Real Name
Denny
From Home Media Magazine numbers

2013 DVD $5.2B (-13% YTY) BD 2.3B (+5%)
2014 DVD $4.6B (-11%) BD 2.1B (-8%)
2015 DVD $3.96 (-15%) BD 2.0B (-5%)
2016 DVD $3.4B (-14%) BD 2.0B (-0.5%)
2017 DVD $2.8B (-17%) BD 1.9B (-7%)

Q1 2018 DVD $612.1M (-19%) BD $476.8M ( +5.2% YTY)
DVD still with +22% sales

Historical first after 3 out of 4 weeks of HighDefDiscs outselling SD. In 2017 that only happened 3 times total and in 2016 only once.
March 2018 DVD $229.5M BD/UHD $239.8M

Unit sales of DVD still far outsell BD/UHD given the average unit price for HD is about double an SD unit.

Let's not forget the average price of DVDs has dropped so that would reflect in revenue of DVDs sales.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Everything will be Digital.
Small point perhaps but DVD is already "Digital."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

Aside from that, I fear you may be correct. Sadly, markets are controlled by numbers and there will always be more people [read customers] who will accept whatever method a film is delivered to them [and know no better than to consider it pristine and ideal] than there will be people [customers] who demand to own the movie they paid for outright, without a digital overlord that can decide [for whatever reason] to rescind or modify their ownership rights. It's a brave new world but I liked the old one better.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For the average person, streaming makes more sense anyway. With the exception of titles for kids, they don't buy films, period. They watch something once and that's it. It was the same in DVD's heyday, but streaming saves them the trip to Blocklbuster.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For the average person, streaming makes more sense anyway. With the exception of titles for kids, they don't buy films, period. They watch something once and that's it. It was the same in DVD's heyday, but streaming saves them the trip to Blocklbuster.
yes. That's the problem pretty much across the board. Too many "average" people.

YANG

Screenwriter
DVD retailers which i visited regularly are clearing catalogued DVD stocks and rack space for BDs, while adding little volume a DVDs per new titles for sale in recent 2yrs...

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am really weary of buying formats which are supposed to be the last word in clarity and as close to sorce as will ever be possibe, only to find it was all a lie, and it is supplanted by something else.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I am really weary of buying formats which are supposed to be the last word in clarity and as close to sorce as will ever be possibe, only to find it was all a lie, and it is supplanted by something else.

Are you old enough to have seen the transition from 78rpm discs to vinyl records first hand ?

:)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Are you old enough to have seen the transition from 78rpm discs to vinyl records first hand ?

:)
I actually am, but I collected 78s for years due to the performances not the quality. Most had a disclaimer on the label which said “not licenced for radio broadcast”, because although it was know quality was poor, they were the only game in town.

I am referring to DVDs, Blu rays, and even VHS, which were touted as the last word in quality. I bought each format and thought at the time that I was building a long lasting archive.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I am referring to DVDs, Blu rays, and even VHS, which were touted as the last word in quality. I bought each format and thought at the time that I was building a long lasting archive.
I hear you but ultimately it will be up to the individual to discern what is optimal for them. You can't expect the industry to stop trying to keep itself relevant by touting [sometimes dubious] features and improvements. Content used to sell movies but nowadays it seems features play a more important role.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I can see why people get into conspiracies. You begin to think Edison invented 4K blu rays and they were dumbed down so industries would make money for the last 100+ years:wacko:!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I can see why people get into conspiracies. You begin to think Edison invented 4K blu rays and they were dumbed down so industries would make money for the last 100+ years:wacko:!
Please explain...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

When I was young, I do remember formats like 8-track, CED, beta, etc ..... which came and went.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

When I first heard about audio cds, I remember seeing some older relatives buying their music collections again. They even gave me some of their old vinyl records (such as Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Beatles, etc ...), after buying the cd versions. In spite of all the impressive advertising/propaganda about audio cds being superior, etc ... even back then I suspected they were being "conned" by the propaganda into buying everything again at twice the price.

Since then, I strongly suspected a similar "con job" could happen for anything like movies, and later computers, hi-tech devices, etc ...

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Please explain...
You know the old joke! Edison comes out of the lab with a CD in his hand. He says “look what I invented”. The people who are in the lab say “Wait” and proceed to encourage him to dumb it down more and more until it is a cylinder, so they can sell the same music over and over again.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Blu-Ray was already 96 percent of the resolution for movies with 2K digital intermediates. UHD is higher resolution than what pretty much any of us had seen in theaters, until recently, unless you were lucky enough to see a 65mm print at some point. Before the next generation comes along, they're going to need to drastically change the production process.

Until broadband access is universal around the globe, I think disc sales will continue. You can live in a remote Alaskan village with a house running on solar and generators, where the mail comes via bush plane, and watch movies in full 4K quality on disc. Until they have fiberoptic going to places like that, there will be a market for physical media. There are still four Blockbusters north of the 49th parallel for that reason.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Unfortunately this is very true. Remember when we were told by the record companies that LPs were obsolete and CDs were the way to go. Now were told CDs are obsolete and we should all buy our favorites over in vinyl. (BTW, I still like CDs !!!)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Back when I got my first Blu player in late 2012, I started collecting some Blu's. And, I actually thought that Blu's would "take over" the home video format - and that DVD's would be on their way out at that point.

However, even 13 years after the debut of the Blu-ray format (in 2006) I still see a lot of regular DVD's still being produced. In fact, if anything I see more DVD's for sale than Blu's. A lot of this is because the Blu players thankfully are backwards-compatible & still play DVD's, so even if someone has a Blu player they can still buy the less expensive DVD's - i.e., they don't have to go all Blu if they don't want to.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Back when I got my first Blu player in late 2012, I started collecting some Blu's. And, I actually thought that Blu's would "take over" the home video format - and that DVD's would be on their way out at that point.

However, even 13 years after the debut of the Blu-ray format (in 2006) I still see a lot of regular DVD's still being produced. In fact, if anything I see more DVD's for sale than Blu's. A lot of this is because the Blu players thankfully are backwards-compatible & still play DVD's, so even if someone has a Blu player they can still buy the less expensive DVD's - i.e., they don't have to go all Blu if they don't want to.

Well said a true. I thought by now. All the online deals going would of taken over.
WRONG! DVD's are still with us. And going to be for a long time.
And really. It's a good thing.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I never thought that Blu-ray would take over from DVD. Most friends and relatives of mine had taken a long time to move from VHS to DVD, after they could no longer get films on VHS, and there was no way they were going to buy into another format just a few years after getting used to DVD. Additionally most people are not all that bothered about having the best possible picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks