What's new

Blu-ray Review The Egyptian Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ha. Exactly. I seriously lucked out by hearing that it was still available from the Disney Movie Club and quickly joined just in time to grab one. That experience constituted MY lesson learned, for sure.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have to say anyone who love's this movie and movie soundtracks must get the 2 cd Egyptian soundtrack. The cd is sold out every where except at Screen Archives. I received mine yesterday. The restoration of this sound track is beyond words. I was told those who had put the CD out had a major response to it.
I spoke with them myself and it was true. I can see why. You have two of the greats Newman and Herrmann working together. I do not think this has ever happened in past or the future.
The next movie I want to see in BD is Tender is the Night.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Yes, and you not only have those great tracks on CD, but they're also on the isolated score of this phenomenal Blu-ray disc.
There have been a lot of explanations about why some won't buy the disc, mostly in the vein of "if I were a fan" or "this would be a blind buy". How may folks buy titles of which they aren't fond? Do they usually blind-buy a lot of stuff? If so, I've gotta tell you that you won't find this quality and beauty in $15 BD titles anywhere. I've yet to read one comment from anyone who bought it who didn't find it absolutely worth every penny.
This is a first-time opportunity for this title: Fox had it prepared and had no plans on releasing it. I understand the licensing was costly (Fox trying to get back money spent on the restoration) and Twilight Time took a risk issuing it to see if the film's fans would support it.
Last I heard the fans HAVE supported it with BD sales 2-1 over the Standard DVD sales. Time will tell whether Twilight Time will break even, but I understand another BD is in the works.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Virgoan
I've gotta tell you that you won't find this quality and beauty in $15 BD titles anywhere. I've yet to read one comment from anyone who bought it who didn't find it absolutely worth every penny.
So says you. Look, as I said earlier, if this is worth it for you and you are happy with it then I'm thrilled for you and am very pleased that you're a happy fan. But please don't tell me this is the best $40 blu-ray ever and please don't tell me that there aren't beautifully high-quality $15 blu-rays out there because that simply isn't true. Its clearly worth it for some and not worth the artificially inflated price for others, but let's not make it an us vs them thing, okay?

Real Name
Anthony
I'd just about blind-buy for the straight $40 but here in the Uk we'll have to pay an extra $20 for import duties. $60 is just too steep for a film I'm not sure I'll love. :(

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Anthony Neilson
$60 is just too steep for a film I'm not sure I'll love.

Especially for a film devoid of significant extras or even a chapter menu in the year 2011!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Virgoan said:
Time will tell whether Twilight Time will break even, but I understand another BD is in the works.
Any idea which movie? (I want April Love in the same quality as The Egyptian!)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Virgoan said:
This is a first-time opportunity for this title: Fox had it prepared and had no plans on releasing it. I understand the licensing was costly (Fox trying to get back money spent on the restoration)
That is what I don't understand. If Fox spent money on preparing the film in HD why didn't they release it themselves? Is it the cost of maufacturing discs and marketing them which is uneconomic? I assume TV sales are more profitable because THE EGYPTIAN and numerous other Fox films have been shown on TV in HD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas R
That is what I don't understand. If Fox spent money on preparing the film in HD why didn't they release it themselves? Is it the cost of maufacturing discs and marketing them which is uneconomic? I assume TV sales are more profitable because THE EGYPTIAN and numerous other Fox films have been shown on TV in HD.
Fox basically gutted their home entertainment division and made a policy of not releasing DVD catalog titles. Fox did a great job in the big days of DVD. They had great collections, Tyrone Power, Betty Grable, Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto, Carmen Miranda just to name a few. They added extras and included booklets. The only problem was that they were the most expensive of all the companies and many people did not think the extras added were worth the cost. Fox's Film Noir Series was one of the best and the John Ford at Fox Collection was something to behold and enjoyed. I guess today we should wish for a MOD program for the rest of the Grable and Faye films.

As far as Blu-ray goes, Fox is playing it safe by doing only the bigger selling titles and are careful of what they do. I believe that they were skeptical of the sales for The Egyptian and I wonder how the sales are. Since only 3000 were produced and there are still copies available, it might not have been the seller a lot of people imagined it would.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
933 copies left. Last I checked, which was earlier in the week, the total was 967. At this point it looks like they are averaging about 10 per day- so supplies should be exhausted by 12/31- assuming the rate continues to slow a little over that time.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
933 copies left. Last I checked, which was earlier in the week, the total was 967. At this point it looks like they are averaging about 10 per day- so supplies should be exhausted by 12/31- assuming the rate continues to slow a little over that time.
That's less than I thought it was, but more than I had originally hoped. With the higher price tag, sales my escalate closer to the Holiday Seson. At least I know where one went.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ahollis said:
That's less than I thought it was, but more than I had originally hoped.  With the higher price tag, sales my escalate closer to the Holiday Seson.  At least I know where one went. 

According to another forum, that counter indicates how many they have in stock, but not all of the 3000 have yet been shipped and allocated to that stock.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think it will be a while selling out, no rush to buy (but as I stated, I'm glad I bought it). I'm wondering what happends next. The Egyptian is a real cult movie, all the more so as the DVD has never been released in the US before, but then what? Another 50's title will really struggle at that price, esp. if it's not so well known, & I would imagine they have to sell so many to make it worth their while. Maybe a title that's had a DVD release like Journey To The Centre Of The Earth.
Thinking of Cinemascope films that haven't been released in the US:
The Rains Of Ranchipur
The Left Hand Of God
Beneath The 12-Mile reef
Prince Of Players ect. I think they'd all struggle at $40

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I really hope that they sell out soon and continue releasing these limited blu-rays of classic films. I've had lousy dinners out for way more than $39.95. Having seen the film about three times since purchasing, I would consider it a real deal. It looks and sounds terrific. They would probably have much luck with a blu-ray release of, say, "Demetrius and the Gladiators". It would certainly work with their soundtrack tie-in, having a lovely Franz Waxman score. It's a wide screen extravaganza, action packed and fast paced, a bit dated to many but dear to the hearts of many, too. After all, it is the sequel to "the Robe", so fans of that movie would want it in their collection, too. Concerning the list mentioned by Alan above, I would think that "Beneath the 12-Mile Reef" would fare the best. It never has had a decent release, the underwater photography is stunning and it has that legendary Herrmann score going for it. As for score tie-ins, I would also vote for "Sodom and Gomorrah" as much as it is often ridiculed. Still, it has tremendous camp appeal, a great suggestive title and that outstanding Rozsa music. It has never had an official release and that cut-away dress on Rossana Podesta alone is worth the $39.95.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I add my voice to all of yours. I hope as Ed that they sell out. I am going to be pre order My Cousin Rachel. I wish we could get a BD from Fox of the 1940's movie Laura. I count that movie in my top ten. I watched it last night. I too have watched the Egytian several time's and listened to CD as well. King of the Kyber Rifles is another that you can add to the list Alan made and of course Demetrius and the Gladiators.
I have bought the recent DVD for the movie. The new copy does look better then the orginal Fox put out.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ed Lachmann said:
I really hope that they sell out soon and continue releasing these limited blu-rays of classic films. I've had lousy dinners out for way more than $39.95. Having seen the film about three times since purchasing, I would consider it a real deal.
Agreed. It works out about £8 more than a bottle of Jack Daniels in the UK (JD is expensive over here, shame as it's my favorite tipple). I was looking through the excellent book, 2000 Movies Of The 1950's by Robin Cross. You get a still & brief plot description of each film (mostly American). It was disheartening to see the tiny amount of movies released on BD so far. Any of the titles mentioned so far, I think I'm up for.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Virgoan said:
This Blu-ray disc is available only through Screen Archives Entertainment....www.sae.com
Doesn't through for me, anyone have a direct link?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Never mind, found it. The site is not sae.com
http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/15576/THE-EGYPTIAN-1954-BLU-RAY/
Thanks John, I did find it with google.
I don't see a counter telling how many are left.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Will Krupp said:
So says you.  Look, as I said earlier, if this is worth it for you and you are happy with it then I'm thrilled for you and am very pleased that you're a happy fan.  But please don't tell me this is the best $40 blu-ray ever and please don't tell me that there aren't beautifully high-quality $15 blu-rays out there because that simply isn't true. Its clearly worth it for some and not worth the artificially inflated price for others, but let's not make it an us vs them thing, okay?
Gosh! I don't believe I told you, or anyone else, that this was the best $40 Blu ray ever. While it's the best value for my money I've gotten since "The Robe", I can only speak for myself, and that's what I was doing.No, I'll leave the you vs. them to you. You are making a great attempt.So, YES, says I. I don't need more extras than an isolated score, a commentary and a theatrical trailer. The MOVE is the thing...the movie looking better than almost everything else I've seen out there since "The Robe" and "How the West Was Wone" were issued on BD.My recommendation, clearly, was for those who love the film . The film's the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks