What's new

The DuPont Show of the Month Wuthering Heights (1957) On TCM (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On Friday December 6, 2019 TCM will be showing a TV version of Wuthering Heights with Richard Burton as Heathcliff.
Also in the cast is a very young Patty Duke as young Cathy. Rosemary Harris is billed as playing Catherine Earnshaw , the adult Cathy . Certainly worth checking out. Not sure if this version deals at all with the second half of the novel, which is about the next generation. The 1939 film only covered the first half of the novel.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/december2019.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217159/

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I set my DVR to record it. Hope it did. Am curious to see it. I was so impressed when TCM presented Shirley Booth's CBS Playhouse version of The Glass Menagerie a year or two ago, and this looks like another unseen gem from long ago.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I set my DVR to record it. Hope it did. Am curious to see it. I was so impressed when TCM presented Shirley Booth's CBS Playhouse version of The Glass Menagerie a year or two ago, and this looks like another unseen gem from long ago.
Funny you should mention that. They were both recovered by Jane Klain. The New Yorker has a good story about it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Funny you should mention that. They were both recovered by Jane Klain. The New Yorker has a good story about it.

Thank you for the link to the New Yorker story Can't wait to see what Jane Klain finds for next December. Hopefully this will continue to be an annual event. I am gratefully that TCM has become a home for this early TV gold, I wish they would promote it. The host introduction didn't even mention that it had not been seen since it was first broadcast. Too busy talking about Taylor and Burton.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Had Oberon had half the talent Harris displayed playing Catherine Earnshaw in this TV adaptation, the film would have been so much better. Harris plays the tormented soul whereas Oberon merely scratches the surface with her pallid, wan characterization. Imagine if a better actress (Lupino, Geraldine Fitzgerald) had played Cathy!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Vivian Leigh wanted to play Cathy but she was offered Isabella which she turned down.If she had gotten the part, it would have been her Hollywood debut instead of that tale of the old south.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm so glad this production was found. I watched it this afternoon and found it quite stirring despite the television production trappings of the era.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Vivian Leigh wanted to play Cathy but she was offered Isabella which she turned down.If she had gotten the part, it would have been her Hollywood debut instead of that tale of the old south.
Fitzgerald nailed Isabella and remains, for me, the best acting in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks