What's new

The DVD day’s are numbered. (1 Viewer)

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
A long, long, time ago i had a vhs player like everybody else and bought a few tapes but noticed laserdisc movies and the ones released by Criterion were letterboxed when needed so i stopped buying vhs and started to buy laserdisc. Still have my 3 players and over 300 discs with most being Criterion or box sets like Star Wars or The Godfather and still watch them.

I have two laser disc players. All kinds of laser disc.
You can still find them around..

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
[email protected] post: 4593585 said:
Very true. Caps on your net use will really start to hit the online playing/watching.. And Comcast is the front runner on it. Glad I don't have them.
We have Comcast, and our heaviest usage month was still only 25% of the limit (1024GB) before we would have been charged more. For now, it's really a non-issue for us. I do not even think about their soft cap.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Formats don't matter any more. DVD, CD, SACD, Blu-Ray... it's all good. What matters is the quality of the mastering. Tonight I watched a blu-ray and a DVD. They both looked equally good.

I just purchased the Canadian anamorphic widescreen DVD of John Sayles' MATEWAN, which I hadn't know was available until it was pointed out on this forum. Sitting just a bit further back from the screen than I tend to do with Blu-rays, it looks quite spectacular! $22.00 was the most I have paid for a DVD for years, but this was well worth it. Yes, there are amazingly good DVD's out there.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
[email protected] post: 4589630 said:
I hope I can still get my DVD's & laser disc in 5 years. I think they will still be around. But not like thery are now... Sad to say.

There is always eBay, where almost anything can be found and purchased, with patience.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just purchased the Canadian anamorphic widescreen DVD of John Sayles' MATEWAN, which I hadn't know was available until it was pointed out on this forum. Sitting just a bit further back from the screen than I tend to do with Blu-rays, it looks quite spectacular! $22.00 was the most I have paid for a DVD for years, but this was well worth it. Yes, there are amazingly good DVD's out there.
Do you have a link to that Canadian DVD.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
We have Comcast, and our heaviest usage month was still only 25% of the limit (1024GB) before we would have been charged more. For now, it's really a non-issue for us. I do not even think about their soft cap.
But what if you have a family of 5,6..? You will be over in no time..

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
somebody hasn't told Barnes and Noble
I am a bookbinder and believe me Barnes and Nobles days are numbered so nobody has to tell them. I see less and less demand for books now because of Kindles and Notebooks and the internet. Just look at what is happening to newspapers across the country. I am really old now and have gone through all the different formats, and it is expensive to update content to the latest improved play back signal. So part of me is nostalgic and misses the different formats but the sound and picture does get better and better so maybe not investing in actual hard copy media of any format that probably will change isn't that bad. Just don't trust the cloud based storage. And streaming seams like it can be manipulated, like compressed without telling the end user. Maybe just paranoid.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
When it comes to highly technical type books with a lot of math equations, I still insist on buying the paper versions.

For crappy mass market titles which I only end up reading once, I'm fine with reading the digital ebook versions. For example stuff like: Star Wars novels, rockstar autobiographies/biographies, etc ...

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Trust me the demand is down more and more each year. Guess it is good for trees. Internet is both good and bad. We just have to change with the times. Jcroy one of the biggest clients we have is American Mathematics Society. I make books with calculus, trigonometry and quantum physics equations. The ones I wish I could understand have Fourier transform equations. I could really tweek my room if I new mathematics.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even worse are the digital ebooks of older technical books (ie. before 2010), where all they did was just lousy scans. Really annoying stuff like plus signs "+" which were not scanned properly and end up looking like minus signs "-" etc ...

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Even worse are the digital ebooks of older technical books (ie. before 2010), where all they did was just lousy scans. Really annoying stuff like plus signs "+" which were not scanned properly and end up looking like minus signs "-" etc ...

Yes my company went through a period where they were archiving and scanning library books, some so fragile and old and worn they fell apart. We also scanned to reprint. Now everyone is using acid free paper for longevity. Speaking of longevity, one of the best things that happened was discs multi discs that last so much longer than vinyl. I loved the transition to Laserdisc from VHS not to mention longevity. The scanning was a job that I did horribly. There was a gentleman that worked there and he had a few years experience doing it and he could adjust the parameters in photo shop, the black level, contrast a so on and he would get the scans to really pop. like everything else it takes practice to get good at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks