What's new

Blu-ray Review The Eddy Duchin Story Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Replaced the DVDs. If TT had not started discounting I would have bought it on the day of release!
Ah yes, I remember posting here at HTF when Twilight Time had their first sale that I thought they were making a mistake because people would now hold off buying until the prices dropped.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally got around to watching this tonight. It's a major improvement from the DVD, and, yes, it's clearly stereo on my system. Color saturation was just about as rich as I can remember in a film of this period.

Yes, it was all the typical melodrama of a biopic of the studio era with bad luck being foreshadowed so forcefully as to practically knock you back in your seat. But the actors do wonderfully well. (Stalwart screen extra Bess Flowers is VERY prominent during the first half hour or so. I kept noticing her every time Eddy played.) I thought Tyrone Power's piano fingering varied from really excellent to woefully inadequate depending on the piece. I'll read Julie Kirgo's essay later on tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks