"The DVD Comes of Age": Tomorrow's NY Times Arts & Leisure section

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ted Todorov, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

It isn't available online yet, but The Arts & Leisure Section on Sunday's (tomorrow's) NY Times is entirely devoted to DVD.

Looks very interesting: All of the normal sections like Art, Dance,
    Theater, Music, TV etc. are devoted to DVD -- no just the Film
    section. Check it out.

In the lead article, Elvis Mitchell calls DVD more influential on film than sound. Lots of good stuff on Criterion in his article.

Ted

2. Galen_V

Galen_V Second Unit

In this week's Arts & Leisure Section, the New York Times has devoted pretty much the whole section to articles relating to "The DVD Comes of Age." It is really well done and covers how DVD has changed all of the arts, from film and TV (most obviously) to dance and art. The Elvis Mitchell article (one of the Times's film critics) is especially relevant as it talks about how DVD has changed the way people watch and look at movies. The section usually comes out Saturday for people with home delivery and Sunday on the newstands. I haven't checked if NY Times.com has posted it, but I know you will have to register with them to read the articles online.

3. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Yes, read it this morning - well worth a look.

4. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

I'm surprised that this section hasn't gotten more play on the HTF. When I checked at about 10 EDT, it had not yet been mentioned.

As Rich and Galen have said, it's really very good; Peter Staddon is even quoted (at least) twice.

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It probably won't go on to the website until 11 PM or thereabouts.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

TVShowsOnDVD owner (and HTF member) Gord Lacey was interviewed for this article.

7. Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz Stunt Coordinator

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    A decent article, aside from some strange remarks from Mitchell (laserdiscs arrived in the 90s? Criterion doesn't list Armageddon on their laserdisc page?).

DJ

9. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

There are a bunch of articles not just one.

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yes, and at least one of them contain spoilers (if you haven't watched S4 of The Sopranos, avoid the Mobster article unless you want to know early what happens to Ralphie. I didn't know, and had avoided spoilers here on HTF about it. Shitheads.).

Looks like Gordo got snubbed quote-wise in the TV-on-DVD article, though I haven't read any but that one and the mobster one yet, so he may be quoted there. The one mention of TVShowsOnDVD in the TV-on-DVD article makes us and our user base sound kinda nutty, y'know? [​IMG]

Having read that article and missing the one line (and its tone) that mentioned TVShowsOndVD until I re-read it, I can say without prejudice that I think the article talked way too much about supplements on these sets, describing examples in way too much nitty-gritty detail. She didn't talk hardly enough about the *phenomenon* of soaring sales of TV-on-DVD releases. A very boring article, and not hardly filled with any actual information. I hope the rest of this special DVD section is better.

12. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

David is, sadly, underused by the NYT. I miss his Macworld Humor columns.

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As a sort of counterpoint to the Arts and Leisure features, the front page of today's (8/17/03) Times has perhaps the most frightening article about DVD I've ever read:

Action-Hungry DVD Fans Sway Hollywood

A representative excerpt:

14. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Dave, you must have missed this article then. It should be more to your liking. (Still no quotes from Gord but there are some from Mr. Staddon and a Warner rep)

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Michael, disturbing excerpts indeed.

16. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Michael, the article you quoted may be accurate if this was still a VHS based market, but the quote ignores many elements of the DVD format that make it a real life saver especially for self-employed moviemakers and the independant movie industry as a whole. For instance:

- You can create a DVD master on your PC, using existing high definition digital transfers as the source material. You can even create your own menu and silk screening designs.
    - You can order a small number of discs from a DVD replication house, all created from the master disc and silk screening designs you created on your PC. Replicating a skinny DVD is much easier and a whole lot cheaper than duplicating a mountain of VHS tapes.
    - You can create your own packaging (a wholesaler for the DVD cases, your PC and Kinko's for the DVD cover art).
    - If the major chains and distributors don't want to carry your DVD, you can still sell it on-line either through your own Web site or through one of the many on-line DVD retail sites that don't mind having the oddball title in their catalogues.

All this wasn't really possible with the VHS format in all the years the format has existed. But with the DVD format as it is now, you can go as far as create your own professional looking DVD releases, and replicate and distribute them entirely from the comfort of your own home if need be. Each copy you sell will be just as good as your master disc. Granted you might not sell as many copies as the latest blockbusters, but at least you get to keep most of the money you make on the sales, minus the cost of supplies and taxes.

Honestly, for those of us who are just as happy to sell a few thousand copies of our work and not necessarily a few million, we've never had it so good.

17. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

18. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I didn't want to register, so I didn't read it, but if the title is 'The DVD Comes of Age', they are surely mistaken, IMO.

To me, coming of age means that anything can be done, and that is not the case at all. I'm only going to mention one trilogy that fans have been screaming for for years now.

But there are other things too. I know that there is another thread around clammoring for the rest of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show'. I can only assume that the sales weren't up to par. I have the 4th season of 'Good Neighbors' and think that the rest won't come out here.

I know that this is sort of a 'DVD on Demmand' issue, but if it is of age, why is there so much out there that we cannot get?

What if I wanted just one episode of MTM? (Chuckles the Clown, to be exact). I'd be willing to get that, along with a few more episodes and pay about $20. for it. I have about 10 more single episodes from different TV shows that I'd love to have, but my hands are still empty.

Coming of Age - Ha! I think it has barely made it to puberty!

Glenn

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul