What's new

"The Eagle Has Landed" and "The Heroes of The Telemark" Special Editions (1 Viewer)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Anyone seen "The Eagle Has Landed SE" or "The Heroes of The Telemark SE", both UK R2?
I wonder about the picture and sound quality.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Anyone seen "The Eagle Has Landed SE" or "The Heroes of The Telemark SE", both UK R2?
I wonder about the picture and sound quality.

Real Name
Anthony
Surprisingly for Carlton, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED boasts an absolutely superb transfer, fully restored - including the fifteen minutes that have been added back in - and excellent sound. The original theatrical cut is also included (fully restored), there are some nice extras and an informative booklet. PLAY are selling it for £9.99.

I can't say it's my favourite movie of all time but fans should NOT be without this edition - it's almost of Warner Brothers standard. Honest. :)

Real Name
Anthony
Surprisingly for Carlton, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED boasts an absolutely superb transfer, fully restored - including the fifteen minutes that have been added back in - and excellent sound. The original theatrical cut is also included (fully restored), there are some nice extras and an informative booklet. PLAY are selling it for £9.99.

I can't say it's my favourite movie of all time but fans should NOT be without this edition - it's almost of Warner Brothers standard. Honest. :)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Thanks Anthony! What about the sound quality of the different cuts?
Play indicates mono 1.0 for the extended cut.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Thanks Anthony! What about the sound quality of the different cuts?
Play indicates mono 1.0 for the extended cut.

Real Name
Anthony
I haven't actually watched the extended cut yet but on a cursory listen - despite the box stating mono - it sounds like a stereo mix to me ; and my readout is saying that it's two channels. Whatever, it sounds good - very clear.

The 5.1 track on the theatrical cut, as I said, is excellent.

Real Name
Anthony
I haven't actually watched the extended cut yet but on a cursory listen - despite the box stating mono - it sounds like a stereo mix to me ; and my readout is saying that it's two channels. Whatever, it sounds good - very clear.

The 5.1 track on the theatrical cut, as I said, is excellent.

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
It is a stereo mix on the extended cut of The Eagle Has Landed.
And like Anthony Neilson said this is excellent stuff.
They(Carlton) have done a good job here.
If you like this flick:Highly Recommended

Cheers
Maggi

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
It is a stereo mix on the extended cut of The Eagle Has Landed.
And like Anthony Neilson said this is excellent stuff.
They(Carlton) have done a good job here.
If you like this flick:Highly Recommended

Cheers
Maggi

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Back again... anyone who knows anything about the SE of
The Heroes of The Telemark? I just watched a substandard
Nordic R2 version of it: letteboxed,wobbling,scratches
and vertical lines etc...
I have seen some sites that lists the SE picture as anamorphic,
can anyone confirm that it is anamorphic and not just letterbox?
I wonder if Carlton put the same effort into Telemark as
they did with Eagle Has Landed...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

No, not quite, but it is anamorphic and in OAR. The transfer is a little washed out, but it's relatively free of any obtrusive marks. There's also little mention, anywhere, even on the cover itself of the wealth of contemporary featurettes and interviews on the disc. Decent, if not stellar, presentation and well worth a buy.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Carlton R2 SE of John Sturges', The Eagle Has Landed is easily the best transfer they have ever created. Hi-def sourced, with digital clean-up, accurate colour-correction, etc. I hope that this is now their new working practice and that we see similar releases soon.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Carlton - now called Granada Ventures - seem to have changed strategy slightly. Granada's initial contributions seem to be box sets celebrating 70 Years of Rank Films and Powell and Pressburger. They have been busy restoring their back catalogue movies however, but, rather than retaining sole rights, now seem to be licensing them out to the likes of DD Video and Network - look out, for instance, for the latter's newly minted Black Narcissus with - it seems - all the extras of the R1 Criterion and more. I'm also slightly excited about Network's Arsenal Stadium Mystery and the Bulldog Drummond double.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I havw heard about the new Black Narcissus DVD. I have the Criterion, which is a beauty, but I will probably get this new edition, as I love Powell & Pressburger. Speaking of which, Criterion have finally on track to releasing The Tales of Hoffmann in the coming months! It was in their newsletter, Go HERE to sign up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks