What's new

the dumbest driving I've ever seen (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Driving out of a multi-storey car park this morning, I was going down the exit ramp, which is spiral shaped. A car was going up at a sensible speed, but obviously not quickly enough for the guy behind, who *overtook* him, narrowly missing carving up me on the down ramp. To add insult to injury, this was on the penultimate level of the car park. Just what was so vital about getting to the top level first (it should be added that there were plenty of parking spaces)? I thought I'd seen it all when I pulled over to let an ambulance pass and the guy in the car behind overtook me.

Oh yes, and the guy was driving a BMW (the driver in the ambulance case was a BMW driver as well). Before I get flamed, I should say that I know some good drivers who have BMWs, but why is it that at least 90 per cent of dickheads on the roads also drive BMWs?

Anyone care to relate similar tales of lunacy?

Hugh M

Second Unit
and they don't seem to care that their blue headlights are piercing through your skull as you drive down the road.
people do some really senseless things when they drive. It really annoys me, and scares me at the same time. I realize that alot of people here probably use a cell phone while they are driving, but I won't do it, and I've tried to advise my girlfriend not to as well. Pull over and park, and use the phone. If you hit me, and you're on the phone, you're going to eat it! :)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
To answer Andrew's question:

Maybe it's because that those guys took everybody else's credits in order for them getting up the corporate ladder. Which in return granting the salary level which accomodates them owning a BMW.

Exactly the same case in Canada. That and most Acura owners (but they are largely teenagers with daddy's money to buy the car)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
On consecutive days I saw some bad driving. There's a turn off on the highway that has dual left turn lanes controlled by a light. I'm waiting on the outside lane to go across teh highway then up a looping curve which has the opposite lanes separated by large cement dividers. The light turns green and I turn left across the freeway and proceed up the curve and lo and behold here comes some old guy in a buick in the inside lane going the wrong way! He obviously made a left into the wrong lanes.

Next day I'm sitting at the same left turn light and I see that there are people waiting at the light who came down the looping curve. They need to wait for the light to make a right in front of the highway traffic. I start to go when the light turns green which is green for them as well and the guy in the inside lane across from tries to turn right into the inside left turn lane beside me! I honk and he figures it out and slams on his brakes. He looks behind him and has to wait to back up and get into the right lanes.

Patrick

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Something I have been wondering about BMWs is if they come factory with blinkers? Cuz I don't see too many of them using their blinkers! Pisses me off!!!!!

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Here in Denver/Boulder, "Land of Audi and BMW", the cars do not come equipped with blinkers. They are deemed unnecessary and a vehicular fashion faux pas. Also, above a certain financial status you have the right to cut people off.
Note my hint of sarcasm. :D

DennisZ

Agent
Hey Shawn, it's the same here in Atlanta. Only difference
down here at the car dealers turn signals are an option.
Most drivers don't get them.
Welcome to the Atlanta 500 each and every morning
and afternoon.
:angry: :angry: :angry:
Denny

David Susilo

Screenwriter
BTW, in Markham area, some drivers (readers who know that area will 'get' that inside joke) reads the "ALL WAY" stop-sign as "OPTIONAL" stop-sign

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
BMW drivers fall into two camps: the poseurs who buy them for the badge, and the driving enthusiasts who buy them for the dynamics. The first camp is probably larger than the second; I fall into that second group.

I indicate. I let people out into traffic. Everywhere except freeways, I stick to the speed limit +5mph or so. Lots of BMW drivers don't. But you know what, lots of other drivers don't either.

In fact, as a BMW driver, most bad driving I see is from idiots in 15-year old pickups and SUVs who apparently resent my car so much they try to run it off the road.

My experiences as a Brit living in the US for close to five years now is that almost EVERYONE over here is a bad driver. You don't need to narrow it down to a make of car, the gender of the driver or anything else. Most people, at least in Austin and LA (the two areas I'm familiar with) are just hopeless.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
However 'wrong' it may seem to categorize types of drivers by the cars they drive, it never ceases to amaze me how people do their very best to live the stereotype.
BMWs generally, seem to be driven either by rich wives (that 328 is just so handy for taking the kids to school), company reps (i.e. drive like an asshole), company execs (bit too much to drink at lunchtime sir?) or drug dealers ('nuff said). Of course, the Z3 is most often driven by middle-aged women with a big divorce settlement, or by hairdressers.
Audis I much prefer really (would love an A3!).
Then there are the 4WD 'off road' vehicles which, again, are a favourite amongst women with kids (though the kids themselves seem to need parachutes to actually get down from the damn things). What I really hate, are those who insist on having 'bull bars' fitted to the front of their 'off roader'. I mean, yeah, if you're working on a farm or similar environment they're a good thing to have - but on a road? If you hit someone with bull bars fitted to the car, the chances of killing them goes up dramatically. Some of the worst driving I've ever seen has been from these things.
But of course, nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the obnoxious driving of White Van Man. Some people should just be shot, really.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
BTW, my entire family was almost killed THREE times yesterday, twice at the "all way" stop and very quiet streets, once at a regular stop where my family and I were on the road which does not require stop.
The first one at around 10am going from our house, the Asian BMW driver almost hit our car because for some reason, the stop sign on their side seems to say "optional".
The second one was within the same trip just before we arrive at Costco, another Asian driving a BMW at a very high speed ignored a stop sign, almost hit the rear passanger's side where my daughter was sitting at the time. If BMW brakes were not that great and my car didn't have the overdrive button, the result will be extremely fatal.
The third one was at the exact same spot as the first one, but this one is an old Asian woman driving a new Camry. Doing at least 60 in a 40 zone, not stopping. Good thing that the roads I'm taking have multiple lanes and very quiet roads, if not, there is no way for me to swerve to safe our lives.
PS: two weeks prior to that, my friend was rear ended at the all-way stop intersection as well by a Celica driving Asian. Again, it's his turn to make the move and this Celica from behind him tried to cut everybody's turn so he just tailgated my friend, taking his turn, and since the Celica miscalculated my friend's speed, he rear ended his brand spanking new Altima. His Altima is now still in the shop with broken bumper, tail lights, and trunk lid. The car was less than a month old.
This all happening in Markham area.
Don't get me started with the time something similar happened to my father's car, my mother's car, and my client's car. They were all in Markham area, same stupidity, and quite unfortunately perpetrated by the same group of people. :frowning:

PatrickM

Screenwriter
David, being Asian doesn't make your lumping of all Asians as bad drivers any better. Do you suck too? I'm sorry to hear that there are some really bad drivers in Markham and you've had some bad incidents but do you think all Asian drivers are bad?

My two incidents above were older white men. Do I know think all old white guys are bad drivers? The answer would be no.

Patrick

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
In fact, as a BMW driver, most bad driving I see is from idiots in 15-year old pickups and SUVs who apparently resent my car so much they try to run it off the road.
I've noticed this as well. Since I switched to a BMW, every start from a stop light is now apparently a drag race, and I "lose" 'em all because I'm not even trying!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Well, it's hard to not generalize when my entire family almost got killed THREE TIMES within one day all by Asian drivers. Even when I was rear-ended (but not in Markham) in 1994 which in return resulting permanent damage to my spine (I'm legally disabled) also caused by an Asian. In 2001 while I was crossing the road, after pressing those blinky yellow lights, I got hit by, guess who?, another Asian in an Acura Integra (also NOT in Markham) which results to broken knee and ankle (permanent on my knee).

Not to mention that EVERY SINGLE ACCIDENT happened to my family and my parents too, were all caused by Asian people.

I think if you are crippled for life because of an Asian you will understand.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
David,

I am truly sorry to hear that you were injured by a poor driver and I do believe everyone who drives poorly should be punished and are not taken to task enough these days.

I am also sorry that the traumatic experiences you've had make you feel the way you do. We will just have to agree to disagree since we can only deal with things as we have experienced them.

All the best to you and your family.

Patrick

Scott_G

Second Unit
I drive a BMW (540 ... love it)

But I get passed all the time by other cars.

No car give you the right to drive like crap.

I see more SUV's and trucks passing me and weaving in and out of traffic.

I think it's the drivers not the cars.

I do agree a lot of BMW owners have one for the badge, not the engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks