What's new

The Edge, Goodwill Hunting & White Squall (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
The Edge, Goodwill Hunting & White Squall were released in the early years of DVD and unfortunately were formatted letterbox 4 x 3. Rather than re-package DVD's already released 16 x 9 these three movies should be remastered in anamorphic widescreen DVD and BlueRay HD.

I checked the Australian DVD sites and all three were released in anamorphic widescreen 16 x 9 for region 4.

Unfortunately, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many more, The Abyss, True Lies and 2010 to name a few. The studios need to do a blitz and re-issue the letterbox 4 x 3 DVD's in anamorphic widescreen 16 x 9 and BlueRay and stop giving us another version of Lawrence of Arabia that movie wise is not different that the one we own.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The first three you mention are definitely worth a double dip. Especially Good Will Hunting since it is such an acclaimed film.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
So true, I own at least 50 DVDs that are 4:3 LB.

I wish everything would get updated.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I am also waiting for true Region 1 16x9 of TRUE LIES, ARMAGEDDON, AMERICAN PRESIDENT, KUNDUN, DAYS OF THUNDER.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven

I own a Miramax Collector's Series DVD of Good Will Hunting that has the back cover listing a 16X9 transfer. If I remember correctly, this silently appeared on the market, replacing the first non-anamorphic release. I'm looking at the back cover now. UPC is 717951000552, but they may be using the same UPC as the first 4X3 letterbox disc had, so that may not help you. But they're out there, and I picked this one up used cheap. Then I sold off my 4X3 version...

As for the other titles you mentioned, yes 16X9 versions are long overdue!

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Unfortunately the Good Will Hunting Collector's Series release was mislabeled and still has a 4x3 Letterboxed transfer. I was one of the suckers who "upgraded" based on this packaging error.

I also think they have since corrected the packaging. Guess it was too much to hope they would correct the disc instead. :)

Patrick

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yep there has been a ton of discussion on Good will.
there has been at least 3 probably 4 releases of that all non enhanced.

there was a cnandian release from Alliance that was enhanced but
was said to be a faux 16x9 release.
i'll see if i can find the topic.

well i can only go back 500 topics in a search for some reason, so the many topics created on good will hunting may be gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks