build up to three different homes using this utility, and there's gonna be a shit-ton more new item-/material-crafting added to the main game:
With Skyrim's newest game add-on, Hearthfire, you can purchase land and build your own home from the ground up – from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, stable, garden, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to transform quarried stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.
• Choose Your Land - Choose from property in the salt marshes of Hjaalmarch, the forests of Falkreath, or the vast tundra of The Pale. For the more ambitious landowner, purchase multiple plots and start building a real estate empire.
• Customize Your Home – Expand your home with a variety of room combinations, including an armory, alchemy tower, kitchen, trophy room and more. Grow plants in your new greenhouse, cultivate slaughterfish in the fish hatchery, house your Arcane Enchanter in the enchanting tower, or display your latest conquest in the trophy room. Add additional features like stables, mills, smelters, gardens, and more.
• New Objectives and Interactions – Guard your home from unwanted visitors like marauding kidnappers, armed bandits, and Skeever infestations. Turn almost any follower into your personal steward to improve and protect your home. Or if you require more help, hire a personal bard or carriage driver to ease the burdens of home-ownership.
• Adoption – Transform your house into a home with Hearthfire's all-new adoption system. Adopt children, and discover new ways to interact with your family. Play games with the kids, allow them to have pets, and gain new bonuses from having a family.
Falkreath would be a cool spot for a new stronghold, but how awesome would it be to rebuild Helgen? Judging by some of the disgruntled bitching over on the official Bethesda boards, you'd think they just raped an orphanage full of puppies, or something.
I WANT THIS NOW
I AM THROWING MY MONEY AT THE SCREEN NOTHING IS HAPPENING
TAKE IT, TAKE ALL OF IT
WHY WASN'T THIS IN SKYRIM???
They're only doing what was asked when the GameJam video released. You can't really be mad that they are doing exactly what they said, FINALLY? I mean, didn't Todd say some of the GameJam concepts would be released for free, some in patches, others in DLC?
I'm sorry, but I CANNOT BE MAD that, for freaking once, Bethesda Game Studios is doing exactly what they said they were going to do. Hah. All of the old speculation-threads about Hearthfire being this enormous DLC that will revamp the magic system seem so hilarious now.
Ah, well. Still looking forward to building Chez La Dovahkiin.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
• Choose Your Land - Choose from property in the salt marshes of Hjaalmarch
Code:
Listen, lad.  I've built this kingdom up from nothing.  When
      I started here, all there was was swamp.  All the kings said I was
      daft to build a castle in a swamp, but I built it all the same,
      just to show 'em.  It sank into the swamp.  So, I built a second one.
      That sank into the swamp.  So I built a third one.  That burned down,
      fell over, then sank into the swamp.  But the fourth one stayed up.
      An' that's what your gonna get, lad -- the strongest castle in these
      islands.

• Adoption – Transform your house into a home with Hearthfire's all-new adoption system. Adopt children, and discover new ways to interact with your family.

Code:
One day, lad, all this will be yours!  
What, the curtains?
No, not the curtains, lad.  All that you can see!  Stretched
      out over the hills and valleys of this land!  This'll be your kingdom,
      lad!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I wanted more Skyrim, but Sep. 4? Isn't that a bit too soon? They aren't wasting any time with the DLC, but I purposely put Dawnguard on the back burner to savor it more(fearing the next DLC would be next year at the earliest). Oh well, time to man up and dive in again. This new one looks pretty freaking fantastic.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've played every Elder Scrolls game since Arena. If this is the case with PS3 DLC for Skyrim then they can go fuck themselves. I'll never buy another Bethesda product. It's a shame since Skyrim is an amazing game, even the buggy PS3 version. That knowingly released a bugged game, can't get it fixed and are now ready to bail completely? Fuck 'em.

Yeah, I suspected this was going to be the case, it still pisses me off to no end.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It's not that developers have gotten lazy (including Bethesda's people) -- it's simply that other games aren't nearly as RAM-intensive as The Elder Scrolls/Fallout games are.
Having a huge, open world with thousands of little items that stay exactly wherever they're placed is seriously taxing on system memory, which, due to the way it's partitioned, is probably the PS3's biggest flaw. In other words, the PS3 can't handle Skyrim the way other platforms can, but Bethesda's honestly been taking their time to try to make it work anyway.
It's why so few developers even attempt open-world games any more, and why the few titles actually on the market (like this one) are the focus of such scrutiny when they do come out. This one is not 100% entirely on Bethesda's head, to be sure.
(Additionally, the PS3 memory-divide has also been stated as the reason for input lag and no cross-game chat, among other things. Hopefully, Sony won't make the same mistake with the PS4.)
A while back, a former Ubisoft employee pretty much summed it up the best I've ever heard:
Developing for the Xbox 360 was like working on a Muscle car. It's not a super-sexy Italian sports car, but it's well-designed, and does what it does well.
Developing for the PS3 was like working on a Ferrari with the exhaust-system of a Honda Civic. Sure, you have a ton of horsepower, but try eking it out with that exhaust. It chokes. He was extremely critical about the amount of usable RAM the PS3 has.
(For what it's worth, Russell...this news absolutely sucks, and I feel your pain. Hopefully they'll get things worked out, here.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
I've played every Elder Scrolls game since Arena. If this is the case with PS3 DLC for Skyrim then they can go fuck themselves. I'll never buy another Bethesda product. It's a shame since Skyrim is an amazing game, even the buggy PS3 version. That knowingly released a bugged game, can't get it fixed and are now ready to bail completely? Fuck 'em.
Yeah, I suspected this was going to be the case, it still pisses me off to no end. :f
That sucks. I buy games pretty much exclusivly on the 360 just because all my friends have a 360 so for the multiplayer aspect it makes sense. But for Skyrim, I was strongly considering getting it for the PS3. I just can't understand why Bethesda can't get this worked out. It is so fucked, but I wouldn't write them off just yet. I can't imagine all the millions who own Skyrim for the PS3 will be left out in the cold.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /t/306737/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/270#post_3969646
That sucks. I buy games pretty much exclusivly on the 360 just because all my friends have a 360 so for the multiplayer aspect it makes sense. But for Skyrim, I was strongly considering getting it for the PS3. I just can't understand why Bethesda can't get this worked out. It is so fucked, but I wouldn't write them off just yet. I can't imagine all the millions who own Skyrim for the PS3 will be left out in the cold.

It wouldn't be unheard of. Harmonix did exactly that with Rockband 3. There's a terrible bug in that one that boots you out of the game completely, basically making online play pretty much impossible. After a year of "we're looking into it.", they finally just said "we can't figure it out, it's not getting fixed."

This is much worse than Skyrim, since consumers have spent potentially thousands of dollars on DLC songs, and plastic instruments to support the game.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Skyrim DLC 'Dragonborn' to Feature Mounted Dragons, Morrowind Armour, Solstheim":
http://www.oxm.co.uk/46679/skyrim-dlc-dragonborn-to-feature-mounted-dragons-morrowind-armour-solstheim/
We're all about updates on OXM today, apparently. You've probably tasted the chunky goodness of Minecraft Xbox 360 update 1.8.2 by now, and you may have sampled the sleek wonderment of the new Xbox 360 dashboard, too. Now, ready your bodies for the ultimate trial (cue music), the final assault on the verdant expanses of your recreational hours -- Skyrim's "Dragonborn" DLC.
The usual enterprising Skyrim PC players have uncovered the usual array of telltale filenames ("DLC2", "Dragonborn") in Skyrim's most recent update, hinting at a DLC pack which allows players to mount dragons. Just imagine -- 300 tonnes of rampaging, ice-breathing salamander between your thighs. Might want to wear two pairs of underpants.
As if that wasn't enough, there's also evidence that Dragonborn will take us back to Morrowind, setting for The Elder Scrolls III, and the former home of the Dunmer. There were whisperings to this effect last year -- Lake Solstheim and Vvardenfell are modelled just off the existing Skyrim world map.
Quest markers for Solstheim, Telvanni, Castle Karstaag, Raven Rock and Miraak Temple have been discovered, alongside entries for what appear to be four new armour varieties -- Bonemold, Chitin, Nordic, and Stalhrim. Finally, there are files for the aforesaid dragon-riding animations. Looks like you'll be casting spells from dragon-back, too. Squee.
Bethesda parent Zenimax trademarked "Dragonborn" for use in reference to downloadable games software earlier this year. Where there's smoke, there's dragonfire.
"Squee," indeed.
Back to Morrowind? Hell yeah. Bethesda has hinted that there's likely going to be at least one major, huge, "Shivering Isles"-sized expansion still on the way, and it looks like this is it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sold. I also have 1-2 beta keys for Dragon's Prophet, send PMs if interested.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120233-Sony-Online-Bringing-Dragon-Filled-MMO-to-North-America

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I'll definitely be getting "Dragonborn." It sounds like a big expansion pack, and hopefully I won't have to play it as some sort of monster. I've been playing too much Torchlight 2 to continue questing in Skyrim, but I need to get back to it...
That's right, I 'm AGES behind the rest of you! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks