What's new

The Eagles new CD due October 07 (1 Viewer)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I was so thrilled to hear a new Eagles song called "Hold On". It sounds GREAT! Very impressed.

It took them about 14 years from "The Long Run" to "Hell Freezes Over" and now about another 14 till this new record ("The Long Road Out of Eden"). Rumor is it has 12 -15 new songs.

Anyone else heard any of the songs? Thoughts? Here is one story w/ more details:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003627098

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I will NEVER understand their choice to only distribute this new CD through Wal-Mart/Sam's Club. No Target/Best Buy/B&N/Amazon! WHAT were they thinking???

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Let's be serious here...The Eagles haven't had a new full-length CD in AGES, yet their catalog sells really well and the reunion shows are always sold out. There is a HUGE market for this title. And EVERY retailer would promote the title and give it prominant (sp?) shelf space. How many people that NEVER shop at Wal-Mart are going to miss out on this title? According to Billboard, it is also ineligible to be icluded in the "Top 200" best sellers chart. And before you think that no one would really care, look at the press that the Kanye West/50 Cent "showdown" received...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wal Mart is the biggest retailer in the world and since it's exclusive to them, it will be on endcaps in their CD section and on in-store promos until Christmas. There's no way that any other retailer is going to give them that much exposure for that long.

The Eagles and their record company didn't sit down and say "How can we make less money off this thing?". They either got paid by Wal Mart to go exclusively with them or they're betting that the extra exposure they're getting in the store will result in better sales. Just going exclusively with Wal Mart has people talking about the album (even if it's negative).

There's absolutely no comparison between the two situations. 50 Cent and Kanye West manufactured that just to sell more records and no one is going to fall for the same silly marketing gimmick two times in two months.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I think they will sell boatloads of CDs either through Wal-Mart or had they gone the traditional route.

I'm not a fan of exclusives, but in this case, Wal-Mart will heavily promote this & sell the heck out of it. It's a 2-disc set w/ about 20 songs & Wal-Mart is selling it for about $10 or $11. Wow!!

It's also a temporary deal and only for the US. Universal is involved in promoting worldwide. The record will likely make the Eagles rich all over again.

Back to the music, the first single is doing well & is a very good selection to represent their talents. Their harmonies are still perfect.

It's also fun to hear bands w/ this many personalities capable of taking the spotlight (4 lead singers). It makes for interesting records. Not many others have done that. Beatles and Fleetwood Mac come to mind. I know there are probably a few others.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i see what the theory is behind the deal, but isnt it unnecessary and over kill.

the eagles make great music but they were one of the earliest rock bands to start charging ridiculous prices for concert tickets and now an exclusive deal with walmart that must have happened due to walmart and a blank check.
surely it can't be because they love to shop there.

i won't pay to see them and won't pay to hear this cd.

no reason why this couldnt have had an exclusive set and still have the regular cd available at other places.

didnt the eagles have an exclusive greatest hits cd that had a few songs only available at walmart a few years ago?

i know it sounds like i'm saying how much money is enough, and i guess that is what i'm saying.
and i know one can never have enough money and most people will take what ever they can get,
but when does it become a joke and what about,
oh what is the word,... i can't think of it, ..not respect but...
self esteem?
dignity?

oh well i guess it doesn't matter anymore.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
TonyD: Billboard.com recently had excepts from an interview with one of the members (Glenn Frey or Don Felder, can't recall which one right now) and he was questioned about the deal with Wal-Mart. He told about how his father's small business (a hardware store, IIRC) went under after the big box retailers moved into town. Seems kinda hypocritical, IMHO.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I gave the CD a couple spins and I have to say that it really isn't very good. I don't know how the CD is getting decent reviews.

There are only a couple songs that are any decent, most are simply mediocre and there are a couple that are just plain bad. The Eagles were never known for amazing lyrics, but the lyrics on this didn't sound like it came from an experience band - sounded rather amateurish for the most part.

I did like the harmonies however, the Eagles can still pull that off.

Overall, this would be better if it were only on 1 disc... with 20 songs, there's a lot of filler.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I knew the CD was coming, but I didn't know it was out. At least now I know why...because I don't shop at WalMart. My reasons for that are not worth getting into here, but I won't shop there, ever.

The Eagles can count me out and consider me a lost fan because I won't be buying this CD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you might have something with lack of respect and this coming down to simple greed.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I won't get into the whole exclusive debate, but its nothing new. The Rolling Stones and Tom Petty both have exclusives with Best Buy, Paul McCartney and others with Starbucks, tons of exclusives with iTunes and the list goes on and on. Its a product of the evolving music landscape.

There's some misinformation however.

You don't have to buy this at Wal-Mart if you don't want to. You can order directly from the band's web site and you can order it on Amazon.com.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I think the Amazon sales are third parties, not Amazon.com itself. Still, the point is well taken that you can buy this directly from the band's website for the same $11.88 price as at Wal-Mart (+shipping), here:

http://eagles.shop.musictoday.com/De...x?cp=458_12497

My wife shops for groceries at Sam's Club and Wal-Mart nearly every week, so she picked it up at Sam's today for $11.44 (+tax).

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

True enough. Don't get me wrong here..I'm not losing sleep over this or having a tantrum. This is just for conversation sake.

This simply is not something I believe should be done. Customers should be able to buy the CD from their preferred retailer, and I don't care for the idea of a rock group dictating where I shop.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
So other than the debate issue anyone listened to this yet? Any reviews? Odd that they have debuted a song on the country venues, they getting on the wagon with the "pop country" (aks POP music) thing...?

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
The Eagles have always been a crossover group between rock and country. Most of their albums could have been described as having many elements of country, including the harmonies and sometimes the use of the fiddle and steel guitar, not to mention the use of the acoustical guitar on most of their early songs.

Hotel California is the one album that was probably the least "country" and most "rock" of all the albums.

I have the CD on my Christmas wish list and will wait until then to buy and listen.

Mike

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
After one listen, I think it is quite good. I enjoyed the second disc better, it is a bit more rock & roll than the first disc. It reminds me of mid-period albums like One Of These Nights. I do have to say disc 2 ends with a very weak song. I think the title track would have been a better way to close out the album.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

I think it is quite good. Their styles do range all over the place on this one though. Some country, some rock, some ballads, even some funk and a Steely Dan type song.

The harmony & singing is VERY strong and quite impressive.

There are several really strong tracks: Waiting in the Weeds, How Long, Long Road Out of Eden, Somebody & several others. There are also a couple that aren't quite lively enough. Perhaps it could have used a few less songs (12 vs. 20), but the diversity may work in its favor as most Eagles fans will certainly find several songs they really enjoy.

The Eagles were a highly successful singles band w/ soaring harmonies & loved by millions. They are arguably one of the most important, successful and respected American rock bands. There isn't another Hotel California on here, (though the title track comes close), but the CD is certainly something they can be proud of.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
This release is a very pleasant surprise. Vocally the band is as good as ever, and some of the songs, particularly the title track, are as good as anything they've ever done. I think much of it is filler, but when its good, it is very, very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks