What's new

The EASY guide to using scaling DVI with the Infocus SP4805 (1 Viewer)

Adam Smith

Agent
So I could just be slow in the head, but it took a bit of effort to get my HTPC to output 720p over DVI. I'm hoping to clear any confusion there might be about whether or not it's possible (it most definitely is). Sorry about the image width.

Prerequisites:
1. NVIDIA or ATI card with DVI out
2. M1-DVI cable (I have the 10m)
3. The latest (or at least close) video drivers

When properly set up, the computer will detect your display device as an Infocus SP4805-D (and not Plug N Play Monitor or any of that business). It should do this as soon as you get everything physically connected and powered on. Then, you'll need to enable one of two settings, depending on who makes your video card. They're both somewhat hidden and hard to find unless you know what you're looking for.

1. Right click an empty area of your desktop and click "Properties".
2. Click the "Settings" tab.
3. Click "Advanced".

NVIDIA cards:
4. Click the tab with the NVIDIA icon and the name of your video card.
5. Click "nView Display Settings".
6. Right click the picture of the monitor.
7. Click "Treat Digital Display as HDTV".
8. Under "Select TV format" directly under, select the resolution you wish to run (I run 720p).

ATI cards:
4. Click the "Displays" tab with the ATi icon.
5. Click the heading that says "FPD".
6. Select "Force 720p mode".
Note: You may have to fiddle with changing the resolution beforehand for this to work. The resolution should change as soon as you click OK to everything. I don't know why it doesn't work once in a while.. probably yet another bug in ATI's drivers.

I hope this helps somebody.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Very cool documentation.What are the advantages of forcing 720p with a 4805? All I've read states that pixel-mapping 480p is the best pic to be had with that model.

Adam Smith

Agent
If the projector is used as more than just a movie player.. i.e. if you're browsing the web, 480p is very difficult to do that in. Mine's used for movies during the week and as a music interface/web browser on weekends so this increases its versatility a little.. for people who can't afford $3000 for the 7205 :]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ahh...gotcha. Again, nice job...even I might be able to get it right with those instructions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks