1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

The DVD day's are numbered.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by [email protected], Mar 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Google took all the scanning away from my company.

2. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I've noticed the best reprints which were obviously from scans, were titles reprinted by Cambridge University Press.

The worse reprints done from obvious scans, were from lousy publishers like Elsevier, Springer Verlag, etc ...

If I'm interested in new titles being published by any of these academic publishers, I'll buy the first printing which is frequently not a lousy scanned copy. Frequently the second and subsequent printings will be either scanned reprints, and/or the paper quality is really crappy (ie. almost newsprint quality, etc ...).

Bob Bielski likes this.
  3. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    There has been a new trend in going to digital presses and the quality is horrible. It is cheap and quick but horrible. Another new thing I heard about was in the Billboard industry where they no longer print just put up electronic displays. And there is electronic sheets you can hang in department stores that can change the message. Maybe we will eventually see books that you can flip the pages of but can plug in via USB and change or edit the content, electronic paper.

4. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    One thing books have going for them is the ability to read them on the beach in direct sunlight. The displays still fall short on this. But with the advent of UHD displays who knows. Imagine a display so bright that it throws heat. My poor eyes LOL

jcroy likes this.
  5. Message #85 of 130 Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Another thing I've noticed is that many of these large publishing conglomerates have been gradually shedding/downsizing their academic publishing, such as undergraduate/graduate level textbooks + monographs. For example, behemoths like Wiley, Pearson, etc ... only seem to still be interested in freshman textbooks (and some journals), and not much else.

The side effect of this happening, is that some advanced level textbooks + monographs ended up changing to a more respectable academic publisher like Cambridge University Press. (ie. Frequently less expensive books).

6. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    We had a company meeting last Friday and were told that there used to be 3 large bookbinders in the country left and they just bought one and now just two major players left. I have seen this in the past when I was in commercial print shops. The third largest printer bought us out and became the second largest, all the CEOs and heads of the companies made a killing and we all got layed off and pushed. I fortunately never got picked on. I saw restructuring where a guy with over 20 years at the company got let go and they kept me with 6 yrs. I absolutely felt like hell. Nobody could explain to me how it was right just cost effective. I thank my lucky stars that I am old enough to retire, and my wife makes a great salary so when ALL printing goes south I will be ok.

7. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I recently made a preorder for a new title published by one of the above mentioned lousy academic publishers. That book finally arrived in the mail today.

If I didn't know any better, it looks like the pages were printed up by a laserprinter and bound up into a hardback cover. Looks kinda lousy and cheap. I can't believe I actually paid $100+ for this title as a preorder, but it does have a lot of good information all in one place which I'm interested in. (Also arguably better than printing up hundreds of pages on my home printer, and going through several ink cartridges).

Is this generic digital presses lousy quality? This is very lousy especially for a first printing of a new title.

8. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Compared to offset printing it is terrible.

jcroy likes this.
  9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Not like people think (and here). The trees used for paper are specifically grown to make paper. They come from farms which immediately plant the acreage just harvested. It goes on a rotating cycle with trees being constantly planted (more than 1.7 million trees per day). If paper goes away this acreage will likely be paved over for a new store/parking lot/apartment complex. Paper is a good thing, and is recyclable. If it *does* make it to a landfill it will break down far faster than plastic.

RobertR likes this.
  10. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Just got through reading about Oppo not making any new disc players. Home Theater Review. Streaming is killing off all the hard copy discs. Not just CD or DVD. How can we read a review about video or audio quality of a stream???? Feels like a death. Oh boy by by signal quality.

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I was so happy living in denial now Oppo just slapped me hard and woke me up to reality.

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

From Home Media Magazine numbers

2013 DVD $5.2B (-13% YTY) BD 2.3B (+5%)
    2014 DVD $4.6B (-11%) BD 2.1B (-8%)
    2015 DVD $3.96 (-15%) BD 2.0B (-5%)
    2016 DVD $3.4B (-14%) BD 2.0B (-0.5%)
    2017 DVD $2.8B (-17%) BD 1.9B (-7%)

Q1 2018 DVD $612.1M (-19%) BD $476.8M ( +5.2% YTY)
    DVD still with +22% sales

Historical first after 3 out of 4 weeks of HighDefDiscs outselling SD. In 2017 that only happened 3 times total and in 2016 only once.
    March 2018 DVD $229.5M BD/UHD $239.8M

Unit sales of DVD still far outsell BD/UHD given the average unit price for HD is about double an SD unit.

atcolomb and Bob Bielski like this.
  13. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Thanks Dave you have at least calmed me down from panic mode.

14. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    hopefully it will be a slow and not painful death.

15. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
  16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I wouldn't sign a two year contract for cable unless there was a substantial discount for doing it.

However, if I could lock in my internet rates now, I'd be more tempted to do that. With net neutrality gone, I think it's only a matter of time before service providers start jacking up the rates for different streaming services. In the past, Netflix has paid internet service providers directly for the privilege of getting ultrafast speed on their streams, which is why for some users, Netflix can appear to be working better than other streaming services used on the same device at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix once again coughed up extra dough to make sure that all of their stuff got to where it needed to be. But I'm not sure that Vudu or Hulu or iTunes can be expected to do the same.

17. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    One of the things I have noticed about Netflix is they are everywhere for free. T mobile and now Verizon has it and Comcast as well. I wonder if we will have 5000 channels soon on the web from all over the world in any language. I could be a year older just channel surfing from one end to the other LOL

18. segarolow86@gmail.com

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Dan

19. segarolow86@gmail.com

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Dan
    It's not free. Count on it. You will be charged some place. Some how.

bmasters9 likes this.
  20. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    My family gets a free membership from T mobile because of having 4 or more phones. We were able to sign into Verizon Fios cable tv using email attached to T mobile account, and getting Netlix on cable free of charge.
    Good deal.